Woodland Cordial: Herbalism Experiment 1.0

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Woodland Cordial: Herbalism Experiment 1.0

Post by Elleth »

Inspired by Greg's cordial, I finally got off my butt and decided to take a crack at herbalism. This is the first of two projects: an attempt at a Dunedain woodswalker's cordial based on elven Miruvor.

It's herbalism time!
herbalism-lets-get-started.jpg
herbalism-lets-get-started.jpg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 17475 times
A true Miruvor-clone I think might use a distilled mead instead of brandy (distilled wine) - but from what I could tell perusing brewer's forums mead isn't typically distilled these days because (legal issues aside) it's just not cost effective, expensive as honey is. So I didn't put a great deal of effort into searching for it, deciding to keep one variable the same across all experiments.

Anyhow, the carrier is brandy for all. Perhaps I can find a high enough proof mead in the future to try a closer "miruvor" clone in the future - in the mean time, brandy's certainly "period" enough for Middle Earth. :)

So what exactly is the carrier carrying? I started with Greg's recipe, which I have going as a control:
Greg wrote: This recipe is my own, based on the making of 18th century medicinal cordials, which promised to fix a myriad of ailments, though only successfully clear the sinuses, warm the chest, soothe the throat, and a few other choice remedies.

The recipe, unlike a period-correct one, uses ingredients specifically referenced in Tolkien. It began with a Korbel Brandy, 40-proof, which is where the warmth, kick, and painkilling come from. That's also what provides the bulletproof shelf-life. Keep it sealed, and you're set forever.

Next, I steeped the following ingredients in it for a full six weeks, shaking/mixing it each day, never opening:

Sliced apples, raisins, sage, & thyme.

This adds new flavor to the Brandy, and "additional medicinal qualities" if you use herbs with additional qualities. I stuck with ingredients we know exist in the north/west of Middle-Earth.
Analyzing that some, I got to thinking.. "okay, the alcohol of course.. then I bet that apple provides a good source of more complex carbs, provided it survives the tincturing process." Specifically I was looking for a somewhat complex starch, figuring that the honey would be a good simple sugar carb-slam for quick energy, but some more complex starches that took a while to break down should lessen the come-down from the sugar and hopefully get some longer-lasting energy into the body.

So I decided to run 4 tests: potato (Hobbits have 'em!), apple, wheat berries, and oat groats.

After that I perused lots of herbalism websites and books for what might help deep body fatigue and achiness. These are my resulting recipes:

Tincture I:
1 cup(ish) brandy
1 potato
1 Tbsp Nettle Leaf
1 Tbsp Rosemary
1 tsp Valerian Root
- once tincture infused, mix 2 parts tincture: 1 part honey

Tincture II:
1 cup(ish) brandy
1 apple
1 Tbsp Licorice Root
2 Tbsp Peppermint Leaf

Tincture III:
1 cup(ish) brandy
¾ cup (ish) whole oats
1 Tbsp Basil leaf
1 Tbsp Nettle Seed
2 Tbsp Nettle Leaf

Tincture IV:
1 cup(ish) brandy
¾ cup (ish) whole hard white wheat grains
1 Tbsp Basil leaf
1 Tbsp Nettle Seed
2 Tbsp Nettle Leaf

In practice, I cut back all the starches just for room in the jar. Nettle seed is REALLY tiny, so it's more like 1/2 tsp in III and IV.
Also, III and IV each got a little cutting of my window kingsfoil....err.. Globe Basil. :)

And here we are! Sitting in the pantry for 6 weeks or so, along with a 2-3 week old Greg's Apple "Ranger Cordial."
miruvor-cordial-experiments.jpg
miruvor-cordial-experiments.jpg (128.74 KiB) Viewed 17475 times
Of course, after all that I realized I forgot the most obvious folk remedy for achy muscles: salcylic acid / asprin! Drat! Anyhow, some willow bark is on the way for a Test V.

Analysis

I realize I'm juggling several variables simultaneously here, but as a first run I think it will really help narrow down some awesomeness.

Things I've noticed right off:

1. I don't like the valerian. It's got a druggy-mind-cloudy sense to it. Perhaps I just used too much, but I can't say I'm fond of what I smell. I don't think Tincture I will be a success.
2. Tincture II smells sweet and yummy. I think it will be delicious, but I've no idea how medicinal it will be.
3. I really like the oat-groat base. The groats have a nutty sweet-but-not-too sweet flavor and fulfilled-ed-ness sense to them that I think will really help III.
4. Tinctures III and IV smell *really* good - "wholesome and healing" is what my nose tells me. IV is slightly sweeter-smelling than III, but both are wonderful. The fresh basil really puts them over the top. I'm very optimistic about these: especially III.
5. The one thing I'm NOT certain about III/IV: a little more reading I've done since researching recipes and ordering ingredients is that the nettles are used more for adrenal fatigue: which means it's possible a young healthy man who's just tired from time out in the cold might not get the same benefit as someone with more chronic issues. I'm not certain on that point however- plenty of time for experimentation when they're done.

Now for the hard part. The waiting.
:mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Woodland Cordial: Herbalism Experiment 1.0

Post by Taurinor »

Wow, this is awesome! A ton of research, very well thought out experiment, and great write-up!
Elleth wrote:1. I don't like the valerian. It's got a druggy-mind-cloudy sense to it. Perhaps I just used too much, but I can't say I'm fond of what I smell. I don't think Tincture I will be a success.
I use valerian as part of an herbal tea to help with falling asleep, so "druggy-mind-cloudy sense" is pretty spot on. Also, it smells like dirty gym socks and is very bitter. You've got some other strong flavors in Tincture 1, so the smell/flavor might not come through, but it's pretty aggressive.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's the nice thing about the brandy-honey mixture. The ingredients smooth out the brandy a little, but the brandy tames strong herbs a bit down through the process, too, so strong flavors like sage and thyme don't assault the senses. Maybe that'll balance out nicely.

Cool experiment you've got going here! I'm excited to learn a bit more about these functional ingredients, so I can tweak my own recipe to work a little harder for me, rather than just being tolkien-specific. At the end of the day, no one's going to know what's gone in it, so if it departs from the text but serves a better function and is still an all-narutal herbal cordial by definition, I'm cool with carrying it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

They're ready!
merf-cordials-00-completed.jpg
merf-cordials-00-completed.jpg (140.26 KiB) Viewed 17396 times
I've taken some cautious sips of each, and I have to say the surprising thing is just how little the essence of each formulation changed over the course of the last several weeks.

"I" with the valerian still feels muggy/deadening. I can imagine trying it again with a bit of willow bark as a mild-ish "palliative for deep pain" - but I'm still wary over it.

"II" with the licorice and peppermint still smells like a dessert. The mint especially still hits you... but it doesn't seem "medicinal."

"III" and "IV" are the real winners. They don't look like clean clear miruvor, but they've both got a deep sense of LIFE to them.
"III" feels very "energetic", "IV" feels very "green" - and both just slam your senses with energy. I think the grain/basil/nettle combination is a real winner.

... at least for me. I'm really curious to hear results if any of you young guys give it a try.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Cool results! Interesting that the ones you were most skeptical about at the outset are the ones you found most pleasing/functional-seeming.

How did the control turn out? At first try, my wife and brother-in-law said that it was a bit of a punch in the mouth, but after, oh, I'd say two shots' worth (not back to back, mind you...over a period of a few days) I was quite pleased with the flavor and feeling. Yes, though...it did come across a little strong at first.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

What a wonderful experiment! Someday I may have to work out a trade with one or more of the awesome folks on here who make cordials like these, because I don't see myself getting into making them anytime soon, but I'd love to have some for trekking.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Greg - I like it! I think it may be mellowing a bit with time as well.

It's got a similar "green" feel as my "IV" does, but without the same punch of energy.
It's definitely very very tasty though. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Which ingredient do you think the punch of energy in the other concoctions is coming from?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'm sure it's the nettles. The basil helped add some sweet depth, but that "zing" has got to be coming from the nettles.
I used both leaf and seed in these.. my sense is that they work together in a "harmony" of sorts, but I have no data. I'd have to try a separate run with each to verify that.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Quick update: a subsequent experiment seems to show that:

1. The "zing" is largely if not entirely the nettle seeds. The nettle leaf seems to provide a nice energizing body, but isn't as punchy. The nettle leaf also is bitter/overpowering if you haven't mixed in the honey yet.

2. When you add the seeds seems to make little to no difference

3. The basil is a nice accent and I wouldn't leave it out, but it's not as important to the "green and full of life" feel as I had thought.

Tincture III (oats, basil, nettle leaf, nettle seed) is still far and away my favorite, and is going to be my standby for the foreseeable future I think - at least until I run another round of experiments. :)
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Elleth, this is awesome.

You've inspired me to do a little experimentation on my own. I had great results with on lembas experiment, so this should be fun, as well.

I do have one question, though. Where did you get nettle seed?

Going with the brandy was a good idea, and i would recommend that over distilled mead.

Reminds me of an accident I had one year, though. Trying to restart a stuck fermentation, I left a bucket of mead out on the back porch during a remarkably cold period. Well, the fermentation might have actually finished, but I wanted to be really sure, you see. And when, a few days later, I pulled it in, there was all of this ice on the top. It just looked unsightly, so I threw that out. Couldn't have all that ugly ice in my mead, you see. And what was left was remarkably interesting. And strong.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

`
First, great work!

