Summer 2018 now available

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Summer 2018 now available

Post by Udwin »

The members of the Middle-earth Reenactment Society are pleased to announce that after slight delay, the Summer 2018 issue of Edge of the Wild is available for download HERE. This one was a lot of fun to put together, as it was themed around a culture for which we have very few details. We even debut our first 'philosophical' (not reenacting-specific) and collaborative essay.
As always, please feel free to share this issue widely among your circles, join the subscriber's list to have issues emailed to you direct, and to Like the Society on the book of faces.
Happy reading!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Summer 2018 now available

Post by Peter Remling »

Gotten through the first two articles and I have a question regarding the charred birch bark. Have you used this charred material for a subsequent fire and how well does it work ? I guess that's two questions . :P

So far an excellent read, I'm learning new things which is always good.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Peter Remling wrote:Have you used this charred material for a subsequent fire and how well does it work ? I guess that's two questions . :P
I've never tried to use it as spark-catching material, but when I've put it pieces in flame, it doesn't even really burn...unlike normal charring of cloth or wood, there's so little left after the distillation process that it's extremely crispy and crumbles easily...more like solidified ashes.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Udwin wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:Have you used this charred material for a subsequent fire and how well does it work ? I guess that's two questions . :P
I've never tried to use it as spark-catching material, but when I've put it pieces in flame, it doesn't even really burn...unlike normal charring of cloth or wood, there's so little left after the distillation process that it's extremely crispy and crumbles easily...more like solidified ashes.

Thank you
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Brilliant read, as always :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well done, all. It was fun to be a part of, as always!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that one was so well done - thank you gentlemen!
(I'd have never though of the bird's nest trick: how clever!)

Interesting content aside, I'm really liking the general form it's settled into: the second page photo/quote convention particularly. Can I ask where that photo is from?

Well done all!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

You really want to know, eh? :mrgreen:

Not MY backyard, but it’s on my commute. I’m trying to find the owner of the unoccupied house so I can figure out what the deal is myself.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... well that is a story.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin wrote:As always, please feel free to share this issue widely among your circles, join the subscriber's list to have issues emailed to you direct, and to Like the Society on the book of faces.
Happy reading!
Every time I skim this the first post on this thread, I read, "As always, blah, blah blah... your pentagram, join the blah blah blah you direct, and read about us in the Necronomicon."
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017