What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Post by Ringulf »

Wow! I so enjoy the discussions on this site, there is a great cross section of views and experience!

I know this thread has been raging for a bit but to add my own veiws, I would say that primarily the archery skill is one that should be foremost in a rangers combat skillset.

It takes a lifetime to master but can with practice be formidble (as exibited by history) and completely self sustained by a compitent woodsman.

Primary perhaps, but certainly not exclusive.
I feel that the nature of a ranger is to approach weaponry just as he would approach tools. Just like Grandpa taught me, "The right tool for the right job." In the case of combat several variables do need to be taken into consideration.

-Size and stregnth of the ranger and his/her combatant

-martial background

-nature of the current mission

-Terain and climate, as well as weather conditions

I feel that once the option of ranged weapons have been exhausted, you need to fall back on the weapon or set of weapons you know best and are suited to your individual attributes and training.

I had studied Jui jutsu along with Kenjutsu at the Riverside Buddist Temple in NY many years ago. We also studied the Yumi bow used by the samuria as my senseis' wife was quite proficient in it.

So I started with what my sensei called "Bear Style" Jui jutsu, (if you were to look at me you would know why) His nickname for me became "Higuma" japanese for bear.

After learning what was to become my "bear" handed fighting skill,Sword and bow became my focus because of my training.
Later on as I got into my fascination with Norse culture and fighting style I became proficient with sword and shield.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

part 2 sorry to be so verbose...

My skillset was not nearly as complete or as interesting until I discovered the axe in its many forms.

Two handed axes can be devestating offensively as most already know but if used properly (and historically) they allow for a good defense and can be augmented with metal plate or spirale wrapping as the bent Sweedish two handers to help protect against edged weapons if need be. Though as it was mentioned before, it takes a heck of alot to chop through even a small axe handle and most likely the weilder would loose the axe from his grasp before it was severed.

Two handers were also larger head wise but not by that mutch proportionately and the big ones were quite a bit thinner, so the weight ratio to the additional stregnth of the double handed weild is better then most would suspect.

If held more like a halberd with a wide grip one can make several devestating cuts and thrusts without over committing and not being able to recover. (look into the Scandinavian martial art called "STAV" I have been studying it for about a year now and absolutly love it, especially the two handed axe training!)

Throwing axes or hand axes if you prefer, can be weilded simultainiously (flourentine style) or with a seax or better a scramiseax or leangseax and gives you the ability to hook and direct larger weapons, even trap them if you care to. And they have a multitude of applications making them alone or in conjunction with one another very useful.

You do loose an axe if you throw it but you would not throw it unless you really had to, as your ranged weapon should be your bow. Let's face it, that is the tool for the job, even though I love axe throwing and can be pretty deadly fro the 12' 18' and around 24' marks.

I have taken a liking and shown some skill throwing my two bearded ship axes in tandem during events, more as a curiosity than a combat choice, and because I came across the fact that when the Norse did things in a ampidexterous fashion, like throwing two axes or two spears etc, they tended to get a byname from it (thus Ringulf "Tvier Ox", or two axe, Haakonson) aside from some pretty devestating knockdown power, due to the weight of the axes, I would say it would still not compare to a well placed feathered shaft.

As a Ranger I carry my bow, my scramaseax across my back in a right handed draw and my two axes. As a heavy fighter I go sword and board with a Norman type kite shield or large round thin wooden bossed shield and a viking type sword. (about 36" overall tends to give me what I need for heft and reach but if I were to use it in the ranger roll I would shorten that considerably for efficiancy and versitility with my other weapon types)
I had been using the flourntine axes as a combat archer but have been encouraged to use my two handed great axe becase of the speed of switching to it vs the protection and offensive capability when the attackers get close and I have about 3 seconds to drop my bow and quiver safely and draw my secondary weapon(s).
(SCA is a little different from what you would expect in an historical scenario)

What it comes down to with me is to learn all you can about every weapon type you could expect to use or encounter so that when the situation presents itself you are prepared to overcome.

The earmark of a good ranger is that he is prepared to fulfill his/her mission however that is to be accomplished, utilizing knowlegde and skill and the wisdom to use them both effectively. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

My skill sets revolve around the Leictanauer tradition which includes the long sword, grappling and percussion, spear, messer and dagger as well as the pollaxe. Given my interest in and study of this tradition I would label myself not so much of a ranger as a heavy cavalryman, who can also fill a role as a heavy infantryman should terrain or advantageous opportunity, or the loss of my horse to the enemy oblige me to fight afoot.

