Beorning’s backpack (now with frame!)

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Beorning’s backpack (now with frame!)

Post by Udwin »

As my personas and kits have evolved the last almost-five(!) years, I have ever so slowly removed and replaced items that I feel are no longer appropriate. The one item that I have probably kept the longest is my backpack, which is a brown copy of a soviet-era ‘meshok’ bag. The first iteration I constructed in Feb 2014 from cotton canvas, which worked fine but was fairly stiff. This I replaced in Oct 2015 with one made from proper linen canvas, adding needle-felted shoulder padding in Feb of 2016.
This setup was plenty serviceable, but even with the wooly shoulder pads, as simple as the pattern is, it still had too much soviet DNA. How could I keep the basic functional utility of a top-loading drawstring bag with two shoulder straps, yet keep it from ‘reading’ as WWII Russian? And could I make it slightly more ergonomic at the same time?

I looked back through my files, and remembered that our old friend Ötzi has often been interpreted as carrying a bent wood frame ‘backpack’! I combed some resources, and found a few options that I could base mine around; Since I still carry more than I should, I wanted to keep the weight as light as possible, so it would definitely not be over-engineered as I have seen some ‘primitive’ pack frames.
Instead of an inverted ‘U’ as Ötzi reconstructions often use, I opted for a rounded ‘A’, not only due to material limitations, but also to perhaps recall the frame of my ‘30s-pattern Bergan (subconsciously connecting the Norwegian pack with the proto-Scandinavian heritage of the Beornings). This design rides comfortably right between my shoulder blades.

I first selected a piece of hazel with a nice curve for the horizontal bar at the small of my back, and then found a straight 6’ piece for the main frame. I scraped off the bark, whittled some half-lapped joints, and lashed it together with deer rawhide once the wood had shrunk and dried overnight. The shoulder strap was taken off the pack’s body, and permanently restitched onto the lower frame, with the lark’s head knot (normally used to close the mouth of the pack) moved to the frame’s upper bar. The pack was then lashed to the frame at top and bottom corners with heavy braintan, and a braintan braid permanently attached below the mouth to tie it shut. (This is the same method I use to close my sewing bag, which gives a degree of ‘kit cohesion’.) This also makes it ten times easier to get something out of the pack if I have to stop on the trail, since I don’t have to go through the hassle of dealing with the knotted shoulder strap! Plus, having a rigid, loadbearing frame means I now have a variety of ‘attachment points’ for how I carry external gear like my kettle, sleeping mat, and blanket.
Overall, I am very pleased with the end-result, and feel it gives a much more Old European/Middle-earth traveler vibe than the previous configuration.
Attachments
framepackMERF.jpg
framepackMERF.jpg (254.35 KiB) Viewed 18474 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Beorning’s backpack (now with frame!)

Post by Iodo »

Very good work, and well resurched as always :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If you were here in person when I read this, the response you would've heard here was "Well that is pretty stinkin' sweet."

I'll try to be more formal here. *ahem*

That is pretty stinkin' sweet.

That bit on kit cohesion jells with me...I waffle back and forth between tried-and-trues and "I need to shake things up", particularly with pouch closures, & etc.

I particularly enjoy that the pack design really hasn't changed after being suspended. That lark's head I'm used to seeing is still there. The whole things looks VERY comfortable, and ready for a trip.

Speaking of which...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Nicely done! Not only does it instantly pop out as painfully accurate but you can also tell at first glance that it is extremely comfortable to wear.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That looks fantastic! Otzi's frame pack is one of those "if it didn't exist, it's so cool if should have" things - it seems perfect for Aistan!

I'm mostly jealous over the "comfortable to wear" part though. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Nice work!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Very nice! The top of the triangle looks like it would make an excellent handle to grab the pack by around camp. I still think the felted strap pads are amazing.

Did you reinforce the parts of the bag you lashed to the frame, or is the canvas stout enough by itself?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Taurinor wrote:Very nice! The top of the triangle looks like it would make an excellent handle to grab the pack by around camp.
It is EXACTLY that!
Taurinor wrote:Did you reinforce the parts of the bag you lashed to the frame, or is the canvas stout enough by itself?
It's really heavy stuff, so I didn't bother with any reinforcements; I spaced the braintan lashings out over an area instead of all through the same hole, so it should be alright. If it starts stretching, the thongs would be easy to remove and stitch in a little goat leather to spread the stress.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA