A Gift from Elves

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

A Gift from Elves

Post by Peter Remling »

Thought I'd post this. It's a post on Sword Buyer's Guide. The smith is also a member here, and if you're unfamiliar with his work, this will give you a good idea of what he's capable of.

http://www.sword-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16693
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: A Gift from Elves

Post by Manveruon »

Good lord I love his work! I just discovered an old acquaintance of mine from high school owns one of his Long Claws. I'm indescribably jealous - but at least I got to hold it :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Yeah Brendan does great work. Funny thing is I was in contact with him about making one of these in december/january but I had some finacial issues come up. they turned out great.
Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Arbellason »

I've looked at some of the swords he makes all I can say is that I'd love to have him make a sword but.... I need to make a bigger piggy bank first :mrgreen:
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:Good lord I love his work! I just discovered an old acquaintance of mine from high school owns one of his Long Claws. I'm indescribably jealous - but at least I got to hold it :mrgreen:
So...why isn't this acquaintance a forum member yet?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Heh, trust me, he's not exactly the ranger type. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he even owns a sword, let alone one from Fable Blades.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Manveruon wrote:Good lord I love his work! I just discovered an old acquaintance of mine from high school owns one of his Long Claws. I'm indescribably jealous - but at least I got to hold it :mrgreen:
I'm jealous you got to hold it :D How did it handle and what other swords have you handled that you'd compare it to?
Winter is coming
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Unfortunately I am not very experienced in the handling of Middle Ages swords. If it was a rapier or a smallsword I could tell you, but not so much with one like this.

That being said, I did feel it had that oft-talked-about, ethereal, somewhat undefinable "alive" quality in the hand, but my point of reference for these things is tenuous at best. The custom sword I had commissioned for me, for instance, felt a bit heavy and dead in the hand when I first received it, but now that I've played with it a bit, I am coming to quite like the balance and overall feel. So I suppose it's all pretty subjective. But yeah, from the perspective of a complete neophyte... it felt GOOD :mrgreen: