An Oft-Forgotten Weapon

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

An Oft-Forgotten Weapon

Post by Chris Russo »

Fits in a pocket, has unlimited ammunition (depending on your location), can be used for hunting or combat, can bring down creatures as small as a squirrel and as big as a giant...

...if you can just figure out how to aim the bloody thing.

I'm getting good distance, now, and at least am consistently shooting forward-like. I'm also experimenting with a few different techniques, many of which do NOT involved standing there twirling it above your head for ten seconds while telegraphing what you're about to do.

So how about it? Have any of you tangled with the mighty sling?

Don't think slings are specifically mentioned in Tolkien (though quoits are), but it makes sense--they're almost culturally universal...

Here are some of my attempts:

One
Two
Three
Four
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Yeah, I've tried several times and have 2 laying around someplace. The trouble is you need a large area with 360 degrees of clearance and no one else is the surroundings.

My brother Mike had gotten pretty good and could consistantly hit a posted speed sign sized target from about 50-60 ft. He used to take lead sinkers a alter them with a hammer to form a more traditional sling bullet. It resembled a miniture football (ours not a soccor type). When he used regular stones he'd get them from a river or streambed, nicely smoothed and somewhat round.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I tried this out while we were building the house. I would spend an hour or so, chucking rocks out of our dirt “yard” into the tree line. Never got that accurate to fell any giants, but wasn’t horrible.
Slinging.org has some nice articles.
Wikipedia has a good short section on how to sling.
I believe the sling was mostly an ancient weapon used against non- or lightly armored troops. I always think to compare the Roman slingers engraving taunts on their lead shot, like “Take That, “ to our bomb crews writing on their ordnance.
The Anglo-Saxons only used the sling for hunting and a border on the Bayeux Tapestry shows a slinger hunting birds.
I cannot find a ME reference other than the later interpretation of AD&D Halflings’ use of the sling.
Could also be used as a survival hunting tool or weapon, but not very Ranger-ish on the batlefield or skirmish lines.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I toyed with slings constantly when I was a kid. Got pretty good.

Now...*sigh* I can throw it forward...but forward can, in my way of thinking, cover 90 degrees of motion, so...I'll stick to my bow, thanks. They're fun, but borderlining on useless in my hands. I'm WAY more accurate just throwing the rocks, though they're not moving as fast.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Beornmann wrote:
I cannot find a ME reference other than the later interpretation of AD&D Halflings’ use of the sling.
Could also be used as a survival hunting tool or weapon, but not very Ranger-ish on the batlefield or skirmish lines.
I believe it's mentioned in the Prologue to 'The Fellowship of the Ring' that Hobbits were adept at slings and stones. I will have to get my copy out and check it.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Mirimaran wrote:
Beornmann wrote:
I believe it's mentioned in the Prologue to 'The Fellowship of the Ring' that Hobbits were adept at slings and stones. I will have to get my copy out and check it.
It is. I was just listening to the unabridged version and it's in the chapter "Concerning Hobbits".
Winter is coming
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

lacking anything clever to say.......
Willrett

Re: An Oft-Forgotten Weapon

Post by Willrett »

I would love to try it but I don't think it would be used to much for battle. Might have some hunting uses. I am working (very slowly) on a book and one of my characters will have a sling shot but I may sub in just a sling.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I just picked up the September/October issue of back woodsman and in it there is an article about attaching a sling to a staff. It goes into pretty good detail and sounds pretty promising.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The Romans had whole units of slingers from the Balearic Isles...where the best slingers are still found today. Later Roman armies had the staff-sling...a sling attached to a staff. The Celtic peopled too used slings for war...Roman surgeons found arrows did less damage than sling stones..although they were far more dangerous against armor.

For the most part, I doubt an individual sling would be very useful for battle. But for purposes other than that, they can be very useful. I have one I work with periodically...takes a deal of practice to get skilled with them.

Siani
Nandalad!
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

i was in love with slings for a while. so simple, portable, and deadly. sadly after about 2 years of off and on pratice i cant hit the broadside of a barn. i may pick it up again, as bows seem very cumbersome to me, and i have yet to get good with throwing axes(which is what i currently favor).

slinging.org is a great resource.

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
David

Post by David »

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=maki ... ated-guide

StumbleUpon brought this up, and thought you might like it Chris.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Ben Potter

Post by Ben Potter »

I just found this topic and thought I'd let you know about my brother Timothy, who is a sling maker. Here is his website:

T.J. Potter, Sling Maker

Enjoy
It's not that I would trade my lot,
For any other man’s,
Nor that I will be ashamed,
Of my work torn hands.

For I have chosen the path I tred,
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof,
And the consequences reap
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

cool site thanks for the link.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

This articla was referenced over at My Armoury and thought some folkes here might be interested:

http://journalofasianmartialarts.com/cm ... mic-RD.pdf