Who's been in the woods...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Who's been in the woods...

Post by Andy M »

...or is going?

Once the packers take all my house hold goods next week (minus what we keep out for hold baggage that gets picked up and sent just before we fly) I'd like to get some time in the woods. Paul Champagne is coming over in June and we will surely have some Ranger time.

Andy
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I've been on some minor walks in the local (read: surburban) wilds, but nothing very far yet. However, the last weekend in June will be my annual primitive trek, which I am currently making a gear push for. (On my to-do list: finish making a hawk sheath, haversack, neck knife sheath, spare tunic, and spare breeches; borrow a second canoe from someone; figure out period fishing supply (I'd really like a 12x4 net to make a weir out of, and maybe some horsehair line); acquire some slab bacon)
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I've done some minor trips through wetlands, campgrounds, state parks, etc. Being in the SCA (www.sca.org) I do a lot of camping, and I try to keep my trips as medieval/ranger as possible. Right now I have a lot of gear that needs to get outsourced from modern materials (nylon tents and plastic what nots), but yeah..
Sadly, I believe you're in New York? Well, Oregon and New York are just far enough that a poor college student has no way of getting to you. Someday maybe.... or if I get that 500 acres I mentioned.... ;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

You know, it's like I've said on my site, better to get out and move around with what you have than to wait until you have a complete period kit. For all of us, having a modern day life keeps us from being able to do nothing but work on our kit or skills.

I'm in Germany about to move to Colorado.

Andy
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Colorado is do-able. I might come find you guys next time you go out? A good friend of mine is ex-navy and did a lot of back forest work that he isn't allowed to talk about somewhere in the philipines or such areas. Him and his friends(Some ex-marines and such) do 1-item survival camping, or at least used to. They each pick an item and go out together. He said he'd take me out and show me tricks sometime....

either way, we'll do some packing someday soon I hope:)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

No!!! :evil: I have planned to get into the woods several times since April but I've had to cancel for some reason or another. But soon. . . very soon.