Happiness is a full quiver!

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Happiness is a full quiver!

Post by Udwin »

Alright, I think I finally have enough arrows put together to warrant a showing-off thread.
This is what my current quiver started out as. I made it in high school for a Halloween when I went as an Elf archer. It wasn't horrible, but as first attempts usually go, it also left plenty of room for improvement.--constructed from a single thickness of salt or alum-tanned(?) deer leather, all whip-stitched with artificial sinew, clunky three-point/two-buckle strap system, &c... (one buckle eventually found its way onto my haversack's shoulder-strap)

Flash-forward to 2013, after lurking around here and seeing some awesome designs, I was inspired to resurrect and re-tool my old quiver. This thing is SOLID now--the full length is reinforced by a tube of 1/8" homemade cow rawhide, all stitched with linen and hemp. A wide band of inch-thick felted wool from one of my old sheep around the top and in a wool ball at the bottom serve to muffle the rattling of arrows almost completely. The side opening has been edged with trade wool to protect one's hands from the sharp edges of the rawhide while drawing arrows, as well as to further muffle sound.

(a bit closer view as it hangs under the mantel)

And what does one put in his quiver?
Arrows! Coppiced hazel shafts, roadkill turkey and goose fletchings, strap-iron broadheads, all bound up with roadkill deer sinew. (Except for the small-game blunts, those are unfletched and tipped with period-inappropriate reclaimed bullet casings).
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Happiness is a full quiver!

Post by Straelbora »

Very nice. I recently make a quiver (pics to follow) but have only store-bought arrows at this time.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Looking forward to seeing it Straelbora. Udwin amazing job on the arrows and quiver I would never have guessed that you reworked your old quiver it looks fantastic! My plan is to start work on my new quiver this winter and I do have one question why didn't you fletch your small game arrows?
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Two reasons why my blunts are unfletched: First, because historically in my region, it was very common for small-game arrows to be simple bare shafts. They're not meant for long-distance shooting, and at ranges appropriate for small game they fly straight and hit hard.
Second, because I've used up all my feathers on the other arrows! :lol:
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

I may give that a try so I can keep the rabbits out of my garden next spring.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nicely done!
I really enjoy the way you incorprated the side draw type opening, I am sure you will have fun with it and I must say it has a great look on such a woodsy quiver, very natural! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: