Wiki Content

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Who's up for a wiki?

Post by Greg »

The amount of focus in the wiki on RA and Emberverse will depend entirely on how much you all put into building those pages. I've read the RA series, but I won't be putting any work into building those pages...it's not something I focus on or am interested in reenacting. If no one does over time, I may just remove those labels as it'd be clear that they aren't needed. My focus is exactly how Jack described it...90% tolkien with a historical flavor.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg

Re: Wiki Content

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, I made a few changes to headings on the front page to show off the tolkien-font in contrast to the new standard text for body text/paragraphs, etc. As a result, I also changed the names of a few sub-headings, such as "Ranger Weapons and Martial Arts" became "Arms/Armor" so that it would fit within the new column setup and not distort the page's flow, etc. I apologize if someone was attached to the title...we can always change it back; this just prevents the text from wrapping funny and keeps the tables lined up.

I've also added the new widgets to a few pages, notably the Andy archive. If you make a page, please place one or more of the following sets of code at the very top of it, and then hit enter/return two-three times. Place each string of code immediately up against the previous, without spaces, and it'll create for you a string of these little logos across the top to display which different "departments" the content on your page addresses.

Code: Select all

[[file:Historical.png|50px]]

[[File:Tolkien_Widget.png|50px]]

[[File:Araluen_Widget.png|50px]]

[[File:Emberverse_Widget.png|50px]]
This will help us keep things uniform...all of the pages save the front page will have them displayed at the same size, and in the same place.

Again, Jack, they look great.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Anyone know how to delete previously-uploaded files or whole pages on the MERWiki? I have some things that need updating and I'd prefer to get rid of the old ones when I'm done. Possible?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Not sure...I'll look into it.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'd like to contribute some help editing this if I may.
Firstly, is there an obvious way to get to the Wiki from the forum page? If it is obvious, then I regret that I have overlooked it.
My gratitude.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've found the easiest way is to simply delete the "/forum" bit from the URL.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Of course, a "peel-back" is a common work-around.
For first-time visitors, however, the existence of the wiki is not even apparent.
Do we want to hide it?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The goal is to make the wiki the front page. This will be aided by it getting more hits. To that end, if you update your bookmarks so that you go to the wiki every day, and then follow the link to the forum, it'll gain status on Google, etc.

It couldn't hurt to have a link going back, though...I'll message jack about it.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks!
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'm not sure how to offer edit suggestions on the Wiki page. I can create and mark up pdf files if that helps. I've been creating and editing basic html pages for years.

Here's a suggestion anyway: Move "Sword Types" from the "Swordsmanship" page into the page for "Swords" instead and make that a "green" topic.

What do you think?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Made sense to me. Done.

Not sure how we wound up with both of those...good eye.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Many years agone, I made a tutorial on how to make a leather water bottle. The site that hosted it is long gone, along with the content.
Or so I thought. I found another website that had stolen my content and was hosting it on their site.
All's well, I guess. I stole my content back and now I have ported this tutorial to the Wiki. Pics to follow. Please let me know what you think.
http://www.middleearthrangers.org/wiki/ ... ter_bottle
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Kortoso wrote:Many years agone, I made a tutorial on how to make a leather water bottle. The site that hosted it is long gone, along with the content.
Or so I thought. I found another website that had stolen my content and was hosting it on their site.
All's well, I guess. I stole my content back and now I have ported this tutorial to the Wiki. Pics to follow. Please let me know what you think.
Hah! Good man! XD
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Manveruon wrote:
Kortoso wrote:Many years agone, I made a tutorial on how to make a leather water bottle. The site that hosted it is long gone, along with the content.
Hah! Good man! XD
Thank you. My pleasure.