In memory?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

In memory?

Post by Eric C »

I don't know. I get hair-brained ideas pretty often, but there is something I'm batting around since hearing about Christopher Tolkien's passing. I'm wondering if there is something we could do as a forum to express our condolences and appreciation to the estate. I'm wanting to make a blade and write a story about it. But that could take time. Maybe each of us could contribute our own skills to gifts of some sort? Anyway, any ideas? Any interest?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: In memory?

Post by Taylor Steiner »

I would love to contribute to the making of something you made Eric.
Frodo lives!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

TaylorSteiner wrote:I would love to contribute to the making of something you made Eric.
That would be great! I'm trying to come up with an idea of how this would work. Not all of us are bladesmiths, or blacksmiths. Not all of us are good at working leather (reminds me, I need to post some pics). But each of us is good at something. Each of us has a varying amount of time and resources to work on projects. But we can all do something, I'll wager.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

I can offer some funds?
Frodo lives!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

What's the timeline?
Are you coordinating / can we send pieces to you?

I can send pennies this weekend, but if we have a few weeks breathing room I'll get a little scrap of illumination done as well.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

We have a while. I and another forum member are sort of brainstorming. I'll let him chime in as he sees fit. One major problem we see is, where do we send it? If it goes to the estate, it may end up in a storage room at best.

Ideas, input is greatly welcomed.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:How about: http://www.greisinger.museum/en/
Erm... that just might be the thing to do. Thanks Peter! I will check out the site once I get home tonight. But upon first impressions, it would be great to have our goods displayed there.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I don't think I have anything I can easily contribute (yet - I'll give it some thought) but this is an awesome idea :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Iodo wrote:I don't think I have anything I can easily contribute (yet - I'll give it some thought) but this is an awesome idea :P
Seriously? Your leatherwork is awesome! It will take me a little time as well. Also, I will be posting pics of the gift you sent me tomorrow (Saturday).
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eric C wrote: Seriously? Your leatherwork is awesome! It will take me a little time as well. Also, I will be posting pics of the gift you sent me tomorrow (Saturday).
Thanks so much :P I've been far to busy since work started after Christmas (new managers making changes to things and the extra work always falls on engineers) If I can think of something simple, maybe a coin pouch for Elleth's coins? I should be able to do that
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That would be great. Sorry about the extra work. That always throws a kink into things we enjoy. I have to remind myself that so does being unemployed.

Last night I had to take care of some things for an upcoming Veteran's Admin meeting so I didn't get to check out Pete's site. I will do it before I go to the forge today.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Regarding recipient: I think I personally would prefer one with a more direct connection to Christopher Tolkien's family, even if that means less chance of public display.
I'm happy to bow to the community consensus there, of course.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Elleth wrote:Regarding recipient: I think I personally would prefer one with a more direct connection to Christopher Tolkien's family, even if that means less chance of public display.
I'm happy to bow to the community consensus there, of course.
This is certainly worth discussion. I am NOT the only or even the final say on any of this. If we can come up with a direct recipient that is willing to receive the items, we will definitely consider it. All of this is still in its infancy.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Regarding recipient: I think I personally would prefer one with a more direct connection to Christopher Tolkien's family, even if that means less chance of public display.
be careful about sending anything with a blade to the UK, at the moment a lot of stuff from over sea's is being X-rayed and confiscated at the post depots, I don't know the full story/reasons so don't take this as fact but I haven't risked buying that kind of thing from outside the UK for at least 6 months, since a friend (who's over 18 so it's fully legal for him to own) bought a knife and received a note saying it had been confiscated with no reasons given :(