Scenario - February 2014

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Scenario - February 2014

Post by Greg »

You are a group of three...a man, an elf, and a dwarf. Any similarities to real people, characters, or events is entirely coincidental.

It is early summer...clear skies, temperatures in the eighties, and dry. Quite dry.

You find yourselves at a small Rohirric village a half-hour ahead of a group of eleven Orcs you overheard planning to raid this village during the night. You made for the village to warn them, only to find it deserted of men/soldiers...they are all off at war, leaving behind one old gruff man well past his prime and into his seventies to guard twety-four women and children.

The Enemy:
Eleven Orcs
7 with Scimitars and Shields
3 with Polearms
1 with a bow and an unknown number of arrows.

Your Resources:
Man: An arming sword and a 1.5' round shield. Long knife on his belt.
Elf: A bow, six arrows, and a small knife. He can shoot...but he's not legolas material. No New Line Cinema heroics, please.
Dwarf: A single, two-handed axe.
Six Buildings: Mud-and-clay construction, with thatched roofs. Each has 1-2 6" square windows. One building, the stable, has an attached pen containing two sheep and a goat. The rest are housing.
One grizzled old former rider/soldier of Rohan.
7 Adult Women
13 Children ages infant to twelve
4 teen girls
One 4-wheeled oxcart full of hay with a single ox hitched up.
One wooden hay fork.

Feel free to take the following little map and edit it in MS paint to better illustrate your plan, if you desire.

I'd recommend posting your answer without reading replies first...we tend to be heavily influenced by others' opinions. After you've posted, you can always post again later with comments on others' ideas. Don't be offended if someone picks apart your strategy...the whole point of these exercises is to put your mind to work on something, and shoot your own strategy full of holes until you find a solution that is bodkin-proof. One sword sharpens another, and all that good stuff. Though I hate that line, since I've never seen a sword do anything but notch another...

Reeeeadyyyyy....GO.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Scenario - February 2014

Post by Peter Remling »

First try and make 1 straw and clothing manniquin that I'd place on the roof of the building by the penned animals. I'd put the ox in the building also. The human takes the pitch fork with him. In front of the dummy would be a slight wall of hay about the height of two modern bales. The dummy would be moved by the elf behind the wall of hay. The dummy would also bear a bow like object made from a branch and some string, cord or a thong. The first likely target of the Orcs would be the archer (dummy) on the roof Once the Orc archer shoots several arrows at the dummy (by this time it's supposed to be night) our Elf makes the dummy go down.

The human is on the second building on the right with a decent pile of stones of various sizes from softball right up to bowling ball size. The dwarf would be behind the last building on the left (this is the building that is housing the women and children with the elderly man watching the door from the inside. The thatched roof has been wetted down in case the orcs decide to use fire.

Once the dummy archer goes down the dwarf comes into view goading the orcs to attack. As soon as all orc eyes are on the dwarf, the elf reaches over and withdraws all the orc arrows the either hit the dummy or ended up in the hay wall. The elf's first target is the orc archer who will most likely stay back a bit as he should be providing cover fire if needed. The dwarf can turn and run around the building if the orcs start to get too close but he must always stay close to the building.

After the orc archer is down the human will start throwing rocks to draw some of the orcs off the dwarf. The human has the pitch fork to help against pole arms being used against him. The elf will continue to shoot at the orcs particularly the pole weapon carriers first. When some of the orcs start to concentrate on the human, he will switch to the larger heavier rocks and drop them straight down. The dwarf can continue to elude, taunt and when possible trade blows with the orcs.

If things go well the elf will be able to use the orc arrows. At a prearranged yell the human draws his attackers off to the side of the house he's on away from the elf. The elf should now be able to come down from his building and with luck collect the rest of the dead orc archer's arrows. The elf would then stick to the left hand buildings and shoot at the backs of the orcs attacking the dwarf.

That's the plan and as you can see it leaves a lot of questions and a lot up to luck.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I would pay to see that put to film. I was describing what you wrote to my wife, and trying not to fall out of my chair as I said "..and then, once this mannequin is dead, a Dwarf pops out and starts heckling them..."

As funny as it was to read, it's completely legitimate as well.

I can imagine a few of the orc's arrows may pass through the mannequin...could be hard to pack the hay tight enough, but it's possible. I really like that you're making an effort to extend the Elf Archer's usefulness by deliberately finding ways to collect orc arrows.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Depending on the time we had, I would set up a trap. Have all the people able, dig a small trench circle. Inside the circle I would place some hay from the ox cart. Since its the dry season, the hay should catch ablaze very easily. The elf would be set up in a position to quickly light the hay with a flaming arrow (assuming its possible to start a fire). With luck, the fire trap will have dealt with at least few of the orcs. The old man and the elf would be stationed behind the ox cart off [tipped over] to the side. Assuming the archer would be positioned in the rear of the raiding party, the elf can shoot at the archer while the orcs are still scrambling from the fire. Once the archer is down, the man and the dwarf can charge the orcs. While the orcs attention is on the two attackers, the elf and old man can attempt to retrieve the dead archers arrows, old man guarding the elf. As all four people fight, the orcs should be defeated.

There is a lot of assumptions in there but hey that's what this is about right :mrgreen:
Attachments
plan.png
plan.png (15.59 KiB) Viewed 16923 times
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The first thing I would do as the three Rangers, would be to assemble the group of people together, let them know the situation and assess the nature of the seven adult women. Those who are strong and have any fighting ability would be asked to volunteer to stay and help (we are talking about women of Rohan. Strong independent folk who don’t molly coddle their women folk and who could be relied on to defend the home when the men were out!) I would get all the youth with the infants and the others together and pair them up while the volunteers (lets say three hardy women) get extra clothing from indoors and meet at the barn. The man and dwarf empty the hay wagon into the far door of the barn by the pen, then bring the ox and cart to the top end of town. The old guard has already taken the refugees out the left side entrance of town and are moving them away quickly to whatever close cover is in the direction of the nearest population (most likely the next small rick or cot to warn and seek reinforcement)
The old guard will of course try to hide or brush away the tracks as they move away in single file.

The Elf will take some hay and some brush and a blanket along with some oxen dung to a spot about 30 yards before the opening of town and off to the right of the path constructing a shallow “lay out” with the brush and hay cover and rubbing the dung on himself and around the lay to mask scent. (this may or may not be needed but the Dwarf thought it a good idea) He will prepare his bow and arrows with his primary target being the orc archer, who will most likely bring up the rear and shoot from a more protected position in the back of the formation. He will let the group pass by him focused on the diversion ahead and come out of the lay for an easy surprise shot at the back of the archer who will be intent on what is in front of him. He will select targets of opportunity after the archer is dead and his arrows are in the elfs quiver, and most likely pick some of the stragglers off from behind as they move into the town.

The Volunteers packed the extra clothing with straw and set them in the back of the ox cart as decoy women, which will wait till the orcs are in sight before leaving, driven by one volunteer.
They will leave out of the town in a wide arc to the right, and if the main body of orcs choose to split , the elf will swiftly run an opposite intercept course off to the right to meet up with the wagon and make a stand with her, firing back at pursuit from the back of the cart as they draw close.

The man will dowse the hay with any oil or accelerant available from the homestead and set a small torch to light on the north side (if the map’s top is north) stuck in the ground between the barn and the next house up. One volunteer woman will hide in there with a spear or at least a hay fork.

The other will hide with a weapon, and the bar to the double barn door in the house across from the barn. The barn’s double door will have one door shut and one about a quarter open.

The Man and Dwarf will set up at the mouth of the steading, Man on the right of the Dwarf. The Man will try to keep the shield between them and will hack from the right the Dwarf will swing from the left.

They will make a show of resistance until the last minute when they turn and call to the oxcart to hurry away (they will already be a few hundred yards away and arching off to the northeast based on the map orientation). The driver will call then back with a distinctly feminine voice.

The Dwarf and Man will retreat into the barn with a great clamor and taunt, drawing the attackers inside the barn to fight.

At This point the orcs will either attack en mass into the barn, or split and send some in and some to pursue the wagon. Either way the volunteer women will wait for them to get into the barn and or split and move to the north before running up and shutting and barring the double door behind them (gotta have a double door to get the wagon in, is the assumption here) The Man and Dwarf will have to put up a good fight to draw in all the attackers that are coming but as soon as the door slams behind the attacking force they are out of the back door around the piled and very flammable hay and the other woman has tossed the torch onto the hay pile which will quickly catch to the hay carelessly strewn around the rest of the barn. That door is then closed and barred and the barn abandoned to the flames.

If all the attackers are inside it is just a matter of making sure they don’t get out and forking them as the try. (either way they are forked!) If there are more attackers after the cart, the Man, Dwarf and one woman will join the attack on the pursuing force from behind as the woman with the pitchfork tends the fire and breaks out the marshmallows.

The Elf has been waiting for nice close shots at the pursuing bunch and will pick as many off as possible, the woman will keep driving, the others will attack the orcs from behind.

There is the possibility that the orcs may fight well and prevail but they will have to contend with vicious Rohiric females, Smelly Elven archery, a burly Dwarf with a two handed axe and a large bottle of BBQ sauce, and a Man with a bright sword and strong shield as they listen to the screams of their dying comrades burning to death in the town.

In any event the majority of the townsfolk are safe and away and the Barn Raising is planned for next week so bring some fried chicken and potato salad and don’t be late!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hah! Pete you crack me up! I love it! :mrgreen:

And Sam, Well done also! it is fun to copy the scenario into word and work on it off line then come on and see the results from the other participants, you can tell we all think like Rangers!

These are great Greg! :D
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Here I fleshed out that picture for you...

*** DUCKING ***

farmstead.jpg
farmstead.jpg (103.87 KiB) Viewed 16898 times

(For the extremely literal, this is NOT the hamlet from Greg's scenario)
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg

Post by Greg »

You know, I was tempted to use that map. I opted out because even a simple fence/palisade like that one would make this too easy, and I wanted a challenge. Props for making
my wife laugh, though.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Argh, I was listing a bunch of probable farm implements with the idea that I could cobble some pole arms from fascines, bill hooks etc. then I realize that you have given me just one hayfork. I'm still assuming that boys remain boys and have toy sword length sticks and slings.

OK, here are my other assumptions/extensions.

1. Orc Objectives: Terror then supplies (plunder first them burn, take no slaves but leave a few alive to spread the word.)
2. These are the children (stats chosen at random)
Non-combatants:
one is a babe in arms.
4 more are under the age of five and mixed gender
There are two girls 6 and 7 who can take care of them.
5 year old boy with sling

Combatants:
2 boys 8/9 with slings and sticks
2 girl 10-12 with aprons full of stones
11 year old boy with a sling
3 teen girls with aprons full of stones
1 teen girl with sling
3. We are using traditional seasons and early summer means Mid June, right before the second harvest.
4. The area around the hamlet is cultivated barley, 3' 6" in height and Ghirka 1517 (first heritage wheat varietal from the Eurasian steppe I found online) which is about 5'4" a this point.

Plan:
Load non-combatants children, 3 women and a lot of rocks on haywain. Send haywain 'running' at first sign of orcs. Give 1 teen girl with sling the elf's coat and ranger's coat to old man. have them walk beside the Wain.

Hide children & dwarf in the tallest grass. hide man, elf, and women on the back-sides of house roofs.

Orcs have three options:

1. follow the bait (all go after haywain)

If so, after they take off after the wain have those hiding come on them from behind.

2. plunder the village (all go into the village)

have combatants surround them and attack. Burn buildings they hide in if necessary.

3. Split up.

If so, then have those on rooftops take on the orcs in the village, and the ones in the grass take on those chasing the wain.

