Funny Story...

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Funny Story...

Post by Greg »

So I'm gearing up for a hike to test my new distance trekking gear, and am dressed exactly as you see me in the photos in that thread. Mostly because the time of day we're talking about is a whopping 30 minutes before those photos were taken.

I'm about to sling my cloak over my shoulder, tied up as it was, when the mail lady parks outside the front of my house. "No biggie...mail's here."

Now, as I watch through the window, she starts coming down the walk with a cardboard tube, roughly two feet long. I get excited "Oh, it's here!"

Then, horror of horrors, she knocks on the door, and stands there expectantly, with a USPS delivery confirmation slip in her other hand. Mind you, I'm not dressed as most would expect of a person answering the door for a package.

I move to start whipping off the extraneous gear, think better of it, knowing what's in the package, and say "Well, this could be fun."

So I march my wool-clad keester right up to the door, whip it open like I'm strutting into Nottingham castle with a wild pig across my shoulders wearing green tights (with my seams perfectly straight, mind you), and smile as proudly as I can muster. I sign the sheet, graciously accept the package, and watch her expression change through a variety of confusion, comedy, and just a hint of embarrassment on my behalf, before the door closes.

Eric C's two-edged byknife whips out of the scabbard conveniently hung at my belt, and in moments, I have the tube--which has a rayed star drawn upon it adjacent to my name and address in permanent marker--rent asunder, and my hand happily slides this lovely number out of the package.

For scale:
With Ardeloth, its soon-to-be-companion.

She was originally supposed to be a bit thicker than she is now. Odigan is very knowledgeable in his craft, and is an artist to the point of knowing what it was that I really wanted, and needed, in the blade, rather than simply going along with my drawings and dimensions, which at first, created a brick. Don't get me wrong...she has some serious authority, and went straight through a 1.25" sapling. But there's a degree of finesse still, and she's light enough to not be tiring to use. She's a sturdy bush knife, and learge enough to engage a full-size blade, much as was Andy's vision for his "langseax" he commissioned from Paul Champagne years back. This isn't supposed to fulfill that same void exactly, but many of the same uses are possible.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Funny Story...

Post by Straelbora »

Very nice blades. Heavy duty yet elegant.

I had an opposite kind of sword delivery story. Years ago, when I was still living in Detroit, I ordered a sword from maybe Museum Replicas. I wanted it delivered to my work address, not my home address, as the postal service just left packages on the porch.

The vendor said that they were only able to mail to the address that was the billing address on the credit card. I told the person on the phone that if the sword were to be mailed to my home address, they should keep an eye on CNN for the news of a string of gas station and convenience store robberies done at swordpoint.

They relented and mailed the sword to my office.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks great good work all
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

LOL, all dressed up just for the mail lady. But hey at least you were prepared to open your package and share the beauty inside with us. I can only imagine what the mail lady thought of your outfit, but I would guess she will be wondering every time she drops your mail off from now on. At least you weren't all dress up in a Spartan from 300 outfit.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Though out of all of us...I am sure you could rock those breifs! (envy, envy!) :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Very nice, and a humorous story.

I run around in kit so often no one twitches a hair these days...and some will ask me why I am dressed funny when I am in mundane clothing. ;)

Good job! :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I've had similar experiences while in my Jedi Knight kit....at least were memorable
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eledhwen wrote:Very nice, and a humorous story.

I run around in kit so often no one twitches a hair these days...and some will ask me why I am dressed funny when I am in mundane clothing. ;)

Good job! :)

Eledhwen
I've gotten that a fair bit. I'm sure you all have experienced the "You're supposed to dress up" joke on halloween when you show up in your usual trekking gear, and everyone's like "That's cheating..."

It was a great day to be in kit. The hike the followed--reluctantly, without the new toy, as it has no scabbard yet--was glorious and well worth the time spent gearing up.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.