My slowly growing fighting kit includes a hauberk, padded jack, helm and I still have splinted vambraces and greaves high on my to-do list. My arsenal includes my longsword, arming sword, belt axe, seax and spear and studies of the same to hone skills with each. I try to keep to the philosophy that the real weapon is the mind and body everything else is just an extension of the will and skill.

Tactically, the forte would be the obvious text book conventional battle, but long range raids, reconaisance, and aggressive fighting patrols IE Search and destroy, would not be out of the question. And of course the willingness to dismount only adds to that tactical flexibility.

Logistically, my kind is a nightmare (Although you know you love us!), the horse, armour and weapons have to be maintained and of course I got to eat too. the chink in our armour would be our dependence on agriculture as well as good grass and water either plundering provender from the foe or being dependent on resources provided by easily targeted supply trains or both. Heavies are the proverbial 800 pound gorilla.

Strategically, the goal is to destroy armies (DUH) but also fortifications, and less gloriously the enemy economy by destroying farms villages ports and other centers of trade as well as industrial centers. To not just attack the enemy forces but his very will and ability to fight.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I'm afraid I'm very much infantry oriented...heavy infantry at that. My fighting style is much closer to that of a Roman Legionary or Auxilia in that the shortsword and shield combination are a seriously close in combination. I like throwing the javelin or light spear too. I can fight as easily in a large formation as I can alone, it just requires a bit of adaptation in mindset for the most part.

As a Ranger, I have my bow (naturally), longknife, tomahawk/belt axe, and if I had to have a sword, it would be a shortsword like the gladius. No shield, as a Ranger, as they can be a real impediment in the woods...although they can do wonders through brambles...*thinks of Pennsic past...* I have armor..lorica hamata, lorica squamata, and though I have not yet built it, the patterns for some segmented armor too. Not very ranger like though. ;)

I belong to a Roman reenactment outfit that I founded; Legio Secundae Adiutrix Pia Fidelis, and I am also building an Auxiliary outfit alongside it.

Shortsword and shield. I am very aggressive, but not berserker like...very controlled and calm in fact. The more chaotic things are, the calmer I get. I can also keep track of my own unit, the units around us, enemy units and the flow of battle on the large scale...it comes easily to me. Battlefield awareness from the individual to the whole 'army'. So infantry tactics work well for me. Close in, that's where it is. You want to take and hold ground, this is what you do.

As I say though, not very Ranger like. :(

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I noticed, particularly in RD's post, that he mentioned, in a roundabout way, one of his main weaknesses in combative style, seeing as how he requires a lot of resources to maintain full fighting capabilities. I'd like to continue in that strain, and point out several of mine.

For starters, though I am not nearly as well-versed in the subject as RD and others here, my skillset also descends, partially, from the Leictenauer tradition, as well as an exclusive study of I.33. This is all built around individual combat. There is no discussion in any of the material I have studied on tactics within a large combative group, in reference to either troop movements or individual's roles within that group.

In short, though I have a grasp of tactics within small-scale skirmish/ambush situations, I have no real clue on full-scale engagements. I have a tendency to lead, as many of us do on this forum, but I lack the studies necessary to be of very much use without a bit of learning for a larger engagement.

My combat style, in my mind, is what actually pointed me to rangering. I found it long before I found Rangering, which I felt was tailored to what I did already, so in my opinion, it fits the concept very well. I use short blades, quick and effective methods, and it's all designed with small engagements over varied terrain in mind. The bow is my forte, and a short(er) sword and dagger follow it naturally as reasonable equipment to carry in the woods. But that setup does not belong in a line of Gondor's soldiers. If I were called to the aid of Gondor during the Last Alliance, my usefulness would have been very limited.

I like thinking through the things I'm not very good at. Putting this all out on the table helps me think though things that can be improved as well as remind me of my limits, preventing any feelings of invulnerability, etc.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Im gonna go with a bow then spear, then knive and axe combo.

Mainly cus I cant affordd a sword and cus (despite being better than any normal person) im not that good with it. Im a fair shot with my bow and spear is good for simple minded people like myself. Knife, you need it anyway and axe can serve as a tool also.

Against unarmored orcs, i would use my bow (im asuming 50lbs is enough to kill an orc isnt it?), armored orcs i would use my axe (though i would just run away), and if I faced a troll, I would use my... em... em... running skillz!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Dirhael wrote:and if I faced a troll, I would use my... em... em... running skillz!
I've always considered my prodigious skill at intelligently directed expeditious strategic retreat to be one of my greatest and most useful combat skills!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

And what's more seeing you are here to pass on that knowledge...it is battle tested and viable! Remember:

"He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day!"

That may not sound very heroic but I think it is better to be wise than to be strong, or brave, or even skilled, as all of those gifts can lead to an inflated and possibly unrealistic view of ones abilities and survivability.

