Bow poundage for a teen girl

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Bow poundage for a teen girl

Post by Eric C »

Here's a question for our archers here. Christmas gifts were delayed this year until we could afford them. But we have been planning to get Ruinferil a better bow and some arrows that are spined for it. She's 14, about 5'8" tall and strong as an ox. I'm wondering if a 40 pound bow would be a good weight for her or if I should go a little lighter due to bone development. Thoughts? Ideas? My old longbow is around 40 pounds. I could let her shoot it but I don't want to risk hurting her for life.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Bow poundage for a teen girl

Post by Elleth »

I suspect that'll be kind of heavy for her at that age - you say "better bow" so I assume she has / is using one now? What weight is it?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Can't really say without knowing the draw length, and draw weight of the bow she is currently using. She's a bit on the tall side..well, as tall as I am in fact, so a proper length bow should not be a problem.

Draw weight...that depends on what she has been shooting and how comfortable she is with that. 35# is not bad for an intermediate bow. 40# could work if she is used to shooting. That five pound difference can be quite pronounced depending on how much practice she gets.

FWIW

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

She is using a very low poundage fiberglass recurve at the moment. A 35 pounder may be best for her.
There is a dealer on etsy. I can't remember his name right now. I will check it out when I get home. I think his u finish bows have a range of poundage such as 35-40 pounds. That's where I'm planning to get the bow.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.