Wiki Content

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Wiki Content

Post by Peter Remling »

Alright I started the fire starting entry.

Now I have yet to figure out how to attach pics and threads. I fully plan on adding both once I figure out how to. It says you can't cut and paste and with my Kindergarten computer Education that's about all I know how to do. :)

Would someone take a look and critique it thus far.

http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/in ... e_starting

All comments pros and especially cons are wanted.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Who's up for a wiki?

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:Alright I started the fire starting entry.

Now I have yet to figure out how to attach pics and threads. I fully plan on adding both once I figure out how to. It says you can't cut and paste and with my Kindergarten computer Education that's about all I know how to do. :)

Would someone take a look and critique it thus far.

http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/in ... e_starting

All comments pros and especially cons are wanted.
Pete, it's looking good. I'm going to go ahead and add some images for you...feel free to flesh out the descriptions with some basic instructions for each when you have some time. You might consider linking the flint and steel bit to a separate page, and then just plug in Frothgar's article (or just link to the Forum page where his article is.)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Wiki Content

Post by Peter Remling »

How about the separation by topic but with an authenticity level (parameters to be worked out) listed next to it. The Authenticity level could be listed something like:

TA- Tolkien Authentic
HA- Historically Authentic
AA- Arulean Authentic
B5RA- Babylon 5 Ranger Authentic
Etc

This would also allow for multiple rating such as TA, HA and AA for say lighting a fire with flint and steel.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I agree with Peter entirely. We could even make little icons that could be posted at the top of each page, perhaps - one for each category of authenticity, and then we could either use the sort of "five star" system that Historic Enterprises uses (which I was actually going to mention myself as a fantastic example of how to approach it) and place the stars next to the category marker, or we could just use the category marker icons themselves as the "stars," so that the more a given page had of one kind of icon or another, the more authentic it would be rated in that particular category.

...If that made sense at all.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Greg wrote:Now we're talking.

Jack...the skin. That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Any references to you as a porker are entirely coincidental.
At least you didn't call me, "Babe". I might not have got the context...

As for Authenticity badges how about...
rating-widgets.png
rating-widgets.png (22.04 KiB) Viewed 20602 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I dig it! We may want to have a key somewhere on the page though, for any newcomers who might be a bit bewildered by the rating system.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I dig it! We may want to have a key somewhere on the page though, for any newcomers who might be a bit bewildered by the rating system.
On it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

caedmon wrote:
Greg wrote:Now we're talking.

Jack...the skin. That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Any references to you as a porker are entirely coincidental.
At least you didn't call me, "Babe". I might not have got the context...

As for Authenticity badges how about...
rating-widgets.png
Very nice, I like it !
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Greg wrote:Jack, the code on your Nockert Type 1 page was a little funky (the code has to have TWO brackets on each end), so I fixed it, but I think you may need to re-upload your images...there's a car, a wierd plant thing, and some other stuff that showed up. Not sure what happened there.

Yeah, I'm editing these in 5 minute spurts... I figure if I keep it going I'll get it right eventually. Thank you fo the edit. I just took the image names I had in the forum post but hadn't uploaded the images yet. As for the wierd images? I don't know, I have no evidence of hacking, I hope its a media wiki artifact for common image names?!?
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Just a little Nit-picky thing; it's "Araluen".
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Fox wrote:Just a little Nit-picky thing; it's "Araluen".

Good catch, Fox. ...but it's a wiki. Log in and change it. You have the power. :evil:
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Would it be possible to link to this site from our wiki, for any general Tolkien info we may need to add or define? It's pretty comprehensive, as wikis go.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

That's a great idea Manveruon.

Just a question that was on my mind was... how much of the wiki will be devoted to 'other rangers' (i.e. Araluen, Emberverse)?

How much is this forum (and consequentially the wiki), devoted to Middle-Earth rangers, like its title? Just wondering, no hard feelings fans of either ^.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Dirhael wrote:That's a great idea Manveruon.

Just a question that was on my mind was... how much of the wiki will be devoted to 'other rangers' (i.e. Araluen, Emberverse)?

How much is this forum (and consequentially the wiki), devoted to Middle-Earth rangers, like its title? Just wondering, no hard feelings fans of either ^.

This question is really up to the membership. I am just a guy who, when this site's predecessor discussion group went dark, took it on himself put up something for a nascent community.

My personal preference is 90% Tolkien with an emphasis on fidelity to actual historical models. But what I REALLY WANT is a self-sustaining community that helps get people into the woods in primitive gear.

mostly interested in Tolkien myself
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm with you on that - although since joining these forums I have read through all but two of the Ranger's Apprentice novels, and I must say I like them a lot. I am also very interested in the Robin Hood legends, and the High Middle Ages in general. That being said, most of my focus here lands with Tolkien.