Spring 2017 Available now!

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Spring 2017 Available now!

Post by Udwin »

We are very pleased to announce the release of our latest issue of Edge of the Wild, available for your reading and downloading pleasure HERE!
Many thanks to the contributors for their hard work. We'll see you in a few months!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Spring 2017 Available now!

Post by Elleth »

AWESOME!

Looks great at first skim - can't wait for a quiet hour to read it proper!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Of particular interest to me is the Out of Edoras article. I hope this becomes a series of articles as there is much left to be written. Enjoyed it thus far.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The note at the bottom of the page is sincere (and serious!) Please don't hesitate to shoot us an email at middleearthreenactmentsociety@gmail.com to get put on our mailing list. This will cause a PDF of the newsletter to be sent directly to your inbox every season, and will help us gauge how our readership is growing, what is liked, what needs improvement, etc. It will remain posted and available here on the forums, too, but getting in on the mailing list would be a great help to us.

Thanks!

Great work, Udwin and all who contributed.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that was a delight - I'm going to have to try that tart when our blackberries come in this year! I wonder if there are any native European plants that might work similarly? I recently saw on the Jas Townsend youtube channel a discussion of substitute coffee made from roasted grains: I've been meaning to try that out. ALSO I've been reading The Two Towers recently, and just came to the part in Ithilien: the Professor notes a fair amount of herbs and such growing in those southern climes that stood out to Sam, and I can easily imagine such things making there way up to the Shire at least on an intermittent basis.

Regarding the craftsmen of Bree - for those who have not yet seen it, may I recommend Forgotten Arts and Crafts by John Seymour? Mr. Seymour is a near-contemporary of Tolkien's, one generation older, and also a lover of the English countryside. This book is a wonderful look at all the ways the people both men knew and loved made their way in the world - with a great many photos and drawings of how things were once done. If you want a look at how the fields and farms of Breeland and the Shire might have looked - and perhaps some tips for a craftsman persona - I think it's a grand start.

Greg - looking forward to seeing your cloak an hood together in their natural environment! :)
I do like the discussion of ponies as well - how fun!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Peter Remling wrote:Of particular interest to me is the Out of Edoras article. I hope this becomes a series of articles as there is much left to be written. Enjoyed it thus far.
Glad you enjoyed it!
There is indeed much more to come, simply too much for one issue. :)