Guess what came in the mail today.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Guess what came in the mail today.

Post by Eric C »

Sigmund Rengeck's "Knightly Arts of Combat"!!! Woohoo! I'm happy to finally have a fight manual that is recommended by quite a few people. I just got home from work not long ago and I haven't had much of a chance to look through it.

So..... Who's up to getting together and working through the book with me? :mrgreen:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Guess what came in the mail today.

Post by E.MacKermak »

I would love to once I am home in April. I have Christian Tobler's "Fighting with the German Longsword" and Brian Price's "Sword in Two Hands." I dabbled with both, but have not been able to put any serious effort in. Ringeck's books have been on my wish list for a long time and I would be interested in seeing what he has to say on the subject.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

April sounds good. Things will start warming up nicely by then. I have very little in the way of training gear, but I do have a longsword waster. I'll have to study up on Ringeck between now and then so I'll have a basic knowledge of it by that time.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I will need to acquire a good waster and some protective gear by then, but I am looking forward to it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would love to but I need to finish the teleportation machine first... I seem to have misplaced the directions :lol:

I have my eye/bam wishlist set on a few books that I may try to squeeze in so let me know what you think of that one.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

My new puppy ate my directions to the teleportation machine.

I'll need protective gear as well. At the very minimum I'll need to get my hands on a fencing mask.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I guess I will be training with a 6yr girl this spring :oops: I hope I don't get beat up to badly again :oops:
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Oooo! Six year olds are viscous! They will hurt you quickly. :lol: I'll be working with my kids too I think.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'll be visiting my in-laws sometime this summer so if you're not far from Denver NC I can come by and train with you. The dates still up in the air but I reply to this thread once its set.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay. I'll have to search for Denver to see how far away I am. We may have to find some place in the middle if it's too far. I'll be looking forward to it!
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

When Eothain and I started learning, we didn't use fighting manuals, but through the years of our knuckles getting whacked a few concusions and many bruises; we developed certain styles stances and strategies/combos. Now that we're older, we looked into manuals and surprisingly, we've been using legit styles all along! Woulda been alot easier!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Oh....

I was going to guess a mummified kitten head, oops...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Cinead wrote:Oh....

I was going to guess a mummified kitten head, oops...
I'm still waiting for that. May have to find a new supplier. :evil: