long sword exercises

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

willmc349
Wayfarer

Re: long sword exercises

Post by willmc349 »

I've gotten a lot stronger since April. Now I need any info i can get on techniques. I don't really have anyone to practice with, so if it's anything that can be done by myself I would be grateful.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

There are groups in just about every major city. A search online will help, as a group is the best way to go.

Whether you find a group or not you'll probably want to some reading on the subject.

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/

Has a good many books on Longsword techniques. I can recommend anything by Christian Henry Tobler, I have several of his books. Unfortunately "Fighting with German Longsword" is out of print. You can find a copy online but it will cost a small fortune.

John Clements books on swordsmanship are a useful read. You may find his earlier writings a bit arrogant, but later writings have an indication of swallowing a chill pill prior to publishing.

There are also several books on Italian Longsword. I havn't read any of them so I won't make specific recommendations.

While you specify wanting to learn hand and a half techniques, I can't help but recommend reading up on some single hand techniques.

Mike Capanelli, a fellow ranger here will probably chime in soon. He has a good deal of knowledge on the subject.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

BlackIronEpee wrote:Your training should look less...medieval and more like a football player's. I wish it weren't the case but weight training is by far the quickest, most effective way to develop strength, power, athleticism agility and any other athletic quality.
I'm sorry, but I really must disagree with this whole statement. Your training shouldn't look like a football player's unless you're planning to play football. If you intend to use a sword, then you should practice using a sword. And weight training is not only unnecessary to achieve all that you list, but may even be detrimental to such. If it is the "quickest, most effective way" to reach those goals that must by why the military completely avoids it in basic training, right? Pushups, pullups, squats/lunges, and sprints will get you a lot farther and provide a lot more usable strength.

Beornmann gave a pretty good overview, and checking out his provided links is well advised.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Odigan wrote:
BlackIronEpee wrote:Your training should look less...medieval and more like a football player's. I wish it weren't the case but weight training is by far the quickest, most effective way to develop strength, power, athleticism agility and any other athletic quality.
I'm sorry, but I really must disagree with this whole statement. Your training shouldn't look like a football player's unless you're planning to play football. If you intend to use a sword, then you should practice using a sword. And weight training is not only unnecessary to achieve all that you list, but may even be detrimental to such. If it is the "quickest, most effective way" to reach those goals that must by why the military completely avoids it in basic training, right? Pushups, pull-ups, squats/lunges, and sprints will get you a lot farther and provide a lot more usable strength.

Beornmann gave a pretty good overview, and checking out his provided links is well advised.
I agree and disagree (does that make sense?). While I agree that weight training is important, you can achieve the same goals with other types of bodyweight only workouts. I say the best type of exercise regiment to do is the one that fits your fitness level, body type, and spare time. Cardio should be included regardless of whatever else you do. In the end its better to exercise with a chair, some water filled milk jugs and a pull up bar than do nothing due to lack of access to equipment. For a great start, Check out this link! it has some great "themed" workouts (I like the gladiator and do the plank workout often) and some recipes.

As for practice with a sword, really despite what adherents to one school or another may tell you, the basics are about the same, the true difference lies in the nuances. The lines between Italian and German really get burred when you get to Meyer. For a great and ongoing listing of drills from some of the best practitioners HEMA has to offer click here. For a decent example of the Meyer cutting drill check this out, Here's Keith Ferrel doing a flourish from Codex 3227a here, and lastly (and a shameless plug) here my groups website, Long Island Historical Fencing Society.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

That should give you quite a bit to digest.
Winter is coming
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Don't know about your digestion, but I am stuffed! I won't be eating again for a week! This is great info Mike! Wow! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

The Matt Galas flow drills are a lot of fun. I just started showing the new guys in class those. They really give you a good idea of how to keep the sword in motion.
Winter is coming
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

If I had known about your group before I left Long Island I may not have come down here at all! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

This thread has made me wonder about something. From before "Conan" with Arnold, all the way through the current "Hobbit" films, you see characters swinging swords around, twirling them, etc. Anyone with more expertise than I have care to weigh in on that?

It seems to me if you're in the middle of 'kill or be killed,' such flourish only opens you up to losing control of your sword. As much as I've enjoyed heavy sword fighting with the Society for Creative Anachronism, I think I'm a bit of a berserker. I want to use my shield to punch, shoulder in to people, etc. I guess this is why I like playing hurling; it's about as full a contact sport with quasi-sword skills as I can think of. I've noticed that SCA swordplay really favors tall people, even if they aren't necessarily as strong as their opponents.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál