New Longship pouch and another on the way!

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I posted a little while ago about some of the projects I had been working on but did not get a chance to put up any pictures. So I thought it would be interesting for you to see the new longship pouch.
I had stated that the concept of the first one was to have been inspired by the Gotland picture stones but the red stain and tan leather made it a bit more animated than anticipated. So this next one I made naural with a chocolate brown background to represent the Gotland motif a bit better.
This particlar pouch was cut, tooled and dyed prior to the Celtic fair and as we were vending with the Norse Celtic Heritage Society (in full garb and in front of our viking tent), I was sewing it together.
Before I had it finnished I had it sold (several times over so I took orders) but the first buyer was a freind and went home with it on her belt.

I am making another now that will be customized for it's owner. It will be Green, white and med brown with his Device: a wolf's head afronty (looking at you) with a sword raised from nose to forehead(pummel down) and the prow beast of the ship will also be a wolf in profile (very much like those of Peter Flanagan's Brotherband and Ranger's Apprentice series).

These pictures were taken by Brandwyn at the fair just before we gave it to our friend Melbrigda, I also made a seax for Mel that was based on her wanting to start a "Hedge School" of crafting. And so, Thorny was born.
But I will put that up with a few of the more recent bunch of knives I have been doing in the next post.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: New Longship pouch and another on the way!

Post by Taurinor »

That's amazing! I especially like how you used the middle shield to keep the flap down.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

That's just cool as all get out. :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Tomcat1066 wrote:That's just cool as all get out. :mrgreen:
Tom if you take a close look at those straps you will see the background tooling I was suggesting for our project. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

I like it. Looks like something we can work with, to say the least. :)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very cool. A well thought out project that looks as good finished as it did in your head, I bet.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice working
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

most people would mug you for the money INthe pouch, I'd mug you for the pouch itseslf.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Tomcat1066
Wayfarer

Post by Tomcat1066 »

RikJohnson wrote:most people would mug you for the money INthe pouch, I'd mug you for the pouch itseslf.
He might need to install a "Take A Number" machine, so muggings can at least be handled in an organized manner. :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all!

Just a short note as I am short on time, but I had commissioned our good fellow Ringulf to make a pouch for my wife's birthday, which arrived today, and I cannot begin to describe how awesome this custom pouch is. I had suggested a "Viking kittens" theme, from the infamous youtube Immigrant Song video a few years ago, and he knocked it out of the park! I don't know if I will have time to get pics up, but if not I hope that Ringulf will be able to. If anyone has been hesitant to have Ringulf make one of these pouches for you, let me assure you that you will not be disappointed! Awesome, awesome job, Scott!!!!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It was my honor to make your wife something special, these have been growing in popularity, they take a bit of time but are fun to do, the variations are endless. In fact I am thinking of doing the next one as a Swan ship and putting the sillouettes of the final chapter of ROTK. I was thinking of a midingt blue with stars and trim of silver with white swanship and sail. Some elven runes and such. (why should the vikings have all the fun?) :mrgreen:

There you go Ken your pics, I just put them up for you!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Okay, that is just AWESOME ! Great, fun concept !
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Outstanding. :)

Now, a Swan ship thing for Dol Amroth and Numenore. ;) I bet you could too.

Great work.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Awesome designs Ringulf! Keep'em coming.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks for posting these, Ringulf!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"