Pictures of your Sewing Kit

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

needles

Post by RikJohnson »

Asa mentioned before, I was gifted with some bits of ivory which I turned into needles.
Then I took some antler pieces and cut them into needles.

BUT, I broke a lot of them drilling the hole.

Just this morning on another forum, I read a note where some guy drills the thread hole, THEN he shapes the needle!

duh!!!

Next week when Shea cooks that turkey I'll save the drumsticks and try it out.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Pictures of your Sewing Kit

Post by Manveruon »

I just love those "eureka" moments when you realize you've been doing something backwards all this time, haha.

Ever consider selling any of your bone or antler needles? I wouldn't mind having a few for my period gear, and I'm not sure where to find them.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:Ever consider selling any of your bone or antler needles? I wouldn't mind having a few for my period gear, and I'm not sure where to find them.
Historic Enterprises carries some bone needles that I've been eyeing, but I'd much rather buy from a forum member if that was a option.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

True indeed! I'll have to check those out though.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

not selling but...

If I make enough, I have no problem gifting them to people.
we;ll see.
I havbe the drumsticks in the crock pot boiling the meat off so will dry and cut and dril land shape and so on this week.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very cool! If you're ever inclined and have enough to spare, I wouldn't say no!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

RE Bone Needles.

The leg bones are almost dry.
I'll cut the ends off tonight, clean out the marrow and let them dry a few more days.
Hopefull, I can start making needles this weekend.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Here is the beginning of my sewing kit. It's a needle case I made, based loosely on an extant 14th century example. When I say loosely, I mean that I saw a picture and said "I bet I could make something like that if I did this..."

Apologies for the frankenstitching - I don't have really any leatherworking experience.

To go in it, I made a needle out of some brass wire and an awl out of one of those cheap wooden chopsticks you get with takeout Chinese food. The grooves on the awl are so I can also use it as a leather edge slicker. Both fit into the case. I also have a harness needle for leather repair that goes in there.

And here is a picture of it in my hand, to give you an idea for scale. I've also wrapped some linen thread around the base so I don't have to care a separate spool. The little cube is beeswax to wax the thread.

I still need to make a sheath for my awl that I can wrap heavy thread around, some pins (probably out of copper wire so I can easily differentiate between pins and needles) and I might get some snips to use instead of my knife. Then some spare buttons and leather cord and a drawstring bag to carry it in, and that should do it for the first incarnation of my sewing kit.
Last edited by Taurinor on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think you did a great job, well done! Love kits of this type, keep those pics coming!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very well done! Don't rag on yourself for the "frankenstitching" as you called it...your stitching looks fine. The trick to changing the look from what you're seeing as "bad" to what you would see as "quality", honestly, is simply to keep the stiches small. Get your holes a little closer to the edges, and get your stitches closer together. It'll take a heck of a while longer to do, but the result, knowing the work you do already and the motivation behind your complaint, will be more what you're looking for. The stitching looks fine as is, and works well for its use here...most of it's hidden, so no one will ever see what you consider "poor quality", and, frankly...a needle case isn't assaulted with the same stresses that boots or a quiver are. I might even venture to say that a period craftsman might have gone the route you did, with minimal stiching, for the sake of saving thread and cutting down on time spent better doing other, more quality-controlled work.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Taurinor,

your leather case is better than I could do.

I've always 'laughed' at those guys who brag about how much money they spent at the Ren Faire on a pair of boots or pants or even a pouch as if the value was in the cost. Sure they look fancy but then, they are afraid to actually go into the Fiueld with their gear for fear of scratching the leather.

Making your own is, in my opinion, much better as it is your work and personal and gives you bragging rights that the checkbook cannot match.
And every time you look at a patch in your clothes, you can remember, "that happened when I was Rangine in ... " memories.
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

Good looking pics and some great ideas!
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I made a sheath for my awl and a pouch to keep my sewing supplies in:
The knife is my general utility knife. I may get some scissors or snips to keep with my sewing kiit.

Here's it all packed up: