Middle Earth and Helmets

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

kaelln

Re: Middle Earth and Helmets

Post by kaelln »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ringulf is a true artist!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ringulf, is your open work helm one of zweihammer's kits? It has the look. How's it work for you?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

No it was not a kit,
I took four bands, one brow band one ridge band and two side bands, then cupped and sewed the 4 "spangen" into them. It is very comfortable and believe it or not extremely protective.
It was designed to be costume only as the need to truly protect oneself from pvc, pipe foam and duct tape, is not terribly alarming but I made it stronger than most leather helms and it has better cushioning. So it is very good at what it does!

The only drawback is that though it is made traditionaly and will someday be recreated in metal and leather, I substituted other materials for it's construction.

It is made from "larp leather" which is a three layer sandwitch of fuax leather foam and cloth. pvc matting that you would use to line under a shower or tub, and it is decorated with sculpted mold makers rubber, (the type that starts out like sculpy clay but becomes very strong and flexible.

I have put together several helms in the last few years from patterns I obtained from the SCA and Armor Archive. I made a totaly leather helm for a friend that was 100% authentic which I am going to duplicate for myself when I get the time.

Ah! In re reading your question Ceadmon you said the "openwork helm" looked like the kit. Sorry about that, I misunderstood. It was based on some of the SCA helms I have seen and used but that one was made from heavy plastic like the pickle barrel stuff we use for armor. It is put together with pop rivets. My actual battle helm is alot like it in metal.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Wolf
Wayfarer

Post by Wolf »

pretty cool!
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Hi! New to this forum, here.

Thought I'd pipe in on this thread, as I've made several helmets over the years, most of them based on Viking or pre-Viking designs.

This first one is a loose interpretation of the Vendel XIV find, from about 600 A.D. It is not a terribly accurate reconstruction, though. Since I made this over 10 years ago, I have gotten a lot of primary source information (such as Stolpe and Arne's "Graffaltet vid Vendel") and currently have a much more accurate reconstruction in the planning and very early execution stages.
Attachments
Redone Vendel XIV 001.jpg
Redone Vendel XIV 001.jpg (85.65 KiB) Viewed 16063 times
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

This next helmet is sort of a composite with features borrowed from several different pre-Viking and Anglo-Saxon designs, with varying degrees of competence in execution. Again, it is over 10 years old, and is not representative of my latest research or capabilities. Indeed, there were enough problems with the execution of this helmet that I actually tore it down (recycling most of the pieces elsewhere) and rebuilt much of it to be closer to the original helmets of this type. I'll see if I can find or make some smaller size pix to post later.
Attachments
Helm-Front Close up.jpg
Helm-Front Close up.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 16063 times
Vendel_Quarter Shot.jpg
Vendel_Quarter Shot.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 16063 times
Helm-Full Front.jpg
Helm-Full Front.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 16063 times
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Here is my only dedicated "Middle Earth" helm to date. I made this awhile ago for a fellow that had his own Middle Earth re-enactment group some years ago. He wanted a Numenorean helm that had some fantasy elements such as wings, etc., and based upon a Greek style helmet. So this is what I produced...
Attachments
Jeff's Helm-Side View.jpg
Jeff's Helm-Side View.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 16062 times
Jeff's Helm.jpg
Jeff's Helm.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 16062 times
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

One last pic I can post since it is small enough. This is my very first helmet, which I finished c. 1989 or so. It is an attempt to replicate the Gjermundbu find from the Viking Age. It differs significantly in construction details, and suffers from my utter lack of expertise at that point (not to mention source material). I am currently researching this helmet to make a much more accurate reconstruction, having obtained among other books the work of Sigurd Grieg, the archaeologist that found the helmet and wrote about it in "Gjermundbufunnet". Unfortunately, it is in Norwegian... ah, the joys of translation!
Attachments
Gjermundbu1.jpg
Gjermundbu1.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 16060 times
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

wow welcome and great pics.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My Helm is off to you Sir! :mrgreen:
Wonderful work!!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Welcome, sir! Absolutely brilliant!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome to the list, love your work!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Welcome to MERF!! And those are very very beautiful helms!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Love the helms, what gauge steel do you use?
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Peter Remling wrote:Love the helms, what gauge steel do you use?
Thanks for the kind words, all!

As to your question, it varies. The very first helmet, based on the Gjermundbu find, was all 16 gauge cold rolled. The second one, based on Vendel XIV, had a 16 ga. frame with 18 ga. infill panels, IIRC. The cheek plates and back plates were also 16 ga.

The composite helmet was a real corker, with 12 ga. frame and 14 ga. infill panels (!!!). It was hideously heavy, like 11-12 lbs or so (which is why I rebuilt it later).

How it *should* be done is a bit different, though I was vaguely in the right direction. As far as I can tell from my research, the frames were usually fairly thick, but the infill panels likely quite thin. So think minimum 14 gauge for the frames, or even heavier (the Coppergate helm from York, UK, was 1/8" thick on the brow band, and I think there is a similar thickness on the Vendel I helmet as well. The nose to nape and ear to ear bands were around 14 gauge, off the top of my head, for Coppergate). But the infill panels were likely quite thin, perhaps 18-20 gauge. So you get some pretty stiff frames with good protection, but keep the weight down. Also makes assembly a bit easier, as well - on the rare cases where I've done all light gauge, there is a tendency for the frame to warp as I'm putting in the infill panels. This is minimized or eliminated with a heavy duty frame.

Note that I am guessing to some extent - sadly, most archaeologists and museum curators cannot divine the method of use of a micrometer or calipers (or even a decent postal scale) and thus we are invariably missing key information as to the dimensions of these helmets. The foregoing is a highly educated guess, but still only a guess, as to how this was done originally.