Hygiene in the world of Tolkien.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Hygiene in the world of Tolkien.

Post by mcapanelli »

Hello all,

Well you know I've been wondering, how hygienic were the Dunidane and what implements did they use to "Keep" themselves. We know from history the average medieval citizen was not the most hygienic person around. It's also my understand that hygiene is of vital importance in the field. Don't wash your feet and air them and your boots out you'll end up with a fungal foot infection that could prove fatal out in the wilds. I've not found very much reference, and nothing that readily springs to mind, in Tolkiens writings.

I would think a basic kit would include some sort of implements to aid in the hygienic upkeep of sorts, but what would these tools look like, what would they be? I was thinking a small very sharp primitive folding knife, some home made soap, some pine pitch (Balsam is preferred) for burns and other wounds, and maybe a scented oil for the occasional meeting at an Elf lords home. Add to that some extra linen scraps for bandages and your set. You could always make an antiseptic from plant roots to apply to the wound as needed. So what are all your thoughts?
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A horn comb, the type with not only a side for normal hair combing but one with a very fine close comb for lice and fleas.

Some dried mint sprigs for getting rid of morning breath.

Breaking open small twigs and useing them to clean one's teeth.

A coarse cloth for scrubing skin free of dirt and dried sweat.

Your small camp knife will trim and clean your nails quite handily.

A straight razor for shaving and fine wood work (hobby or shaving wood splinters for kindling).

When no soap is available, a handful of earth mixed with water makes a nice abrasive cleaning scrub that will remove stuck dirt, sap and a goodly amount of skin. Rinse thoroughly !

In the past a common mouthwash was warm salt water.

That's all I can come up with at the moment.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

My last post was my 50th and I went from" Wanderer " to "Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands".

I'm not exactly silent am I ? :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I guess you really walk a fine line between using proper hygene and smelling out of place in the woods. On the one hand, you don't want the Uruk Hai (or deer) smelling you out. But on the other hand- and a very serious hand- you don't want to contract anything that is easily avoidable by using proper hygene. I guess you have to smell "naturally clean." :wink: Stay clean, but don't smell like you are going out on a date with that fine woman you've been afraid to ask out - or your wife if you're married.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Couldn't let you stay ahead of me there Pete. :P I just joined you as a silent watcher.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well as I understand it (And I'm really very new to all this) humans are quite the stinky animals. I would think you'd have to maintain a "neutral" scent. So while you don't want to smell like it's Prom night you also don't want to smell like you only bathe on alternate Tuesdays during a leap year because I'd think either would give you away (I think I just said the same thing you did Eric. I'm a little slow on the uptake, sorry)
So what would the best way be to do that while staying within the Tolkien myth. Also do you think a cover scent is necessary?
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Just bathing with water and soap (primitive lye soap generally has no scent added) should be sufficient. You can make a primitive soap by boiling tallow and adding wood ash.

Fabrics can carry a lot of scenst too. Think about your shirt the next day after going to a bar where smoking is allowed. Carrying a change of clothing or washing your clothing regularly will make a big difference in scent.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

And what's wrong with bathing on alternate Tuesdays during a leap year? :shock: That's the closest thing we have to a sick smiley, lol. But yeah, we're on the same page. And if you ever doubted that humans stink, try going to the field for a week, then come back, lock up your gear in a secure place, bathe yourself, then go and retrieve your gear. You will either clean it or burn it!
But I am going along with what Pete said. I'm really pretty new to this myself. "Camping" in the Army wasn't really camping like what we are talking about.
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

What do you guys think about balancing period hygiene with Leave-No-Trace hygiene? I guess what I'm asking is, which would you rather use: period lye soap or biodegradable soap?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I don't think it would make a real difference. True lye soap has no non-biodegradable ingredients. Just boil tallow (animal fat) add wood ash and keep boiling until it starts to solidify. Even if you lost your lye soap in a stream it would break down to it's base components quickly and none of which are really harmful to wildlife. The lye might "burn" a small area of the ground but even this would come back after several good rains and probably better fertilized than the surrounding area.

If you're asking whether one of us are that "period" obsessed, I don't know. Considering that there is no real "period" and we can only reference certain materials and human functions, I'd have a tendency of saying something like that would be acceptable. No one would think that a diabetic shouldn't bring his'/her's insulin with them on a Ranger outing (at least I hope not).

Still planning on your annual Survival weekend ? If so take pics again.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Peter Remling wrote:Still planning on your annual Survival weekend ? If so take pics again.
I am, and definitely will. And get this--my girlfriend asked to come, is fine with tentless ground-sleeping, and is already gathering her own gear. (This is either going to be an unmitigated disaster or prove that she is the awesomest woman of all time--I'm leaning toward the latter, but only time will tell.)

Funny how we're talking about period hygiene, because having a woman on this year's trip has forced us to consider certain hygienic things which may or may not be a factor, which have never been a factor on all-guy trips. And I find myself wondering how such things were done in the olden days.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've read in some books that both dried mosses and clean rags were used depending on the time frame and culture. The use of old cloth is obvious but the use of dried mosses stuck in my mind as other sources have mentioned certain mosses as having clotting capabilities and others having antiseptic qualities.

Chris, l'm hoping she's the "awesomest"!
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hygiene in the field is a key factor in staying healthy. Especially, as Mike said, foot maintenance and also taking care of little wounds so they don't become big wounds.
True, you don't want an artificial scent on you, but you will always have a human scent to the animals. Orcs hunted down Elves and men by scent, both groups living in the wilds.

The hobbits bathed in copper tubs and dried off with towels when they arrived in Crickhollow.

Andy
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Hygiene is very culturally different. In Dance With Wolves or Last Samurai, the non-westerner states the westerners smell. While in the field, I usually did not find anyone extremely offensive, but when I came home, my wife made it clear how ripe I was. We acclimatize ourselves to diet and environment but we effect any foreigners’ senses.

I think one can separate between Hygiene as body maintenance & 1st Aid as body repair.
My small kit and habits [summarizing previous comments and adding my own] keeping in mind, every little bit adds weight. “Travel light, freeze at night”

Hygiene:
Small Folding knife for camp use and trimming nails -could also use for shaving and drop the razor
Wash using home made soap [recipe in the Survial manual] or take an “Air Bath.” Pay attention to the crotch & pits, at a minimal.
Wash cloth, [opt]
Scented oil for the occasional meeting at an Elf lords home.
Horn comb – keep hair clean, combed, & trimmed.
Warm salt water or herb-infusion for mouth wash.
Chewing stick to clean one's teeth.

For many great habits and How-To’s, read the Personal Hygiene section at:
http://www.aircav.com/survival/asch04/asch04p01.html
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

First Aid:
Natural Antiseptic, like Tea Tree Oil
Good knowledge of herbs
http://www.herbcompanion.com/Health/Mak ... d-Kit.aspx
Lip Balm, home made or you can even use earwax.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... lm&spell=1
Smaller linen scraps and gauze strips for bandages
Triangular Bandage, think large bandana or scarf, for bandages or sling

More important than a good first aid kit, which will only handle minor injuries, is the training, knowledge, and application to handle the numerous emergency situations one could encounter. Take some Red Cross classes or read up and practice on some friends.

Ref:
FM 21-76, Survival, 1992
Hugh McManners, The Complete Wilderness Training Manual