Just read Ecclesiastes, the whole book is concerned with wisdom as is the majority of the Havamal! good stuff for warriors!
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

My preffered method is the sword,followed by the bow.and dagger. these support who i am. I am a scout, i move ahead to spy on the enemey,learning where their strengths are. i study their weaknesses, i use my bow to harras the enemy at a distance,attacking them when and where they least expect. relying on my sword and dagger for close in fighting. spending weeks and months in the feild, using the fieldcraft knowledge i posess. I am a scout,I am a ranger,i bring death to the enemy. :evil:
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ecclesiastes for the win.

On a branching topic, do any of you practice any sort of martial arts that you think might have fit with the Dunedain culture/fighting style?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

My martial background includes Tang Soo do (2 years), Aikido (4 years), juijutsu (4.5 years) and five animal Kung-fu (1 year) and a grand total of 10 years, still counting, informally studying in the German chivalric tradition/ Kunst De Fechten ie Leictanauer. The Study of Aikido and Juijutsu really did give me an edge in the study of the German Longsword as the movements within both arts are informed by swordmanship. Although I'm only just getting to harnisfechten/ fighting armoured, as this is bloody expensive, it has taken me a long time to obtain the equipment to train this level of the art.

At the moment I'm streamlining my armour in favour of a more convenient, modular, fighting harness of my own design, not as authentic but it looks cool and works well for me...Not historical but "historically informed".

I have devoted my life to martial studies being the son and grandson as well as nephew to decorated warriors. I considered killing myself after being turned down by Marine Corps in 2001, a horse related knee injury, the fact I have piss poor vision on top of color blindness kept me from joining my cousins in Iraq and afghanistan to my disgrace. My only fear is that my time will pass before I've earned my fathers name and won the goodwill of my ancestors and the einherjar.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ranger of Halt
Wanderer

Post by Ranger of Halt »

My preffered method would a bow as my primary, and then depending on what Im doing, (say Im acting as a scout and think there is a low chance of being found) I would carry two fighting knives as my close range weapons. and I would also like to have a mini crossbow with me. (I am confident with the knives because I have trained with bayonet, and several forms of knife combat and a sword for me is more of a hinderence for moving about in the woods. ) Though, is there is a good or even medium chance of being found, I would take soming like a light saber with me, the knives, maybe the crossbow.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ernildhir wrote:Ecclesiastes for the win.

On a branching topic, do any of you practice any sort of martial arts that you think might have fit with the Dunedain culture/fighting style?
I actually study the Scandinavian martial art called "Stav" I am a novice at best but I also studied quite a bit of Jui Jutsu and kenjutsu when I was younger. I was fortunate enough to have also studied a bit with my sensei's wife who was a very accomplished Japanese Archer. I truly enjoyed learning the basics of the yumi bow and I feel that it helped me understand archery as a whole.

Stav however is a recent study for me and it is centered around the study of the Younger Futhark or runic alphabet of the old norse.

It combines elements of meditative movement very much like Tia chi, but is patterned after the runic "stav's" or staves themselves.
It is also deliniated by the social classes of the old norse culture and the response that each would use for a particular engagement and with a particular weapon. (Very much like the Stephen Hayes teachings of Ninjutsu pertaining to the elements and the way you can approach a situation using the four "mindsets" of the elements, water, wind, earth and fire)

The trell (thrall) the Karl (churl), the Hersir (warrior) the Jarl (in this case more of a spiritual position than mearly an Earl)) and the kong (king).

The weapons studied are also those of the classes ie: cudgel for the Thrall, axe and staff for the Karl (there is a male and female component to this class as it represents a freeman or woman), the Seax (and Longseax) and sword (two handed sword is practiced for its form though it is not particularly "period" to the viking era), the bow is the weapon of the Jarl (who being more spiritual has more of a connection to things of wind and air) and the spear is the weapon of the Kong (who is actually freed by his position to assume the styles and weapons of all the classes).

It is a fascinating study and I like to think of it as the "Dwarven Martial Art" when thinking about my Middle Earth studies.

There are not alot of practitioners in the US but the form goes back through the Hafjold family to the late viking period and was taught as a family art until recently. The creator of the system studied in Japan and then used what he learned to organise his families system. It is now spearheaded by a gentleman in Great Britain named Graham Butcher that if you type in "Stav axe" on youtube you can see several videos. There is a Stav association of sorts here in the US in the mid Atlantic and in western NC.
With any real diligence one may form in Florida but that is a ways away I'm afraid.

Good luck in your search I hope you find the style that will help you most.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I practice German and Italian Longsword. Watching through LOTR I notice aragorn doing quite a bit of both of those styles.