New helmet WIP

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: New helmet WIP

Post by Eric C »

At long last, I have made some progress on this helmet. I have riveted in the leather panels. I will have pics later today - hopefully. But I have a question. The leather isn't as formed to the helmet shape as I would like. I was wondering about wetting it with hot water and forming it more. But I'm concerned that when it dries, it will shrink and tear away from the rivets and be ruined. Any suggestions? Input?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I don't experience much shrinking with piece I do - but I've not done anything of the size and shape you have, so I'm not certain it'd work perfectly for you. Perhaps wet it just enough to get it pliable enough to mount, then brace it in position with clamps instead of rivets as it dries back out, and punch the rivet holes after all is dry?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wet it in room temp bath for about a minute. Then about 20 seconds immersion in just sub boiling water will do the trick with minimal (just about no shrinkage) I would prepunch the holes and wet form it right to the inside of the helm directly out of the hot water, fastening it as you stretch or form. (I start in the center in the back and keep it even going forward) If you have to, use nuts and bolts till it dries so you can get them on quick (or the barrel bolt/Chicago screws) Then when it is all formed and dry. You can, if you like, rivet it on, I would load it up with a conditioner like mink oil to keep it supple. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

WELL, the problem is that I had everything fitted up nicely so I went ahead and riveted it all together. Now there are some places that I don't like as much. I will try to get some pics up when I get home from work. It may be acceptable, but it wasn't my original vision.

BTW Ringulf, keep your eyes open and I'll give you a glimpse of our joint project. :wink:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

You could rivet the leather in as it is now, and then wet the leather and stretch it to your liking afterwards.
The force that wet leather exerts as it dries is somewhat exaggerated sometimes.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I think I am the world's worst at saying I will post pics, then never getting around to it. So, here are a couple of progress pics on the helmet:

I'm still planning to add a nasal and most likely an avontail, but it will take time.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's really starting to come together. Neat project, Eric!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.