Erebor Axe

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Erebor Axe

Post by caedmon »

Well, since everyone is posting axes...

Here's one I'm working on. I'm calling it the Erebor Axe, and it came from me wondering if I could adapt a Galloglass Axe to a single handed thrower. Since it's fundamentally ahistorical, I figured I'd spruce it up Hobbit style.

It's a grind down/weld up from a crappy Darksword axe I bought years ago. (Don't judge me!)

The inked decoration will be copper inlay when/if I can figure out how to do that.
gallowglas.jpg
gallowglas.jpg (297.03 KiB) Viewed 14175 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Erebor Axe

Post by Kiriana »

Well it's coming along very nicely Caed.. looking good!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have been drawn lately to the Gallowglass style and have seen a few examples that I really like.
The ones with the high dorsal horn look like they would be devastating fighters in the style I have studied and trained in.
Having the ability to hook, cut and thrust, makes an axe all the more versityle and useful a weapon.
That one looks very nice, I look forward to seeing what you are going to do with it!
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking good.

Instead of copper inlay, how about darking it then doing the inlay in nickel silver. YOu can get the inlay wire in many black powder online sites.
Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Avery P. »

Peter Remling wrote:Looking good.

Instead of copper inlay, how about darking it then doing the inlay in nickel silver. YOu can get the inlay wire in many black powder online sites.

Heck yeah, that's a good idea. And fairly cheap too.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

My plan is to darken, and the reason I was going for copper is entirely aesthetic. I like copper.

As for ease of use/cost, is there anything that makes German silver easier to use than copper for inlay?
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

caedmon wrote:My plan is to darken, and the reason I was going for copper is entirely aesthetic. I like copper.

As for ease of use/cost, is there anything that makes German silver easier to use than copper for inlay?
The inlay wire is designed wedge shaped so the pointed end goes into the carving and you hammer on the wider side. I havn't seen copper wire desined specifically for this purpose but then again, I never looked.

Good Luck either way and don't forget pictures.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Yes, this is really how slowly I work.

The axe is nearing completion. I have still not successfully engraved, so I finally chose to etch instead. Here's a teaser. My 12 year old is my trusty Naugrim standin.

erebor_axe.jpg
erebor_axe.jpg (122.12 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
dwarf.jpg
dwarf.jpg (240.59 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
-Jack Horner

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice Jack and your son cuts quite a rakish swath as a Naugrim warrior, I must say! His Lamellar is very nice and the targ looks great as well, altogether very impressive! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

caedmon wrote:Well, since everyone is posting axes...

Here's one I'm working on. I'm calling it the Erebor Axe, and it came from me wondering if I could adapt a Galloglass Axe to a single handed thrower. Since it's fundamentally ahistorical, I figured I'd spruce it up Hobbit style.

It's a grind down/weld up from a crappy Darksword axe I bought years ago. (Don't judge me!)

The inked decoration will be copper inlay when/if I can figure out how to do that.

gallowglas.jpg
I have long felt that this style of axe with its long dorsal "horn" is very well suited for a thrower as the aggressive dorsal horn loves to stick hard when trying to achieve that all important 45 degree angle to the target.
When using it one handed as suggested by the picture of this fine "Beardling" warrior, it adds the very important lunge or stab as an optional surprise in your list of loving strokes! (one of the last things an opponent will be looking for from an axe fighter!) :mrgreen:

BTW I love the combination of the Dwarven Erebor mountain with the Norse styled Varangian raven. Not only is it eminently appropriate, it marries the Dwarf and Norse styles together in one piece and acts as a "Rosetta Stone" for my Dwarf interpretation! Thank you for the president! :wink: