Wiki How To's

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Wiki How To's

Post by caedmon »

Ok, figured out some wiki things...

New Pages and Uploading images
First to create something, just make a reference to it. That makes it a 'thing' in the system. After you save the page you can then click on that thing and manipulate it.

So to make a new page. Reference it.

For example if I wanted to make a page for tunic patterns I would go to the kit page and write:

Code: Select all

People get cold when they aren't wearing any clothes. To keep their upper body warm they will wear a [[tunic]]. 
The double brackets around tunic makes it into a link. Now click on the link and start filling it out. Save a the bottom and there you go.

To add an image use the following:

Tunics are cool they look like dresses. Except they are very manly. (Unless you are a woman, then they are kinda a short dress.)  [file:tunic.jpg]  
When you add this, the page will have a red link to an image upload area. Go there, upload and you're golden.

Organizing your page

To Organize your page you use single quotes and brackets.

Three single quotes creates a page Title that goes above the table of Contents.

''' Page Names are great! '''
Equals signs are for page sections:

=Item 1=

Blah Blah Blah

== Item 1.1 ==

==Item 1.2 ==

=Item 2=

Blah Blah Blah

=Item 3=

Blah Blah Blah

== Item 3.1 ==

==Item 3.2 ==

Displays as:

Item 1

Blah Blah Blah
Item 1.1

Item 1.2

Item 2

Blah Blah Blah

Item 3

Blah Blah Blah
Item 3.1

Item 3.2
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Who's up for a wiki?

Post by Greg »

I'm in the office for the day at work today, so between answering phones I'll be working on Tarp Shelters. Progress reports to follow.

Edit:
Starting out by cleaning up the front page a little bit, and adding in some base descriptions of the categories, etc. I'm taking a liberty of writing out a few of these, including Philosophy, etc. If anyone wants to request a change of wording or other alterations to what I write, feel free. Just trying to flesh some things out.

Edit:
"Setting Camp" page is completed, in its infant form. http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/in ... tting_camp

For those who want to include images from the forum on their pages, here's a quick rundown of how to do so.

For starters, you need to save the image to your computer. Right click, save as, blah blah blah. Then, go to the wiki's "Toolbox" list on the far left grey panel, and click on "Upload File". Only do this if you're going to be using the image in the wiki, please. In the source file box, hit the "Choose File" button, and find the image on your computer. Under file description, change the file name so that it represents what's in the picture. So if it says 9237374048.jpg as the source file name, change it to "SelfNockedArrows.jpg" in the destination file name box. Give it a quick description if you'd like, in the next box.

After this, scroll down to the bottom and hit "Upload File". When the page loads, copy the filename (Including the .jpg or whatever's on the end) from that page, and then go to your wiki page you're working on. Type what's in the following box in, replacing "example.jpg" with your filename.

[[File:Example.jpg|200px|thumb|left|alt text]]
Boom. Picture just happened. The code above will make the image into a 200 pixel thumbnail and put it to the side of the page. Readers can click on the image to see a larger one, but it helps to keep the pages from getting cluttered or distorted by massive images. You can replace the "alt text" in the code with a one-line caption for the picture as well. If you screw something up and it's not working, let me know and I'll go in and mess with your code, etc.

Have fun!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.