In any case, have the elf target the Orc bowman as soon as practical. The Man, Dwarf, and Elf's job is to kill orcs and keep people safe, women's and kids' job is to disorient the orcs enough that they cannot effectively fight.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Seeing as we only have a half hour to plan, what I'd do is extreme and simple. I'd get the children in the cart and charge the 4 teens with guarding them and getting them to the nearest village ASAP. Next I'd have the remaining people burn one structor. Then I'd divide my 12 combatants in to two groups. Group 1 will consist of the old Rohirrim and 5 women. The other would be my party and the remaining women. We would then take cover over to the left rear flank of the Orc party. When they came to investigate the burring village group 1 would hit their rear flank. When they turn to find they're facing an old man and 5 women, ego would hopefully get the best of them. When they engage group one my group, still in hiding would hit the rear flank again. Its desperate but a half hour is no time at all to get small children a safe distance away. Whomever survived the encounter would then track the children.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

While my plan has a lot to be desired, you guys are a bunch of pyros ! :P

" It is early summer...clear skies, temperatures in the eighties, and dry. Quite dry. "

I'm trying to protect life and property, while the rest of you seem to want to create huge bonfires and roast the goats and the ox. :twisted:

Greg never mentioned you havn't eaten in days or did I just miss it ! :wink:

I don't remember the Professor ever mentioning a Ranger's Mental Asylum or three escapees. :) :)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hey barns can be replaced! the people getting out of there safely was what I thought the greater priority, so causing more clamer and light and smelly smoke so the tiny, obscurred trail off to the west would be totally overlooked was prudent. At worst we endanger three adult females that were volenteer and most likely more than up for the tasks set for them.
We may have some trouble putting the fire out after the barn starts really getting engaged with all that orc grease, then again we may just join hands and sing Kumbaya! :wink:
Oh and the Dwarf says...

"Goat?...what goat?....Aah dinna see no goat!...(Burp) anyone 'ave any curry? :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Peter Remling wrote:While my plan has a lot to be desired, you guys are a bunch of pyros ! :P

" It is early summer...clear skies, temperatures in the eighties, and dry. Quite dry. "

I'm trying to protect life and property, while the rest of you seem to want to create huge bonfires and roast the goats and the ox. :twisted:

I don't remember the Professor ever mentioning a Ranger's Mental Asylum or three escapees. :) :)
Yeah, but he didn't mention any wind. Also a torched house or three is better than torched children. which is assuredly the Orcs' intent.
-Jack Horner

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

The perfect post to make my intro! In my opinion the village is lost already so I'll use it for bait. First I'll say that I've taught and lectured on WMA and HEMA for over twelve years so I'll rely on my experience here as if I where the man. First Id have the veteran lead an evacuation of the villagers to the nearest cover(woods, ravine etc). Next I would hide the man and dwarf off on the right flank outside of the village. The elf would be on the left flank close enough to not waste arrows, say hidden in a quickly laid out pile of hay. I would make no effort at first to stop the orcs from ransacking the village. Once they have spread themselves thin over the complex seeking plunder the elf would strike. If possible he would take out the archer first. After that his instruction would be to shoot calm, careful and deliberate, he does not have to make kill shots just wound them and put them out of the fight or lessen their fighting capacity. Say he kills three including the archer and wings another and misses the other two shots. Several of the orcs break off and give chase, the elf runs straight to the villagers hiding spot whereupon they are surprised and slaughtered by the villagers led by the veteran and the elf. All the while the remaining half dozen orcs, eyes now diverted to the goings on, do not realize the man and the dwarf have made their move. They strike, working as a team. The man uses the protection of his shield to cover the dwarfs deadly dane axe all the while striking as and where he can. The orcs, once again distracted do not see the villagers strike from behind. The remaining orcs fall into panic and die quickly. The veteran dies and several villager take nasty wounds. That night they feast in honor of the victorious dead.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:While my plan has a lot to be desired, you guys are a bunch of pyros ! :P

Hey man, I only burned one building. And as far as escaping from an asylum, have you been talking to my wife again?
Winter is coming