Quarterstaff

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Quarterstaff

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks, Eledhwen. Makes sense.

I'm thinking I might just get one of those cold steel blackthorns and pretend the synthetic material is Lebethron, since I'm not going to be able to get real Lebethron anyway. Lebethron was a black wood, after all. At least I can know that the cold steel blackthorn is intended for and will serve me well in self-defense, whereas if I go for a true blackthorn it might have been fashioned more for ornamental or walking purposes.

But before I do, does anyone have any suggestions for where to purchase an efficient quarterstaff? I've not yet quite abandoned the idea of quarterstaff defense for stick defense, so I'll see what staves are out there before I take the blackthorn. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

If we go out to the countryside here (and basically any other place that isn't in the middle of a city), I just have a four foot staff that I take with me, not for self-defense against people, but against dogs :x . Dogs ruin my day too much (there are loads of evil dogs here). I have a shameful phobia of dogs, but having a good solid stick in my hand and some stones in the other makes me feel so much more confident. It is probably too light to dent 12 gauge metal, but if need be it could be used against people :evil:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Aye. My staff is mostly for defense against coy-dogs and dogs. There was a period where some cheeseweasles were running around attempting to kidnap women who were walking along the roads...it's a big walking area for folks.

An oak staff disuades a person as easily as a dog.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Erhilir »

Ringulf wrote:OH yeah hey it is! the first time I hit the link I got something else for some reason, Well it goes to show you that great minds think alike! That is actually a pretty cool promo I would not wanna get hit in the thigh the way that cow or pig femur did! jeez! :shock:
I absolutely agree with you :mrgreen:
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eledhwen wrote:Aye. My staff is mostly for defense against coy-dogs and dogs. There was a period where some cheeseweasles were running around attempting to kidnap women who were walking along the roads...it's a big walking area for folks.

An oak staff disuades a person as easily as a dog.

Eledhwen
It sounds to me as though any "cheeseweasel" foolish enough to toy with you My Lady, would find himself in a great deal of pain, quarterstaff or no! But it is always wise and often helpful to be prepared! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you once again for all of the input. After some consideration and reading through a good amount of the material that has been suggested, I am sold on the Irish Shillelagh aka Blackthorn. It is, I think, somewhat less conspicuous than a quarterstaff, as well as easier to carry around (looks like I should be able to suspend it from my waist like a sword if I need both my hands), and the combat style can still be elegant and not too much less enticing than quarterstaff. And I'm a fan of Ireland. Even so, when I'm in the mood for Fantasy, it can be a Lebethron Ranger's Staff rather than an Irish Shillelagh. So I believe I will order a Cold Steel Blackthorn and start seriously studying the combat style when I have a little more free time this winter.

I am thankful that I have such an unfailingly knowledgeable and helpful kindred community of Dunedain to turn to whenever I am in need. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Stick-Quar ... 463&sr=1-1

Can't speak for how good it is because I have not gotten through it yet, but hey...it's free.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
herbcraft
Wanderer

Post by herbcraft »

I've enjoyed the British Quarterstaff Association's page:
` http://www.quarterstaff.org/gallery/videos/index.html

Some nice info on making them, also some helpful videos. I'd still hoping to come across a hawthorne straight enough to craft a staff from, but so far, no luck.

I particularly like this section:
` http://www.quarterstaff.org/about/six.html
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

For a cheap shillelagh, find a decent size scrub tree or oak sapling. Dig up the root with a burl or knob. Cut to length and finish.
Homemade Shillelagh #1
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Ernildir wrote:It has recently been bothering me that I cannot carry around a knife or a sword every day for self defense without risking trouble with the law. I walk home from evening/night classes most days, and the world is not a safe place; particularly not after nightfall. So I've been thinking about what sort of a relatively inconspicuous weapon I might be able to carry around. The staff weapon that Shadowshutter recently posted about came to mind. Gandalf got through security with one in Meduseld, so they must work. I believe a decent number in our community already practices quarterstaff or some sort of a staff weapon. What would be the best way for me to begin learning this art? Where would be the best place for me to acquire an appropriate quarterstaff or similar "walking stick/weapon?"

Or do any of you have any other good self-defense advice?

Thanks.
Idk if your still in search of an answer, but http://www.budk.com/catalog/product.jsp ... tId=158923 wax wood is basically the ancient polypropylene!!! as for where to learn, spin! spin till you can't no more!!! This is how I began since there are no schools around here. once you feel comfortable with spins, have a friend say attack randomly while you spin infront of a pell of somesort. and attack at these moments. sounds easy, but try to do it when its behind your back!!! lol You'll get faster and more sure of your grip as well gain hand-eye coordination with something your not used to. not to mention, when in a self-defense sit. people think twice about coming at the guy whirling the 6 foot stick around his head! oh yeah, and it looks frickin' awesome!!! just practice!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

With some basic training in SCA style combat or WMA, just a regular old walking stick or can would be a pretty formidable weapon.
You can't take the sky from me.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I was a karate instuctor for 25 years. any Bo or Jo staff techniques will work with a cane. We also taught hooked cane techs as well.
Still for self protection a fire arm or stun gun works best...not very Rangery, but effective. I always told my students....Ancient weapons and unarmed combat, are for when you run out of bullets.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

I have this http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1397-mace-cane.aspx and can attest to it's effectiveness against a wide variety of wooden targets, haven't tried it out against steel targets or the like, nor on people either...however I know that it would definitely do some serious damage to anyone foolish enough to attack the wielder. The laws in your area may prevent you from carrying something like this though.