What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:The biggest problem I've had with the two blades I love so much is that I find myself using my secondary hand to assist the larger blade's movement, basically using my short sword like a hand-and-a-half. I've always been most proficient when both my hands are on the hilt, but I don't care to carry something big/long enough to exploit that technique to its greatest advantage. On the flipside, using a shorter sword like a hand-and-a-half or two hander is severely hindering the possibilities that weilding my sword with a single hand might offer, as well as eliminating the possibilities my second blade or a buckler might provide.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
I don't know how I missed this before. Guess I should work on my observational skills. Bad Ranger!!!

Anyway...... first off have you been studying any WMA? and if so by whom? You'll find there's many a technique that involves taking your left hand from the hilt and redirecting the attack or to bind/disarm.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:I think the best answer for creeping age and a heavier pack is simple:

get an apprentice :D
You call them apprentice, I call them pack mule. Oh well "a rose by any other'......".
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Mirimaran wrote:I think the best answer for creeping age and a heavier pack is simple:

get an apprentice :D
Great advice, I am now accepting applications.......Any takers?

Rethinking the Long knife/ ax defense, I would imagine that the axe would quickly be out of commission. It has a wooden handle. That will not hold up to a single sword strike. The axe is an offensive weapon only.

Another point about using edged weapons for distance attacks. Anytime you throw your knife or axe, you loose it. Even if you are Rambo and are able to throw a knife 20 metres and take down a sentry. You are now knifeless.

What good is an axe outside of campcraft duties?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

KerryTracker wrote:Rethinking the Long knife/ ax defense, I would imagine that the axe would quickly be out of commission. It has a wooden handle. That will not hold up to a single sword strike. The axe is an offensive weapon only.

What good is an axe outside of campcraft duties?
While a handaxe/tomahawk does have a wood haft, they are not that simple to cut. The haft of a spear is generally a little thinner than the haft of an axe yet try to cut the head off a spear in combat. As far as an axe being only an offensive weapon, they are actually quite good at binding your opponents weapon.

Fighting. regardless of the weapon, is more about range (striking distance), and balance then it is about a perticular weapon.
Harnas Andrij

Post by Harnas Andrij »

Coming in a bit late....
You most certainly cannot chop axe handles into bits with a sword. Possibly if you secured both ends in concrete but definitely not while being held in the hands...did it ever happen, likely but I would bet all that i am worth that it was not very often. Worry more about the axe breaking your sword.

The axe is a fear inspiring weapon. Hopefully none of us ever have to face one in earnest...but we can at least mentally convince ourselves that our opponent has a real axe when training. Once you do this you understand just how impressive a weapon an axe can be and why it was used for so long and with so much success.

Though I am happy with a nice hatchet or even a pole axe, my personal choice is the Carpathian walking/mountain axe. Makes for a useful tool and a deadly weapon, I never go out to the woods without mine.
Lift me on your axes of glory, carry me to Czonrohora!
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Got any pics of that.

I am still unsure of when and what order I can buy some weapons but I think that once I get my small knife and hatchet finished and my staff finished I will carry those and my bow until I can buy a sword.
Harnas Andrij

Post by Harnas Andrij »

You can find pics of the mountain axe here: http://oprishki.wordpress.com/
This style of axe is very easy to make...take a small hatchet head and put on a three foot handle. it's authentic and very useful and best of all cheap!

It is/was the walking stick of choice in theh Carpathian mountains for centuries.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Harnas: I generally read everyone's bio, so I saw the above referenced site when you first came on, very informative and I reccommend everyone take the time to read it.

By the way, Welcome!
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Harnas' Carpathian walking/mountain axe is very similar to Andy's spiked axe section.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Anyone else looked at this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Knife-Fi ... 1581605668

The author also wrote a book on fighting with the Highland Broadsword, the style seems to be similar to the I.33 manual. He lives about 3 hrs. drive from me in Portland, ME
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Harnas Andrij

Post by Harnas Andrij »

I know Chris really well and have had him as a house guest a few times. He definitely is for real and knows his material which is purely Scottish. His targe work may be closer to I.33 than the rest which is based on a variety of later period sources.

He will be coming out my way in mid July to do a workshop.

Definitely get in contact with him is Scottish swordplay is something you are interested in.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

I've played a bit with his broadsword system. Got one local guy (Washington, PA) who does it. From the bit I saw, it's fairly simplified, and based on Angelo's Hungarian Sabre work. Simple, and pretty effective.

Also, from what I understand, Chris does like to "take it to the market" to find out what works. Very effective way to test your material.

But I've got to admit, I'm not familiar with the knife fighting book.

Yet.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Harnas Andrij

Post by Harnas Andrij »

A few years ago Chris did a class for us on the dirk system, pretty interesting. Best part was at the end of the class we got to act out a famous wedding scene where one angry Highlander pulled a dirk and stabbed several guests before jumping out a window. We had random people pull hidden knives and see how many they could get before getting taken down or escaping....training kives of course!

Pwyll, you live close enough that you should try and come out to our camp in mid July...I'll post details when i have em.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Sounds fantastic. I'm intrigued!
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Harnas Andrij

Re: What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Post by Harnas Andrij »

Hi Pwyll,

I have started putting some of the info up at the offcial site for the weekend:
http://rvweekend.wordpress.com/

I should be posting some updates soon as well. Definitely a fun time for the last 4 years, this should be no different.