Hygiene in the world of Tolkien.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

I've been takintg herbalism classes in Eugene from an apothecary. very intelligent woman. If the interest we're great enough I could be convinced to scan my notes, which cover tinctures, infusions, oil influsions, alcohol infusions, digestive health, blood health, cold and flue, lunaception herbs (for women), and various others. Not entirely first aid,but a good base to further enter into the first aid sectors of herbalism...

St Johns wart(I believe) tincture mixed with sunflower seed oil extract makes a very good sunscreen, high spf. You could add soem cocoa-butter too if you wanted a cream:)

Let me know, and with proper convincing I can scan those...
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm sure interested and would love to read your notes.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Alright. I photocoped them at one point, so either I can make xerox copies quickly and mail them, or I can try finding a mass-page-scanner somewhere at a Kinkos and post a zip packet for download. Either is fine with me, but just so everyone can grab it, I'll aim for that. Give me few days past monday to figure that out.

I have to forwarn you that my handwriting isn't amazing, and I have a semi-photographic memory so there's a little bit of graphic design that goes into my hand written notes. I will number the pages so if you hav eany questions you can refer and ask, because a small part of my notes is written in a way to bring to mind a whole lecture without writing it all down.

If anyone finds and herbalism sites on first aid work, I would be excited to expand my knowledge in that direction too.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'm excited about this and can't wait to read those notes. Thanks so much for this. In the meanwhile I'll go though my own notes and see what sites I can dig up.
Winter is coming
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

alright. I will do what I can as soon as possible. Got a lot to do before I leave for the event. one week camping. Fighters, drinkers... should be intersting;)

I will scan the stuff tomorrow if I can get someone from kinkos to do it, otherwise I will get it done alter in the week.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Hair care

Post by Eledhwen »

An idea for keeping the hair, and scalp of course, clean is baking soda. I use it anyway as a standard wash and have done so for a couple of years now. Entirely biodegradable and simple enough to do.

Take a tablespoon or two of baking soda, mix with water into a creamy sort of paste, massage into scalp and hair, not scratch; use the tips of the fingers. Gets the scalp and hair nice and clean I must say, though it can take a week or so to figure out the right amount to use for each person.

For we ladies, a kind of conditioner would be a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water and rinsed through the ends of the hair. The smell passes in short order and it works as well as any commercial product...and again is entirely safe.

Whether it is worth taking any into the bush is another thing, up to each person I should think. But clean hair and a clean scalp help deter bugs to at least some degree.

For what it is worth.

Siani
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A paste of baking soda and water also makes a great toothpaste and has been used for such for well over a hundred years.