Swordsmanship and weapon skills: A Ranger's Library

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Swordsmanship and weapon skills: A Ranger's Library

Post by Peter Remling »

Please feel free to add any relevant books or sites that I have missed and bear in mind they are listed in no particular order;

www.thearma.org

www.the-aes.org/Home.htm

Medieval Combat -Hans Talhoffer

Old Sword Play -techniques of the Great Masters_ Alfred Hutton

Renaissance Swordsmanship- John Clements

Medieval Swordsmanship - John Clements

Medieval Sword and Shield - Paul Wagner and Steven Hand

Secrets of German Longsword- Christian Tobler

Fighting with the German Longsword- Christian Tobler

Swordsman's Companion: Medieval Longsowrd - Guy Windsor
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Reviewing the sword books : I'm going to start with the ones focused on German Longsword.

Medieval Combat by Hans Talhoffer, Hans Talhoffer was a Swordmaster during the 15th century and this is a translation of his fightbook. It has some great period illustrations and one can get a very good idea of the positions and some of the moves.

Secrets of German Longsword by Christian Henry Tobler, Mr. Tobler has taken the works of Hans Talhoofer and Litnaurer (sp?) and translated not just the literal but has put in comments on the actual meaning. This I found to be not only very interesting but clears up a good many misunderstanding that can and do occur when translating something not only from a different language but a different century.

Fighting with the German Longsword by Christian Henry Tobler, Mr Tobler second book on the subject of the German longsword is a modern fightbook, complete with many pictures showing stances, movements, attacks and grappling.

All three of these books are well worth purchasing. If your funds are limited and you are interested in learning the use of the German Longsword the first of these you should pick up is "Fighting with the German Longsword".
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I would also add "Knightly Art Of The German Longsword" By David Lindholm and Peter Svard. I found this book much simpler to follow the Fighting by Tobler in the beginning, but got more form the Tobler books later on when I had some experience. I think it's the way it's laid out and how the illustrations are very neutral as opposed to a human body. Also there's a great DVD by the Ochs school in Germany that's been immeasurable help to me in my studies.

You can by the book here......
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... d&x=0&y=21

And the DVD here................
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAct ... ProdID=252
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, what about one-handed swords/ sword and shield? I have my Clontarf and was wondering if there is a book that would be good for helping me to learn to use it. Also, I am finally going to start on that fantasy story I have threatened to start for some time and the typical fighting style will be sword and shield. I looked at Medieval Sword and Shield on Amazon, but it didn't have much detail about it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'll see if I can send you down my copy sometime this week. I'll keep you posted.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I have it, great book but it's focus I:33. You should also check John Clemens "Medieval Swordsmanship". The first section is sword and shield and it's a great book. Remember though that if you learn longsword the footwork will be very similar. I started with longsword and was able to translate most of what I practiced to Sword and shield and sword and buckler.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Longsword is certainly on the list of things to learn. It would work well with my Tinkersword. Some time ago Tinker and I discussed whether it should be a two-hander or a hand-and-a-half. We settled on a two-hander. I'd love to learn to cut with it because I imagine it would be a mean cutter. If I can get batteries for the camera, I'll try to get some pics of the Tinkersword posted.

Pete: you're too generous. I'll be looking forward to seeing the book.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Mike,

What is I:33?

Andy
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Andy, Mike can probably give you a better answer but I:33 is a manuscript on single hand sword use.

I havn't seen a copy but have heard it referenced several times. While looking for a copy online I found this via SFI and although it's not I:33 looks like a great swordsmanship refernce site for the scholarly types out there. I personally prefer translations, yes errors can occur but they're probably a lot more correct with their interpetations then I'd ever be.

www.sirwilliamhope.org/Library/
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

well Andy in short, I:33 (One Thirty Three) is s far as I know the oldest medieval fightbook in existence dating to sometime in the 1200's (the exact date escapes me at the moment) and just so happens to be the focus of Steven Hands book "Medieval sword and shield". It shows a series of "plays" between two combatants known as the priest and the scholar. These plays serve to convey the art to the reader, most likely a noble who commissioned the book in the first place. The only problem with the fetchbachs is that the author or authors assumed you already knew the basics, so they we're written more as a guide for the advanced student. People like Mr Hand have spent years researching and putting in to practice what's contained in those books. Well so much for the short answer....LOL.
Winter is coming
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Thanks, both of you.

I'll definately try and get my hands on "Medieval Sword and Shield"

Andy
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Yet another book to add to this growing list is "Sword In Hand" by Brian R Price. Although I picked it up around December I've only now started to work from it. Great book and a must if you've been following Guy WIndsor book "the Swordsman's Companion" This book expands and continues on the Italian tradition guy introduces in his book by adding the plays essential to learning the core techniques of the Fiore system. Mr Price delivers on this with clarity and precision as he reveals the inner workings of this system as taught in his school, Schola St George. As far as I'm concerned this book is a wonderful addition to anyone studying medieval combat and a must have for followers of the Fiore system. Either way you won't be disappointed.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Pete,
Got the books in today. Thanks! I've only browsed through them since I haven't been home long. I'll check them out more thoroughly then send them back soon.
Thanks again.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Great list and a nice review. These are good basics manuals. Pretty much how I started.

Clements’ Med Swordsmanship. Nice illustrations and cursory overview of stances, sword position, & other “how to fight” ideas. Not worth the money, but borrow someone’s. It worth the read.

Rector’s “interpretation” of Talhoffer. B&N’s has in the bargain section for $5, but don’t expect much. No interpretation or explanation of fighting methods, only brief captions. It’s five bucks…GO GET IT!

I’m a Tobler fan. “Secrets…” opened up the box for my development in longsword. I highly recommend this, BUT if you are short on budget, I agree with Peter, get “Fighting…” first. Secrets is the interpretation. I loved the layout and is everything I expected from a martial manual. Showed the original manuscripts text with Liechtenauer's Verse & Ringeck's comments, & explained the interpretation with good pictures.

I like Windsor’s Swordsman's Companion and easily digested the material, having had the German play understood. Took away several helpful sections (timing, footwork, schedule), but one thing turned me off completely. I found the multiple changing partners in the illustrations irritating. Establishing who’s-who every different page killed me – seems like every student in his school got in the book. Tobler’s only had himself and Ben, I.33 had The Priest & The Scholar.

The Ochs DVD. Way cool. Highly recommend. Now if I could just afford a huge TV or projection in a training space. Seriously, one must maintain constant spatial awareness when working this in the living room.

Hand/Wagner – Sitting around for a while and starting to read and work. Seems OK.

Lindholm and Peter Svard. Read off the rack, but did not purchase. By this time, it looked similar to what I already had.

I have many other SCA related fighting manuals & melee articles, but some believe this does not translate to the use of a real sword.

Note: This is not a paid endorsement.
For fighting manuals, bookmark: http://www.chivalrybookshelf.com.

I may soon get Price’s “Sword in Two Hands”. I'm on his Schola Saint George email list and what a great study group.

Other ideas:
English Martial Arts by Terry Brown
English Swordsmanship by Stephen Hand
Codex Wallerstein by Grzegorz & Bartlomiej Walczak
Fighting With The Quarterstaff by David Lindholm
Dwight McLemore’s series; Bowie and Big Knife Fighting System, Fighting Tomahawk, & Advanced Bowie Techniques. I friend reviewed and said was OK, but poor illustrations for the $35 price.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Would this thread be more appropriate in the WMA/NMA section, and not the Woodcraft section?