some help with dyeing wool

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

some help with dyeing wool

Post by Iodo »

This question isn't related to middle earth so I'm being naughty, but I have a large piece of plaid wool with dark grey on a white background, I would like it to be dark grey on a moss-green background

all the research I've done into dyeing wool says I have to boil the dye bath, the fabric is so huge that isn't possible, so my question is: is there a way to use a store-bought acid dye without keeping the water at a sustained high temperature?

also dylon dye (that I've used before for linen) says you can add acid to fix it on wool/silk but I couldn't find an example of anyone trying this, maybe it would work?

any input here would be helpful :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: some help with dyeing wool

Post by Udwin »

-Wool shrinks and tightens (aka felts) when subjected to heat and agitation, so you don't want to boil the wool. Wool takes dye so well anyway, I think a Warm dyebath is fine, hot might be okay if you don't agitate too much but boiling I would avoid.
-Cloth takes dye better if it's damp, but if (as I'm guessing) this is something blanket-size, stirring the cloth probably isn't practical.
-When dyers talk about adding acid for dyeing wool or nylon, don't be intimidated; a cup of white vinegar always works for me.

Here's what I would do: Submerge your fabric and squeeze out excess water, get your large dyebath (dye + vinegar) hot, add the damp fabric, stir if you can, and just let it sit until the water's cool.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I've no meaningful experience with store dyes, but from my little bit of natural dye experience, I *suspect* if you boil the water with the dye packet, let it come down to warm-but-not-boiling temperature, then put in your fabric for a while you'll do fine. Wool seems generally eager to just soak up color.

You'll need to stir/resettle it a bit if it's tight in the pot though, to keep it from going tie-dye on you.

edit - yeah, what Udwin said. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks so much for the replies and the help :P

I've ordered some of this:

https://www.colourcraftltd.com/fabric-a ... almon-6362

hopefully it will work, do you have any tips of how to gauge mixing another color to change the shade of the dye slightly or is this just done by trial and error?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.