Who's up for a wiki?

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Who's up for a wiki?

Post by caedmon »

'K guys, to help, log in and play around. The idea of a wiki is that it's ridiculously easy to edit. Kick the tires. Port content over, or just play. The site remembers edits, if someone messes things up on purpose or accidentally it's easy to recover. I do want to make a Bridge to the forum at some point, but don't let that stop you.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ok I'll start- I choose Fire starting as a test. Right off the bat I had 117 posts and that's just on the search of fire starting. I checked several other Wikis and decided on a format so I can pre-list everything I need. I then started writing an intro to my topic and a list of tools/materials needed. I'm now going to go through all those searches and categorize them by skill level, materials and system.

Before I go too much further. Am I overkilling this ? Does anyone have a simpler way ?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oops, nevermind. I just actually looked at the wiki page, and it appears most of my questions have been answered. Groovy :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

a question regarding reposting: I found a link to a bow drill post, this post was put in MERanger by a member of MERF and was created by the poster. Can I repost without the express permission of the OP ?
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

'K guy's I am floored with the response to this. This is great. I know some people might not be familiar to wikis so let me mention some of the basic assumptions that most wikis make that I would like to ensure we know about for our own success.

First .. pace yourself. We want to keep this up for the long haul.

Next I have set this wiki up on an Creative Commons- Attribution/Share Alike License. I thought that I had set this forum up in the same way as well, but I can't find the proof.

Code: Select all

What that means is that stuff on the wikis is assumed to be written by the writer, and is freely licensed to anyone to use as they see fit, as long as they:  

1. say they who/where they got it from, 2. don't misrepresent what you said, and 3. all derivative works are released with a similar license.

It should be mentioned that this does not apply to works that are covered under other licenses or forms of copyright.

In other words, DON'T POST WHOLE CHAPTERS OF LOTR TO THE WIKI, that copyright is held by Tolkien's heirs. Snippets less than 500 words should be acceptable as that is covered by fair use.  Also I believe that things like links to scans of the  Medieval Tailor's Assistant which have been posted to the forums before should be kept off the wiki. 

Other than that, wikis are a place where anyone can edit/contribute. Your post can/will be edited. Don't get mad. That's how wikis are supposed to work. Unless it is a case of Orcs vandalizing things, it's probably someone being helpful. If they're right, then the article/page is better. If not, then we talk about it and agree to the best solution.

In other words check your ego at the door, this is a place for grownups to share how to best to play in the woods. (And if you're not a grownup, we still expect you to behave like one.)
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Peter Remling wrote:a question regarding reposting: I found a link to a bow drill post, this post was put in MERanger by a member of MERF and was created by the poster. Can I repost without the express permission of the OP ?

By MERanger, do you mean Andy's original forum? I think it's ok. You can do one of two things. You can re-write it in your own words. Or you can repost it with attribution.
-Jack Horner

robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I look forward to this, it will be a great tool.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks Greg, seems a pretty simple way of attaching.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Just checked the pages out- the y look great with the pics- Thanks again. Your page looks professional- Well Done Sir.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Jack, the code on your Nockert Type 1 page was a little funky (the code has to have TWO brackets on each end), so I fixed it, but I think you may need to re-upload your images...there's a car, a wierd plant thing, and some other stuff that showed up. Not sure what happened there.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Playing with fonts... let me know if it's to much...
-Jack Horner

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love the font!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

I usually think page-wide fonts are over the top...in this case, that couldn't be farther from the truth. It looks spectacular, and helps make the text fit the page skin better. Makes us look way more professional than this ragtag group of ingrates actually is. *chuckles*
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

You're doing a great job people!! The wiki looks fantastic!

Um... did anyone archive some of the pages from Andy's original site? If someone still has them, perhaps some of them could be put on the wiki?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Funny you should mention that.

I have a fully archived copy of ALL of the images from Andy's site. His text shouldn't be brought over, but things he's written on this forum can be dug up, and his images were posted here constantly and were generated for the specific purpose of promoting rangering, so I've begun bringing in some of his photographs to help supplement our wiki. If anyone remembers an image from his page that they'd like on a page you're working on, feel free to let me know. I'll be uploading some of the images I need for mine today. For those who remember, Paul Champagne in Ranger garb may be immortalized nowhere else but on our wiki. I'm sure he'd have liked that.