Middle Earth and Helmets

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Middle Earth and Helmets

Post by Ernildir »

I love that Numenorean helmet. :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

While we're discussing helms and helm projects here's a helm up for sale on Ebay. It's a good basic norman helm or a great project helm to create a Dwarf or Dunadain helmet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120838414142?ss ... 1423.l2649

I haveone of these from the late eighties, a little padding or a coif and you're good to go for several medieval time periods.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Mirimaran wrote:Aha!

It is good to know that this old Ranger still has some uses from time to time. I am sure your Lady is of the highest birth, and did not mean to associate her with the beaded folk, but they are of noble stock themselves and it is no slight to be compared with their company. Might that your noble Lady would post, from time to time, so that we would know her better....

As for the project, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've always had a problem with helmets because I have a long straight nose. Any guard I either remove or bend out of shape. Anyone else have this problem?
So true Mirimaran, in fact though they may be more of an acquired taste for those of mannish descent, most Dwarven women are strong, passionate, independent and intelligent, yet have a strong sense and pride of the duties of hearth and home. One would be fortunate, if hard pressed, to find such qualities consistently in other races.
If it is the beards that put one off, might I suggest that most Dwarven women young enough for the inclinations toward romance, have merely what most would consider "sideburns" or just a bit of cheek fluff.
Either way any female should be honored to bear a resemblance of character if not stature to such valuable lovers, workmates and companions, in my humble opinion. :mrgreen:

BTW to return to the sugarloaf helm discussion I always envisioned the Knights of Dol Amroth to be armored in a more modern fashion of augmented plate mail, (that is mail and or leather with attached plate) and a sugarloaf with conical or even possibly a spangen type skull piece would to me seem acceptable in that regard. There are crusader helms that are of a spangenhelm skullplates used into the late 15th century. with full face plates and visors.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: