Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Post by Iodo »

I just learnt from youtube, and you don't need a fid, it just makes things easier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uivsF61ytLQ
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks !
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

NP :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Neat! I’m going to have to give that a go as well! As for the fid, perhaps heating it to discolor it some? You could also slide a steel rod inside it, then tap the outside with the ball of a ball peen hammer to give it a more worked appearance. I’m guessing roughing up the surface too much would render it less useful though...anywho, just thoughts! Great work as always!

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

BrianGrubbs wrote:Neat!
BrianGrubbs wrote:As for the fid, perhaps heating it to discolor it some? You could also slide a steel rod inside it, then tap the outside with the ball of a ball peen hammer to give it a more worked appearance. I’m guessing roughing up the surface too much would render it less useful though...anywho, just thoughts!
Good ideas, but I think I'll leave it as it is and when I can get my hands on other materials I might remake it from normal steel tube
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Net Needle:

YouTube recommended me net-making when I was watching video's about rope splicing, my first thought was that's something Iodo would come across in Lake-town, usually these are made from wood but I'm better at metal work and brass seemed more dwarven, it's made from the off-cuts from my belt buckle

my original plan was just to use it as something a bit better than a piece of wood to wind twine onto in my tool kit, then I decided I wanted it to work and that I'd better make a net card as well, so I could use it

In my OP I listed:
Iodo wrote:Rule/square or straight edge (I have no idea what measuring units would be used?)
and after seeing someone using a 6" rule as a net-card on you-tube I had this idea:

my multi-purpose measuring device, the divisions are in inches and not that precise because of bad engraving but the outside dimensions are hand-fitted to +/- 0.005", it has both inside and outside 90 degree angles, a 45 degree angle and is a net-card for a 1" and 2" net:

I know that this would look better polished (and double as a signal mirror) but all my polishing compound and buffing wheel is at work so that will have to wait
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Harper wrote: It looks like the kit is going to be heavy, what are you going to carry it in? A tool roll, dedicated leather pack, etc.?
Reading The Hobbit today I noticed that both Fili and Kili upon arriving at Bilbos house are described thus - 'each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade'

Thinking ahead I think only the spades get used but it certainly sounds like you're on the right track Iodo.
Maybe you'll end up with enough tools to need a bag?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

These look great Iodo...
Getting lots of ideas for my Dwarven kit from yours!
Keep up the good work.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote:
Harper wrote: It looks like the kit is going to be heavy, what are you going to carry it in? A tool roll, dedicated leather pack, etc.?
Reading The Hobbit today I noticed that both Fili and Kili upon arriving at Bilbos house are described thus - 'each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade'

Thinking ahead I think only the spades get used but it certainly sounds like you're on the right track Iodo.
Maybe you'll end up with enough tools to need a bag?
Yep, it will probably be heavy, my plan is to make a leather tool roll (like the one pictured on the first page of the thread) but I can't make it until I know what's going inside
Meganbeyer wrote:These look great Iodo...
Getting lots of ideas for my Dwarven kit from yours!
Keep up the good work.
Thanks so much :P
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

That net needle and measurer are pretty brilliant! (What do the runes say?) I've always meant to try my hand at proper netmaking with one of those, so I'm a little jealous. And making it in brass (from scrap, to boot) makes it even cooler...definitely dwarven. I don't know if a dwarf would ever fish for themselves, but I can definitely imagine 'net mending' as an itinerant trade.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Udwin wrote:That net needle and measurer are pretty brilliant! (What do the runes say?) I've always meant to try my hand at proper netmaking with one of those, so I'm a little jealous. And making it in brass (from scrap, to boot) makes it even cooler...definitely dwarven. I don't know if a dwarf would ever fish for themselves, but I can definitely imagine 'net mending' as an itinerant trade.
The runes just say Iodo on both items

when I started making this I didn't intend to go as far as actually making net (original idea: Iodo came across the net needle and used it to keep string on - so boring LOL) but it did look like a good thing to have a go at, and what I have found is that net is an incredibly light and useful thing, that doesn't take up much space, to carry a piece of. it can be used for collecting fire wood, as a bag to carry equipment/goods and to attach things to the outside of a pack/bag to make them more accessible while on the move

and yep, brass seems to be a good choice, even if I did only choose it because I had some, at the moment materials are quite hard to get
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

for anyone who's interested in having a go at net-making (and because at the moment it's a bit tricky to get materials/delivery's etc...) here's a video on making a net needle from wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4qiqbiWxas

I used 2mm stainless welding rod because it's what I had, any reasonably stiff wire will do

this was a first attempt and I'm sure it would be possible to make this more neatly than I did, also if the twisted part was longer it would be able to carry more string
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Peter Remling wrote:Now I have to learn to splice rope, you guys are killing me ! :P
It's ok my friend it is not something difficult to learn at all though there are as many ways to spice as there are to tie knots and as with knots, each is designed for a different purpose. Get thee to a West Marine (You can get fids, Sail Palms and all manner of marlinespike paraphernalia) or better yet, you are close enough to go visit my old stomping grounds, Mystic Seaport, Conn. or South Street Seaport in Manhattan. Sitting in an authentic rope walk has the same effect on me as being in an old Smithy. the smell of the tarred marline and canvas is as powerful to me as the smell of the charcoal fire and wrought iron. It stirs some deep ancestral cords with me!

Iodo I don't know if you have seen it (them) but DC Beards: The Book of Camp-Lore and Wood Craft and The American Boys Handy Book (I would recommend the former to a Ranger as much more is directly applicable) has some great stuff about saddle packs. Rudimentary perhaps, but it was designed to teach the basics to early Boy Scouts both British and American. (Beard co-authored several of the early works for the Boy Scouts with Baden Powell)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:Now I have to learn to splice rope, you guys are killing me ! :P
It's ok my friend it is not something difficult to learn at all though there are as many ways to spice as there are to tie knots and as with knots, each is designed for a different purpose. Get thee to a West Marine (You can get fids, Sail Palms and all manner of marlinespike paraphernalia) or better yet, you are close enough to go visit my old stomping grounds, Mystic Seaport, Conn. or South Street Seaport in Manhattan. Sitting in an authentic rope walk has the same effect on me as being in an old Smithy. the smell of the tarred marline and canvas is as powerful to me as the smell of the charcoal fire and wrought iron. It stirs some deep ancestral cords with me!
I'll have to touch base with my youngest brother. He used to be Director of Exhibits for the South St Seaport and took several courses at Mystic.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Iodo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:07 pm One of the files now has a handle:

I turned it from sapele then shaved it to an octagonal profile (using the little spokeshave in the first pic on the thread) and wax polished it
That is REALLY cool, I especially like the forged ferrule! And the brass net needle is very nice as well. 10/10
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!