...and I thought WE had some extensive Hobbit food research!

Shire-Dwellers and other Middle-earth rarities.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

...and I thought WE had some extensive Hobbit food research!

Post by Greg »

http://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Cookbo ... t+cookbook

How have I never seen this? Anyone familiar with it? Anyone own it?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: ...and I thought WE had some extensive Hobbit food resea

Post by Ringulf »

I have not seen this one before, though I know of a few Hobbit cookbooks. I think you have given me a wonderful suggestion for a Christmas gift for Brandwyn! (how selfish is that? Truly the gift that keeps on giving!) :mrgreen:

BTW along the same lines I did capture this a while back, I think it may have been posted before. I was looking forward to doing a little Hobbit feast. I should have remembered this for the Baggins's Birthday just recently passed!

You may need to capture and enlarge this to read it, for some reason I can't make anything as big as I used to on here.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Huh, I'm just realizing how many 'unofficial self-published geek cookbooks' there are. My only experience with a fiction-based cookbook is the Redwall Cookbook, which is 'canon' in that talking-rodentverse.
I'm pretty okay with her recipes, clearly she has had to make some departures from Tolkien's text - no references to beets and the like, but that's a simple extrapolation given the other simple Euro veggies that are known.

But...I'm not sure about her claim that "There are plenty of references to food made with the popular imported medieval staple spices of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves as well as expensive fruits such as lemons and oranges. But that is where [Tolkien] drew the line."
Only problem is, I don't see many (if any) references to spiced medieval-style foods. And there is definitely no citrus--or at least none encountered in the story. I can believe dry goods like spices eventually reaching Gondor via exchange networks from the further reaches of the South and East, but getting fresh citrus into the corner of Middle-earth we're familiar with? Any leads on how were fruits transported historically?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Was sent this review by a Tolkien Fan friend of mine in Texas. :mrgreen:

http://www.newsadvance.com/the_burg/fea ... f9170.html
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

This was one of the other ones I knew about and have actually sampled some recepies from. I am going to look around at some more, but truly as Udwin mentioned, many of these have the feel or flavor of Middle Earth recepies but I am not too sure how historicle they might be. I for one choose, as I do at our SCA feasts, to eat first and ask questions later, no sense throwing the baby out with the bathwater I always say! :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/The-H0BBIT-Cookbo ... 2Z1QH9B2TT

Oh and one more I found on Amazon when looking up the others, Both of these books had mixed reviews as I am sure they will also get here depending on the desired authenticity of the reader, This next one, written by Emerald Took, a "nom de plume" ( with a little ancestry background written by her) I though rather charming as well. It seems the Middle Earth Cookbook I was looking for doesn't come up in Amazon if anyone can find a link for that one it comes well recomended.

http://www.amazon.com/Regional-Cooking- ... h+cookbook