Summer 2010 Photo Contest

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Summer 2010 Photo Contest

Post by Greg »

Greetings, one and all!

I've been thinking back over things I could do to improve the photo contest this time around, and it occurred to me that one of the biggest improvements this time around is simply the season that it's happening in. Everyone should have substantially more kit-able weather on their hands, making taking photos much easier.

However, that being said, last season's incurred a number of delays/extensions, and I think that's because I simply didn't give you all enough time to think through your photos/locations, etc. So I've decided to open the contest up early, to give you all as much time as possible to think of locations that would best suit the categories, come up with poses/shot ideas, and actually find the time to take them.

Lastly, the biggest improvement I'm making, is, quite simply, that I'm going to be working on the prizes WHILE the contest is going on, rather than waiting until after a winner's been decided, thus causing the prizes to be delivered months after the fact. But that part's all on me *chuckles* Chris, your arrows are almost done!

On to the contest!

The contest starts right now, and will go through the end of August. That's FIVE MONTHS. Less than last time due to all of the extensions, but come on...you have ALL SUMMER!

This season, things will be a little bit different. We're only going to have FIVE categories this time, and we will NOT have a miscellaneous category. I nearly went broke making all the stuff from last time (kidding!) However, with fewer categories comes TOUGHER categories. I'm stepping things up a bit, because we've all seen what you people can do with a camera. In addition to having fewer categories, there's going to be another element added to the judging, and that is LOCATION. Not the location that you take your photo at (though keep in mind, the more realistic it looks, the better), but the location in Middle Earth. Below, I will be providing a few maps of sectors of Middle Earth. When you are ready to post your images, rick click on the map, save it to your computer, and open it up in Microsoft Paint or your equivalent drawing program, and place a brightly colored dot of reasonable size showing the exact "location" where the image was captured that you're trying to depict. Many of your locations will be similar due to a few of the categories being location-specific, but still try be as accurate as possible in the placing of your dots. I'm not using a fullsize ME map so we can see more detail, allowing you to show us exactly where it was, so take advantage of this. After you've drawn your dot, please also add a number next to it, indicating which category (1 through 5) that dot corresponds to, so we can match your dots to your photos.

Judging will be based on the same things as last season, chiefly REALISM. CONVINCE YOUR AUDIENCE that they aren't looking at Pete Remling, but they are looking at a Middle Earth Ranger who has a striking resemblance to Pete Remling, etc. Get the idea?

Lastly, of all the changes, this one is the biggest. I am going to narrow the categories down to a winner for each. YOU, the community, will be deciding by vote in a Poll which of the preliminary winners takes the grand prize. Pete inspired this idea, and I love it. Takes the stress off of me, and makes it a people's choice, rather than "Greg's Favorite".

Alrighty, ON TO THE CATEGORIES!

1) In the Shire
Show us what you believe a watch would appear like in the Shire. We have been charged with guarding the borders of these quiet, happy lands for a long time. Is it a laid back charge? Are we extremely cautious? What does a day in the shire look like for a Ranger of Arnor?

2) The Last Defender of Sarn Ford
Inspired by Mirimaran's writing, YOU are now the last Ranger that stands in the way of the nine and the Shire. Show us what it looked like. Show us Sarn Ford.

3) Look to the Black Ships
You are a member of the Grey Company, and you have emerged from the Paths of the Dead. Do you see the ships, or are you standing in wait for their arrival along the shores of Anduin? Do we see the whole of the company, or are you standing alone, stalwart on the shore?

4) The Last Thing They'll Ever See
Ranger, Rohirrim, men of Gondor, or Men of Dale, any and ALL can participate in this category (and that was the goal!)
This is the only photo I'm giving you specific instructions for. This is to be taken from the perspective of your soon-to-be vanquished foe. Show us what they see of you, right before you put an arrow through their head, slice their torso wide open, or similarly dispatch said assailant. Action shots are encouraged! (PLEASE BE SAFE! DON'T AIM AN ARROW NEAR YOUR CAMERA UNLESS IT'S ON A TRIPOD, UNMANNED!)

5) The High Seat of Amon Hen
Another category tailored to fit any race of Middle Earth, for the participation of our non-ranger friends from the south and the east. Either show yourself viewing the lays of Gondor FROM the seat, or show a view of the hill and the seat, with yourself at the top or in the foreground looking up at it. The second might require some setting up with a photographer, depending on how much of your hill you want to show in the photo, etc.

