long sword exercises

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

willmc349
Wayfarer

long sword exercises

Post by willmc349 »

I'm new here and I was wonder if anyone had any good sword exercises you can do alone?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: long sword exercises

Post by Straelbora »

willmc349 wrote:I'm new here and I was wonder if anyone had any good sword exercises you can do alone?
Not sure about exercises per se, but I built a pell. Basically, a "T" shaped dummy out of railroad ties. Mounted it to an "X" shaped base, then covered it with old carpet and mounted a helm made out of an old propane tank as a head. Use it to practice with SCA rattan swords.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Are you looking for exercises to build strength or instruction on how to use a sword ? What type of sword ie single hander, hand and half (currently called longsword). Do you plan on using a shield or buckler ?
willmc349
Wayfarer

Post by willmc349 »

I plan on using a hand and a half sword. I would like the exercises to help build strength.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

For sword technique, the pell is an excellent and historical method. There are many elaborate set-ups with cross-members, tires, and springs, but can be as simple as a pole in the ground. I discourage using a tree as the roots stick out and the bark chips off.

Nothing beats a good teacher(s) and/or training partners. If you are on your own, then seek out like minded individuals and form a study group. Research and read and share with each other. Even if you meet only so often, their feedback sets good habits.

For fitness, which is what I think you really mean for exercises, I liked the article at My Armoury: The role of fitness in swordsmanship.
Also within the article, is referenced another article from ARMA, Using the "F" Word – The Role of Fitness in Historical Fencing.

For the record and my 2¢, when you think strength for swordsmanship training, I image you are thinking Conan the Cimmerian-style work-outs. Arnold’s image of a good swordsman has tainted popular opinion and IMO, Howard’s presentation of the character. I have found fighting a balance amongst finesse, technique, and athleticism, not brute strength.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'd like to upload some photos of my pell, but don't seem to have the slightest idea how to do so.

I clicked the 'Img' link above, and tried to copy and paste inbetween the [img] boxes to no avail.

Can someone help?

Thanks.
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Regarding adding the pics:

Hit Post reply, write your text and go down to the white "browse" button, click and scroll through your libraries, select your pic and double click. The img info should now appear in the large File Comment box. Click the Add to File button to the right of the box and you should be fine.

If this doesn't work pm me and we'll try something else.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:Regarding adding the pics:

Hit Post reply, write your text and go down to the white "browse" button, click and scroll through your libraries, select your pic and double click. The img info should now appear in the large File Comment box. Click the Add to File button to the right of the box and you should be fine.

Now it turns out that the files are too big. I have no idea how to reduce a 1,700 down to 256 mb.
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Straelbora wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:Regarding adding the pics:

Now it turns out that the files are too big. I have no idea how to reduce a 1,700 down to 256 mb.
How about a hosting site with a link. Quick, you don't have to alter the size and it doesn't use extra bandwidth.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks for the tip.

Check out my pells on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96658469@N03/
Hávamál
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I'm also interested in this topic. In terms of actually swinging a sword and wielding a shield continuously, not the 'fitness' aspect, what muscle groups are mainly worked? I cannot claim to have much experience in this area.

Straelbora, what I do for pics is upload them to photobucket, and then copy the image code to a post :)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I do the same, Photo bucket makes it easy but it is another step in the process.
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i posted a printable sword basics guide. it has a lot of info. i will see if I can find the link again.

Edit: Found them

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/suppo ... rdsman.pdf

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/sword-fighting.html
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

This weekend I was able to attend some of 9th Annual Cumann Bhata Recreational Violence Weekend. I arrived late Sat and missed the Montante class, but was able to review one rule with the instructor after the lunch break when we had break in the action.

One item I picked up was to focus my pivot point from the forward hand grip to the center of of my hands' grip, generating much more power.

So, here is some info about Montante:
copied from a class description of VISS Class:
"The two-handed sword, which saw active use through the greater part of three centuries, was renowned for its effectiveness against multiple opponents and against single and double handed weapons of all types. This class will sample the works of several different Spanish and Portuguese masters from the late 15th through the late 17th centuries, but will focus on the Memorial of the Practice of the Montante by Gomes de Figueiredo. Class will include basic skill building plays to integrate the movements of sword and body, which is vital to the use of these large swords, and then proceed to context or tactical plays, designed to address situations of encounters on the street, in narrow passageways, defending a person or place, etc."

What is the Montante?

Memorial Of the Practice of the Montante, by Diogo Gomes de Figueyredo A transcription and translation by Eric Myers and a history by Steve Hick

videos (not of the instructor, but some I found on a quick search)
Portuguese Montante Rule 1 simple
Free bouting - montante versus longsword
Spanish Montante handling exercise
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
BlackIronEpee

Post by BlackIronEpee »

Hey, I'm a fencing coach and personal trainer, I can set you up with some programming for strength and speed (power) if you would like. I am guessing you won't like what you hear though. Conan no, but for real power you have to develop a lot of strength. Not big muscles, but strong ones first. Specific dynamic work (for power or speed) is fairly useless without a solid base (at least a year) of strength training. Your training should look less...medieval and more like a football player's. I wish it weren't the case but weight training is by far the quickest, most effective way to develop strength, power, athleticism agility and any other athletic quality.