New Water Bottle

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rysgil
Wayfarer

Re: New Water Bottle

Post by Rysgil »

When I make bottles, I use an air compressor rather than packing it with sand. It blows the sides out and dries it in the same process. Speeds up the work.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Interesting concept. Could you provide pics or a video ?
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Rysgil wrote:When I make bottles, I use an air compressor rather than packing it with sand. It blows the sides out and dries it in the same process. Speeds up the work.
I use a simillar technique, air compressor & ballons.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've been putting off doing one of these because of the sand and mess. This solution resolves that so I'll have to give it a whirl.
Rysgil
Wayfarer

Post by Rysgil »

Not at this time except for maybe a an unfinished bottle. When I moved last year to VA, Pops took possession of my compressor and hasn't given it back. But I'll see what I can come up with.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Sand? Messy? There are messier things, that's for sure...

The "barrel" type of leather canteen looks like it was pretty common in the middle ages.

Another (less messy) historical technique was the use of wooden molds. I recall seeing some that look like their molds were made on a lathe, giving the finished canteen a "disk-like" appearance. I can't find the pics and webpage at the moment, but you get the idea.

Here are a couple of folk who made costrels without sand:
https://leatherworkingreverend.wordpres ... er-bottle/
https://sevenstarwheel.wordpress.com/20 ... d-testing/
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.