A bit of Shire goodness

Who are these strangers camped in the town square? Rohirrim, hobbits, Goblin-men? Ranger's aren't the only Middle Earth Re-enactors out there.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

A bit of Shire goodness

Postby Elleth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Last Christmas I received this fun little book, full off goodies perfect for a Baggins pantry:

The Shire Cookbook

I finally got the chance to try one of the recipes: a pasty made as a little snack for working in the fields - or to tuck into a pocket on a nice walk around the South Farthing. That little braid you see marks an internal division: the larger half contains a meat filling. The small holds your desert: in this case apples, raisins and honey. Hobbits do know how to travel - Mr. Tungo, you're a clever one!

:lol:

merf-shire-pasties.jpg
merf-shire-pasties.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: A bit of Shire goodness

Postby Iodo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Mmmmmm... Looks nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Postby Greg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 am

Sign me up!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Postby Straelbora » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:57 am

What a brilliant idea.

I was just working on my potential menu for the Dragons Wood Inn, using a couple of 'Viking" cookbooks and some Medieval cookbooks that I have.

The meat/fruit thing is a great idea. Is there a pastry 'wall' between the two?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Postby Elleth » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 pm

The meat/fruit thing is a great idea. Is there a pastry 'wall' between the two?

There is! The instructions were something like "cut a square, pinch together a 'wall' about two-thirds up, put 1/2 c. meat filling on the big side, 1/4 c. sweet filling on the small side, tuck up the ends, and fold the sides together."
It's rather tricky, but with a bit of practice starts to work. The wall tends to be not totally solid, but I didn't notice any leakage one way or the other eating them:

merf-shire-pasty-opened.jpg
merf-shire-pasty-opened.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

I found them tasty, but would have liked a wetter filling on the meat side. Perhaps leave a bit more gravy when cooking up the meat mix, or add some cheese to that side just before baking.
Still very good!

I was just working on my potential menu for the Dragons Wood Inn, using a couple of 'Viking" cookbooks and some Medieval cookbooks that I have.

For what it's worth, the author also did a cookbook for Game of Thrones - and to be quite honest, it's a much better cookbook - even if I would far rather live in the Shire than anywhere in Westeros. *eep*
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Postby Straelbora » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 am

I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have to work on my pie dough, though. When I make chicken pot pies, I usually cheat with store-bought dough.
Hávamál
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Wayfarer

Postby Ruinar Hrafnakveðja » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Straelbora wrote:I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have to work on my pie dough, though. When I make chicken pot pies, I usually cheat with store-bought dough.

I have that cookbook! I'll have to post some recipes and my results. The Honeyed Chicken recipe is great!
I am the sword in the darkness, the archer in the trees, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of Eldar and Atani...
Straelbora
Haeropada

Postby Straelbora » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote:
Straelbora wrote:I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have that cookbook! I'll have to post some recipes and my results. The Honeyed Chicken recipe is great!

Please do!
Hávamál

Return to “The Town Square”