WMA - Spear Work

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: WMA - Spear Work

Post by Kortoso »

There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I don't like Coleslaw.....

I like the spear though !
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I am a bit of a fan of having a spear. My only issue is the difficulty of carrying both my spear and my bow (72" longbow). Pretty much it is one or the other, though I am rarely out without a staff of some type.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

If I was actually sending folk about to patrol against orcs and the like, I'd hesitate on sending out single Rangers, as romantic as that might be.
To my mind, an ideal unit would be four worthies: Two archers and two spearmen.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Kortoso wrote:If I was actually sending folk about to patrol against orcs and the like, I'd hesitate on sending out single Rangers, as romantic as that might be.
To my mind, an ideal unit would be four worthies: Two archers and two spearmen.
Faramir would agree.
The Two Towers, Chapter 4 wrote:Four tall Men stood there. Two had spears in their hands with broad bright heads. Two had great bows, almost of their own height, and great quivers of long green-feathered arrows.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Good brother Ranger Aria and I were running through our Ranger fighting skills the weekend last.
Of course, I prefer to play with my realistically weighted side-sword simulators, and we went through the various levels of play. We even managed some grappling.

I had brought along a pair of boffer spears that I made, so we made a go of it. The shafts are made from PVC, so you can almost strike around corners with them. I took Aria through the Swetnam and Fiore material, but then I spied another WMA practitioner in the Salle, doing what looked like a Chinese staff routine. I was wrong. He was doing Meyer polearm. Here's a good site that discusses Meyer's staff and halberd techniques.
http://www.freifechter.com/training/mey ... er-s-staff
And since we all love video, here you go: