Summer 2018: Birch Oil

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Summer 2018: Birch Oil

Post by caedmon »

So how Smokey is it’s smell? If I were to use it on leather, would I be able to keep the leather in my closet or would my shoes and bags be relegated to the garage?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Summer 2018: Birch Oil

Post by Udwin »

STRONG....so depends how much your cohabitants object to it.
It's not exactly the smell of smoke (so it doesn't get that eventual stale like around-the-campfire clothes will), but most folks find it very smoke-like. You can get a hint of it by burning a piece of birch bark, blowing it out, smelling the smoke, and then multiply 1000x.
I've never used it large-scale, and it does eventually tone down, but a little goes a long way.
My leather master has a piece of russian leather (curried with birch oil and rolled with a crosshatch pattern) that was pulled out of a old shipwreck that still smelled faintly of birch.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ever walked up to a person who just came back from a camping trip, and you knew they’d been near a fire? If Udwin freshly oiled his various wooden accouterments, I bet I could track him blindfolded.

...barring the occasional tree to the face. It’s THAT strong. Using it on your spoon and a few key bits, no big deal, and the smell slowly fades...but it’s a rich smoky aroma. I LOVE it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I turned and oiled an entrenching tool handle I think six weeks ago. It still smells strongly of birch oil, but instead of being detectable from two rooms away, it's down to one-foot-or-closer now.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Six weeks isn’t bad. How’s the actual treatment value holding up as the smell fades?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.