Stage combat training.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Stage combat training.

Post by Willrett »

I found this site and thought it might be helpful for some people, myself included.

http://www.safd.org/
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Stage combat training.

Post by Kortoso »

Anthony Delongis had a video called Broadsword for Stage and Screen. It was a pretty quick and simple tutorial on basic choreo.
The basic routine looked very similar to what Boromir is taking the Hobbits through in this clip:

Looks like five cuts, ending with a strike to the head, which is the basic routine that Delongis described.

Of course, Cinco Teros escrima has five strikes too.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Delongis is great. Awesome stage combatant, and an entertaining actor. He had a couple of episodes in Highlander. He's also involved in the Martinez school of Destreza, the Spanish rapier and dagger system. I do have his video.

That being said, stage combat is wrong for learning actual combative techniques. The object of stage combat is to avoid hurting the other person. And that is a valuable skill. I really admire good stage combat. I used to do some at different SF conventions. It's a lot of fun.

But it builds in the wrong set of reflexes. When you train in actual combat, you develop a different set of reflexes, timing and targeting. And it's hard to override those on stage. On stage, you want to wait for your partner to signal that he's ready for you to swing. In combat...not so much.

As for escrima, it's an awesome system for training sword.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Pwyll wrote:That being said, stage combat is wrong for learning actual combative techniques.
With respect, nobody in this thread mentioned anything about actually going to war. :P

Delongis is spoiled living in LA being able to train with both Dan Inosanto and Toshishiro Obata, both probably as private lessons. :lol:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Heh. Fair enough Good point.

Oh, yes, proximity to Guro Inosanto is a great thing. He is awesome to work with. Just amazingly fast.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.