Quarterstaff

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Quarterstaff

Post by Ernildir »

It has recently been bothering me that I cannot carry around a knife or a sword every day for self defense without risking trouble with the law. I walk home from evening/night classes most days, and the world is not a safe place; particularly not after nightfall. So I've been thinking about what sort of a relatively inconspicuous weapon I might be able to carry around. The staff weapon that Shadowshutter recently posted about came to mind. Gandalf got through security with one in Meduseld, so they must work. I believe a decent number in our community already practices quarterstaff or some sort of a staff weapon. What would be the best way for me to begin learning this art? Where would be the best place for me to acquire an appropriate quarterstaff or similar "walking stick/weapon?"

Or do any of you have any other good self-defense advice?

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Quarterstaff

Post by Eledhwen »

I use quarterstaff, both Eastern and Western styles. There's a nice book on quarterstaff combat, instructional sort. Martial arts, like Shaolin Kung Fu teach staff..at least the school I went to did.

Since Massachusetts has the fiercest weapons laws in the country, I have a walking stick...of oak. They are useful and shaped right could accommodate a spearhead readily enough if one leans in that direction.

Find a WMA group nearby, or a martial arts studio...failing that for whatever reason, nab the book on quarterstaff fighting and start groping through it. Remember, someone always started things without a teacher....I would say though, that figuring it out for yourself, while doable, is also more dangerous as the opportunity to hurt yourself does exist, through simple error.

Siani
Nandalad!
Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Erhilir »

I am glad to see that you like my idea !
I think that you should just purchase a stick of some kind of hardwood or make your own.
Mine is made from a greek plant named Krania and it's very hard and cheap it has cost me 20 euros and I have used a lot on hiking
Now for the martial art thing am not the right person to inform you, but you can simply hit someone hard in the head and tadaaa you ve finished him. :P :P
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

:lol: :lol: shadowshutter, you can do it that way unless he blocks it then stabs you :/

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Mmm, that's kinda bad uh ?
Ok then you can hit him so hard in the head so he can't block or evade the attack :lol: :lol:
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

or you can get one of these : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJvLNkFzblQ
personally i don't like it but it will do your job
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Have you guys seen this one? I was playing with it at my favorite vendor at the Daytona Flee Market. It is very substantial and made by Cold Steel. Called the "Blackthorn"

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It is a replica of a true blackthorn walking stick/cudgel...the which are hideously expensive. This one by Cold Steel is quite durable and quite decently priced.

I like my quarterstaff...disguised as a walking stick it is made of seasoned white oak...originally it was a 2 x 2 plank...but the corners were mitered by a friend and he gave me the staff in that form more than 20 years ago now. Now, with rune and ogham carvings, feathers, bear's teeth, and leather decorations, it looks like a Druid's staff..which it is. It is also a quarterstaff...with which I am quite skilled.

No one ever sees it as a quarterstaff though; I can take it pretty much anywhere and no one blinks an eye. The carving and decoration is never done; save for the feathers given to me by my son from a school project and one wild turkey feather given to me by a friend, all the rest were gifts from the Great Ones...drifting in with the opening of a window, fluttering down before my feet, lying pristine in the grass just along the path I was walking. Each one a precious gift.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

In the practice of Stav, the Trel (or in Anglo Saxon-thrall) is the class of citizen who owns nothing and is responsible for nothing, Though not unskilled, he/she is dependent on others to be told what to do. As a result this individual class does not carry weapons.

The Trell Principle in Stav (one of the five principles or responses) is based on this class, and the primary weapon type used in this principle is the simple cudgel or walking stick, which can be cut from any limb or copse.
It is an interesting study and can be extremly useful as many household items can be put into service in a moments notice by using this strategy.

I thought that it was silly to go out and spend 40 bucks or so to get a cudgel that was supossed to have been used because it was free and could be abandoned to remake. However this one was so nice and so sturdy that it would not be a terrible thing to spend money on if one wanted a very good peice and did not want to make it oneself.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you for all of the suggestions and information. Now I have some more questions.

When I think quarterstaff, I think Donatello of TMNT.

Eledhwen, does your quarterstaff look like this, or more like a walking stick? Would the combat style be roughly the same for a walking stick and a quarterstaff? Are a quarterstaff and a walking stick basically the same thing, in effect? Do you wield your quarterstaff like a ninja turtle would, or like an Irish blackthorn cudgeler would?

Do you guys recommend I go for a "ninja turtle quarterstaff" or more of a walking stick? I'm open to both, and I might go for that blackthorn thing, but I don't really like the idea of a weapon of synthetic material. I would rather have something of real wood.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I am thinking I would really love one of those Lebethron walking sticks that Faramir gifted to Frodo and Sam. :)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mine is octagonal in cross-section, about six feet tall. It is a staff...but also a walking stick. It is not a cane. Walking sticks can be a variety of lengths from full staff to cane length. Mine is called a walking stick because I roam all over the place with it, leaning on it sometimes, using it to do things like push crosswalk buttons, and even for stretching.

Ninja Turtles use more of the Eastern styles. Cane fighting is stick fighting...it always reminds me of escrima....or for a Scadian combatant, single or flortentine stick swords.

I predominantly use the European style of quarterstaff fighting...I focused more on that ages ago because my ancestors are European. I have waxwood staves for Kung Fu styles..of which I only know the Southern Style currently. The two are not the same although of course there is some overlap.

Look into the book on Quarterstaff fighting...I do not recall the exact name...but it is generally easy enough to find.

I like my stick..it has two ends, both usable. It is long so can reach or fend off opponents at need. It is oak so is very strong and hard. It will crush a skull, dent a 12 gauge helm with ease, and end-on can put a two inch deep dent in a breastplate. I know because I have used it on armor.

Hope that helps.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Ringulf wrote:Have you guys seen this one? I was playing with it at my favorite vendor at the Daytona Flee Market. It is very substantial and made by Cold Steel. Called the "Blackthorn"

didn't you see my previous url ? Its the same thing :P :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OH yeah hey it is! the first time I hit the link I got something else for some reason, Well it goes to show you that great minds think alike! That is actually a pretty cool promo I would not wanna get hit in the thigh the way that cow or pig femur did! jeez! :shock: