Dwarven short sleeved wool coat - kit update

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Dwarven short sleeved wool coat - kit update

Post by Iodo »

I haven't been able to get this idea out of my head since Elleth mentioned it in this thread: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... f=3&t=4246 last year:
Elleth wrote:Offhand, I think an open-front, short sleeve tunic / long vest such as Ringulf has here might work:
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... 447#p42447
Perhaps with tablet-woven trim rather than fur?
I didn't have any tablet-woven trim, and my usual method for edging seems to work so I used that, also the houndstooth wool ran out, so I used the same fabric as the surcoat I made for my dad:

I actually made this quite a while ago, but it's only just got cold enough to test it out, one day I'll probably add embroidery to the edges

I did wonder if this would prove to be one of those less functional/looks cool in movies items of kit, although so far I've been surprised by how useful it is. It's not as weatherproof as a cloak but it has advantages:
- it doesn't restrict movement as much as as a cloak, or as much as a long sleeved coat would when worn over a thick wool tunic
- the sleeves almost meet my vambraces so most of my arm is protected from rain
- it offers the "breaking up the silhouette effect" for camouflage
and it has pockets, I don't know if it should have pockets? but they're useful
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Dwarven short sleeved wool coat - kit update

Post by Elleth »

That looks lovely! Awesome! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That’s a fantastic look! The whole kit is really coming together beautifully!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you both :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks great !
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Nicely done!
Frodo lives!
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I like it. And pockets definitely seem like something a dwarf would find useful.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Looks great to me Iodo, I like how the contrasting shoulder gores break the colour up.
And if pockets were good enough for Bilbo then they're good enough for you!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
The Riff Wizard
Wayfarer

Post by The Riff Wizard »

I really like the simple pattern on the main material, and the contrasting grey parts. Very reminiscent of Thorin’s coat in the films.
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Iodo wrote: I did wonder if this would prove to be one of those less functional/looks cool in movies items of kit, although so far I've been surprised by how useful it is. It's not as weatherproof as a cloak but it has advantages:
[...]
I'm surprised you weren't sure if it'd be functional; it seems like a great design!
And pocketses are entirely canon.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Also, just wanted to pop back in and mention that the short sleeves are great! To me the overall shape is slightly reminiscent of a short-sleeved gambeson or a Viking jacket/super-tunic with short sleeves. It therefore feels vaguely “medieval-ish” without being directly tied down to any real-world culture (the toggle closures help with this as well). And since the whole thing is cut with extremely straight lines and square corners, it gives a really great boxy, dwarvish silhouette when worn without feeling too over-the-top “fantasy dwarf.”

10/10, very impressive! :)
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you everyone :P and you've all reinforced my choice of having pockets, I wasn't sure because there isn't much reference to pockets in clothing historically, but this is middle earth after all :lol:
Eofor wrote:Looks great to me Iodo, I like how the contrasting shoulder gores break the colour up.
I guess they do have that effect, the only reason I include that on the design is because by making my shoulders look wider it makes me look shorter, a cosplay trick :mrgreen:
The Riff Wizard wrote:Very reminiscent of Thorin’s coat in the films.
actually, apart from it being a little shorter, it's almost exactly patterned from Kili's coat in The Hobbit, with splits front and back but not at the sides, I just didn't do the extra piece of fabric over the shoulders, if I had it would probably be more waterproof but it looks a bit to modern to my eye so instead I settled for wearing a hood over it

SierraStrider wrote:
Iodo wrote: I did wonder if this would prove to be one of those less functional/looks cool in movies items of kit, although so far I've been surprised by how useful it is. It's not as weatherproof as a cloak but it has advantages:
[...]
I'm surprised you weren't sure if it'd be functional; it seems like a great design!
And pocketses are entirely canon.
The main thing I wasn't sure about until I tried it was short sleeves on a coat, now I've tried it I think it's a great idea, and I'm interested to find out how much better it is for archery
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

thats a quality coat buddy
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

RangerofAngmar wrote:thats a quality coat buddy
Thank you :P
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Turned out great, Iodo! Seems every time I turn around you've cranked out another major garment...makes me feel like I have some work to do!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.