Introducing Tungo Boffin!

Shire-Dwellers and other Middle-earth rarities.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Introducing Tungo Boffin!

Post by Udwin »

If we ever get an Other Free Peoples subforum, feel free to move this. Until then...

When approaching a new interpretation, I like to look for what I call ‘wildcards’, or what might more accurately be termed ‘blank spaces’ within an existing framework. As with my Woodman impression (a group which exists on the periphery but still within a fleshed-out context), I turned my attention to the Shire and thought about any gaps that I might be able to fit into.

I knew when starting this project that I was going to have to come up with a persona with some Stoorish blood (to allow for my beard, though it is not at all ‘downy’), and an Eastfarthing or Buckland upbringing (because I am really a river person!).
Luckily for me, Tolkien worked out family trees for several of the Shire’s most prominent families, and that of the Boffin and Brandybuck clans (with some extrapolation) seemed to fit the bill.

While they seem to be primarily of Harfoot stock*, the Boffins’ home base, The Yale, is located in the Eastfarthing, while their male names are nice and hobbit-nonsense-y (unlike the ridiculous ‘heroic’ Fallohide-y names of the Tooks and Bolgers!). And conveniently for me, the Boffin family tree includes a prominent ‘VARIOUS DESCENDANTS’! Hello, wildcard!
*The HoME Volume 12 section dealing with Appendix F (languages) contains an entry (which did not make it into the published appendix) which suggests that the original name Bophîn was “of Harfoot origin”; and the Prologue states this type of hobbit is said to be the most typical and numerous (ergo: common)!

So, I had my entry point—my hobbit persona would be one of Rollo Boffin’s ‘Various Descendants’. Now, what would this fellow be called? In that same section of Volume 12, I came across a reference to an authentic hobbitish word ‘tung’, ostensibly a word of Stoorish origin meaning ‘big’. Recognizing the penchant for Boffin males to be given short, nonsense names, and Tolkien’s Anglicization via the –o ending for male names, I decided on Tungo Boffin (authentic hobbit-Westron Tunga Bophîn/Bophan). The name is a bit of a pun, coming from a word that originally meant ‘big’, as I’m average size for a Man, but I’d still be pretty big for a hobbit! Ha-ha!

On the Nature side, Tungo comes from generally ‘common’ Harfoot stock on the paternal side (with a splash of Marish Stoor/Fallohide from grandma Puddifoot), and solid Stoor/Fallohide Brandybuck stock (accounting for my beard, complexion, and height) on the maternal side--Tungo's mother is descended from one of the unnamed daughters of Marmadoc Brandybuck and Adaldrida Bolger.
On the Nurture side, Tungo’s father (an Eastfarthing Boffin) died (I’m not sure how) when Tungo was young, so he and his mum and brother moved back to live with her kin in Buckland, ergo he was raised to be unafraid of boats, and can swim!
Attachments
Boffin family_MERF.png
Boffin family_MERF.png (79.08 KiB) Viewed 22527 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Introducing Tungo Boffin!

Post by Udwin »

This is primarily a three-season impression, as being barefoot in a deep snowy winter—though I do it often enough, for short periods—isn’t the best for the health of one’s feet. (But there’s always that double precedent for footwear: the Stoorish habit of wearing ‘dwarf-boots in muddy weather’, and Tolkien forgetting to give Bilbo boots at Rivendell.)
Given the ‘modern’ anachronistic nature of hobbits (compared to the mythic-ancient rest of Middle-Earth), I felt I had a bit of wiggle room in creating this kit.

Thankfully, Tolkien describes enough garments worn by hobbits that we get a consistent picture of Shire fashion at the end of the Third Age:
*In The Hobbit, Bilbo wears a “coat and waistcoat” (the latter with “nice brass buttons” (89), which he later upgrades to “real gold” after his adventure).
*Bilbo leaves to join Thorin & Company without a hat, walking stick, money, or a handkerchief, all of which “he usually took when he went out”.
*For his farewell birthday, Bilbo wears an “embroidered silk waistcoat”, again with gold buttons (33). (This does not necessarily mean that this garment was the shiny, smooth material we usually imagine when we think of silk; raw silk is appropriate for the 18th century and is very similar in appearance to heavy rustic linen.)
*Following Bilbo’s disappearance, the Gaffer is given, among other things, a “woolen waistcoat”.
*After the incident at the Barrow, Sam looks for his “cloak, jacket, and breeches, and other hobbit-garments” (163).
*While gearing up to leave Rivendell, Frodo wears his “old weather-stained breeches, tunic, and jacket”, causing Bilbo to declare that he looks like “Just a plain hobbit” (312).
*In addition to breeches, Bilbo and Frodo are several times said to be wearing “trousers” with pockets, sometimes with a belt.
*Finally, we are told that the only thing that served to differentiate the Bounders was a “feather in their caps”.
Attachments
tungo_merf.jpg
tungo_merf.jpg (248.38 KiB) Viewed 22525 times
Tungo2_merf.JPG
Tungo2_merf.JPG (233.98 KiB) Viewed 22525 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Looks good.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Most excellent of 'obbits an that's saying a bit! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Great look and us usual, well-researched for the character. Too bad I can't loan you my ample belly to round you out in a more Hobbit-like fashion.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

An excellent hobbit.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

bjaurelio wrote:An excellent hobbit.
A most excellent hobbit!

... although any proper hobbit mother would be trying to stuff bread and jam into him right quick!
He's clearly been walking far too much for a proper respectable hobbit.

I do hope he hasn't been.... adventuring.

;)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Excellent. Looking great. Wish I could pose you and Jake next to each other...what a pair of Shirriffs you'd make!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

very well done and thought out.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ready to join the Bounders are we? :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What a great interpretation and love the genealogy! At yours and your family's service!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Most excellent! Your impressions are so real and well thought out.
You can't take the sky from me.
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

this is superlovely! on of the best reconstructions i have seen! really good.
i wish we could cooperate, because patroling shire borders and breeland is our main task
http://gullinburstiblog.blogspot.cz/201 ... uests.html
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Thanks for the compliments, folks! For a more detailed look, I've finally gotten my breakdown for this impression uploaded onto the MERWiki so feel free to check it out. :D
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well done good Sir! I absolutely love it!
Do you think perhaps that the bounders may have settled for a nice sturdy club? (Somewhat like a Shelealegh (sp)? )
I remember a picture done by the Bros. Hildebrandt that showed a few hobbit bounders jumping "Sharkey" and his buddy.
A nice hardwood club or root burl is somewhat light, easy to procure and effective for a "peackeeping" force, just a thought! :mrgreen:

I just found this pic and that was the actual name on it! (it is from LOTRO)