State Knife Laws Across the Country

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

State Knife Laws Across the Country

Post by Greg »

I was doing a bit of casual research into the states east of where I am for places that could potentially be sword-carry friendly where someday in the future a Ranger Moot might be possible, when I stumbled upon this delightful *.pdf detailing knife laws in quite a number of states, including specifics from cities within each state. This could help the forum here quite a bit in terms of legality and helping plan events, etc. Unfortunately, all states are not listed, but nothing's perfect.

Dig on through, and I hope your state doesn't disappoint.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Please take the time to look through and find out what the deal is in your area. Many of us, myself included, have carried sizeable blades into places we shouldn't have...but we all have the responsibility of being informed to reflect positively on our hobby, so we should take the time to find out.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: State Knife Laws Across the Country

Post by Eledhwen »

Massachusetts is so vague and indistinct that even the state attorney who teaches fencing tells people it is best to simply not carry anything. Even for him.

This state is NOT friendly to blades as a rule. Enforcement varies by town and officer but the base laws are not friendly. BTW, having a Class A License to Carry firearms has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with blade weapons...it is a common misconception that it does, but it doesn't. It applies to firearms, and only firearms. I have one. And I know the Chief and asked about this in particular. Many times. They might be more lenient on a carrier, but the license has no bearing on the prohibitions.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Doesn't list SC at all.. oh well
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Gotta go to part II for SC. Not a lot there. Time to ask our friendly sheriff.

And a vast number of the laws are for concealed blades. Not much concealing a decent sized sword (unless you are the Highlander).
Last edited by E.MacKermak on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

oh I missed that hehe.. I did save the file though hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Seems Colorado is pretty chill about it all... sweet :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Part 2 can be found here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

The part for my state looks pretty accurate, but is greatly simplified. As usual, I'd recommend consulting an attorney who specializes in weapon laws.
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Yes, in Oergon we have still some good Freedom as to the edged weapons, generally speaking.
I have had the CCW CHL pistol permit (shall issue law) since 1990, no hassle there, but one has to be careful of each municipality and their peculiar codes in regards the edged weapons, the state law allows buying and selling of the automatic knives, but the concealed carry of such can be problematic in certain places, I just carry a Kershaw K.O. "Blur", spring assist (and a .45)
YAY! On my property secluded I carry my swords, I shoot my archery, I shoot my rifles, I till the soil, ... and stand the watch ... against the forces of mordor that would stifle and destroy the Freedoms precious

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I would think , as with any legal issue, you should consult local LEO or counsel.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Beornmann wrote:I would think , as with any legal issue, you should consult local LEO or counsel.
Consult a LEO only if you want the opinion of one, otherwise stick to counsel.
Most LEO can't learn EVERY line of the law (they're not lawyers), so little things like what sort of knife is cool and what isn't don't always sit in their log of immediate usable knowledge. They're more concerned with bigger issues such as drug dealers and nefarious ruffians. :)
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

In my province were still edged freedom too within limits.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Missing San Diego, CA. I was stopped by the police for having a double-edged boot knife ("dirk or dagger") as well as a machete.
The dagger was a felony, but I only got a misdemeanor bust. They gave me the machete back, almost apologetically.

I was at Burning Man, which is on BLM land in Nevada. I checked about swords. Nope, and nope. Axes were okay by them, in the books anyway; I guess they expect axes to be used in camping. :) :twisted:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.