Alright, there you have it. It's gonna be tougher this time around, isn't it? You're not gonna be able to take as many photos in your backyard, are you? NOPE! That's the idea! The point of the photo contest last season was to encourage you to get in your kit and get out into the wonderful world we're in. I'm just pushing you a little further out your hobbit holes this time!

I WILL be posting my own photos this time around (I'm actually heading out to take the first of those right now!) to help encourage and inspire you. Remember, photoshopping IS allowed, within reason. If you're unsure about whether an edit is permissible, PM me.

Any questions, ask here! I'll have the maps up tonight or tomorrow.

As for the prizes...I'm not announcing those until I have a proper picture of the grand prize that does it justice. It's safe to say someone's going to be a very happy camper.

-Greg

I found a map that's large enough to give us detail in any part of middle earth (click on it to zoom in), so please use the following map for your locations. If you are having trouble marking your locations, shoot me a PM and I'll do it for you. When you post your pictures, please post your map as a link rather than as an image so the forum doesn't stretch out wider than the screen.
Middle Earth Map
Last edited by Greg on Tue May 04, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Summer 2010 Photo Contest

Post by Eledhwen »

Hmmm. Presents a pretty challenge given the state I live in. Hmmm......

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Dang, I knew I should have titled that poem, "Mirimaran took a long nap on the couch", instead LOL

Eledhwen, I am sure if you come down here on vacation, we Rangers here in NC could do a great group shot!

Great contest Greg, let me get my thinking cap on and see what I can do!

P.S. I got my fishing kit today! Thank you! Very cool! I appreciate the time and effort you put forth in it. It is so funny, I forgot all about it and when I got the package out of the mail box, I was like "what is this?" I felt the pole in it and the first thing I thought was "pipe bomb!" and my wife said, "open it away from your face!" lol thanks again!

P.P.S. If we do a pic and manage to look like Pete Remling, do we get extra points? 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elegost »

Oh good anouther comp! Last one I missed, just a quick question! where do I post my picture? in this thread or a seprate one?

Thanks

-Elegost
Greg

Post by Greg »

Mirimaran wrote:If we do a pic and manage to look like Pete Remling, do we get extra points? 8)
Perhaps next season, there'll be a "look like Pete" category, complete with a bonus for "Best constipated face".
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Dang, I knew I should have titled that poem, "Mirimaran took a long nap on the couch", instead LOL
Damn it man, I could have aced that one. You should have know it'd be a category int he next contest. Nice going pal, nice going.
Last edited by mcapanelli on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Ooooh, I love the location angle on things. My mind is already digging for ideas...

Huzzah for contests!
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elegost wrote:Oh good anouther comp! Last one I missed, just a quick question! where do I post my picture? in this thread or a seprate one?

Thanks

-Elegost
Forgot to go into the detail that I did last time around...yes, post your entries here. Post them with a labeled copy of the appropriate map(s), and post the category name above each picture. If you wish to replace an entry with a better photo, feel free to do so...just bear in mind, the most recently posted picture of each category is the one I'll take, so if you change your mind, edit out the photos you don't want, or PM me telling me which one you want to keep.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:If we do a pic and manage to look like Pete Remling, do we get extra points? 8)
Perhaps next season, there'll be a "look like Pete" category, complete with a bonus for "Best constipated face".

This is one I'll ace, I already started my "only cheese" diet.

Pics to follow........................................... Well, not really !
:roll:
David

Post by David »

Should be fun :) Looking forward to seeing all the photos from everyone!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've posted a link to the map at the bottom of my first post. Please follow the instructions there, and remember, I'd be MORE than willing to post your locations for you if you're having trouble.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Two more months!

I've taken almost all of my sample photos...just need David's help with a few more and then I'll be posting them. Hoping to start seeing yours soon, too!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I was thinking of this last night! I am glad you bumped this to the top and reminded me. I'm on vacation this coming week and may be able to set up some photos. "The last thing they'll ever see" should be easy enough. I've got a couple of awesome (in my opinion) ideas for that one. But the rest? Location, location, location(s)? Not to mention props. We'll see what I can come up with this week.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Hmmm. Extra challenging in a number of ways. I'll see what may be done.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Question -- is only one entry allowed per category?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.