Hunh. Faramir had never met an elf before...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Hunh. Faramir had never met an elf before...

Post by Elleth »

... I'd forgotten about this little nugget of dialogue from TTT:
Not Orcs,' said another, releasing the hilt of his sword, which he had seized when he saw the glitter of Sting in Frodo's hand.

`Elves? ' said a third, doubtfully.

`Nay! Not Elves,' said the fourth, the tallest, and as it appeared the chief among them. `Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wondrous fair to look upon, or so 'tis said.'
"Or so 'tis said."

Apparently Faramir - son of the Steward of Gondor - didn't know for certain what an elf looked like. Despite his station and the great population of Minas Tirith - he'd never even seen one with his own eyes. Nor had any of his men.

.... I think I'm going to have to update my mental image of Gondor a bit. I'd have certainly guessed that there was enough trade via Belfalas and the men of Dol Amroth that some contact with the elves existed.

I guess not. Hunh.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Hunh. Faramir had never met an elf before...

Post by Udwin »

It's not too inconceivable. The Dol Amroth crowd have 'elvish blood' (explaining their naturally beardless faces (UT 2:4), but the main source of contact between Gondorians and Elves would be the haven at Edhellond, which was abandoned when the last ship sailed in 1981 TA (about 1040 years before the War of the Ring). Plenty of time to forget what elves look like, even if their genes persist.

Speaking of Gondorian nuggets, I came across this: “It may be noted that at the end of the Third Age there were prob. more [Men] that knew Quenya, or spoke Sindarin, than there were Elves who did either! Though dwindling, the population of Minas Tirith and its fiefs must have been much greater than that of Lindon, Rivendell, and Lórien. In Gondor ... Sindarin was an acquired polite language and used by those of more pure Númenórean descent, esp. in Minas Tirith, if they wished to be polite.” (Letter 347)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

On the other hand it may be conceivable that Faramir had indeed seen elves before, but was making a slightly facetious remark about their looks.... But I confess that your interpretation seems more likely. :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I agree with Elleth that Faramir most likely had never seen an elf before but the idea of him randomly dissing the elves to these strange folk that they have captured is hilarious to me.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ha!

In context, I don't think he was dissing them though. Just old heroic language I think for "well people say such-and-such is true, but I don't really know..." :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.