I do not partake, so I didn't pay attention to this post. I'm sorry, Elleth.

But I'd like to offer some thoughts now, if you will indulge me:

-Nettle has long been used as a "Spring Tonic," so I'm not surprised at your results.

-I wouldn't use Valerian for something like this. But you seem to have found that out yourself!

-Apples taste good, and are a stimulant. They are loaded with good stuff. I'm glad to see that you included them.

-I don't think that I would have used Brandy (unless you like the taste). Mead would fit. I think that I would use Vodka. Most modern homemade herbal tinctures will use Voka as a base (though Brandy and other types of alcohol can also be used). It will give you that "clear" quality which was described. Also, it is made from 'taters--which we know Hobbits had.

-Peppermint is a stimulant and has a pleasant odor. I'm glad to see that you included it it one of your trials.

-Licoricice is another good one and is particularly good for the adrenal glands.

Here are some new things to consider using:

-Honey. It is a great source of sugar (with different enzymes) which will give you a "pick me up." It tastes good , too.

-Celtic Sea Salt--flavor depending. It can also bring out sweetness. In another post, a member went on to dismiss the recommendation of this salt. He provided what looked like some internet type-information and based his conclusions on that. He did that with other things as well. The problem is, he didn't go far enough in his research. I didn't want to waste my time responding to him--it sounded like he had his mind already made up. This salt contains over 90 minerals, trace elements, etc. in a form readily usable by the body--these are absent in table salt and many sea salts as well. These nutrients are in a concentrated form in this salt. It is helpful to think of these minerals and trace elements as "mini-batteries." Since miruvor is rejuvenating, this would fit right in. In fact, when combined with honey, it is kind of like a Ranger Sports/Rehydration drink.

-Red Raspberry Leaf. It has to be the leaf. I can go on and on about its virtues. It is an excellent stimulant and loaded with nutrients. It makes a tasty tea hot or cold and should be considered in your next batch.

-Elder Flower/Berry. This is an excellent herb. It is a stimulant which helps with many things like arthritis, inflammation, etc. A combination of Elder Flowers and Peppermint is a very effective herbal remedy for a variety of ailments--including things like the flu. Elder Berry has a long tradition of being used in wines and winter cordials. The dry fruit is typically less bitter than the fresh fruit.

-Cayenne. It is an excellent stimulant. It is another one of those herbs that I can go on and on about. But it does have a bite. Also, I don't know if it would be found in Arnor. Gondor, yes. The Shire, maybe.

-Ginger. Another good stimulant. It, too, has many herbal properties. People commonly use it as a candy and a sweetener. It was used by the Romans, so I think that it is appropriate for ME.

-Ginseng. It has long been used for purposes of stamina, mental acuity, etc. People with High Blood Pressure should be careful with Ginseng since there are diffent types and research to its effects on Blood Pressure is mixed.

You'll have to look at information regarding each herb and play with the quantities. Ultimately, it will likely depend on your own taste.

I hope this gives you some additional ideas.

The preceding information was presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

-
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thanks y'all!

Pwll - actually, I got the nettle seeds off Amazon. :)
Outsidepride Stinging Nettle - 10000 Seeds
Kind of spendy ingredient - they're tiny, so "10000 seeds" isn't much at all. You can make a batch or two out of a packet though.

I chose brandy ...well, partly because it's what Greg used, and he was the first to experiment with a "miruvor" on this forum.
Also I think it fits the "Northwest European" vibe best.. though perhaps a grain alcohol would work? If memory serves, that's the origin of the first monastic "aqua vitae" preparations.

As for not inbibing, I understand. I don't find a single sip of the cordial *much* of a hit of alcohol - it's already 1/3 honey or thereabouts, so while you feel there's some in there it won't turn you woozy or anything. I'd not go downing bottles of it though. (eek!)

Elder flower sounds interesting - I like that combination! I'll have to try it sometime - in a tea perhaps?
As useful as ginseng and ginger go - in modern life that sounds great and worth trying - I think I'll continue to avoid them in a Middle Earth context however. I know the Professor imported some flora, but I try to limit that in my own stuff much as possible. :)

Thank you!
(And also Harper - I have something I'll ask you to look over via DM in the next day or so) :)
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Thanks, Elleth,

I'll give that a try. Between your experiment and Harper's suggestions, there are a lot of options here. Ah, well, Amazon, here I come!
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Elleth wrote:I chose brandy ...well, partly because it's what Greg used, and he was the first to experiment with a "miruvor" on this forum.
Also I think it fits the "Northwest European" vibe best.. though perhaps a grain alcohol would work? If memory serves, that's the origin of the first monastic "aqua vitae" preparations.

As for not inbibing, I understand. I don't find a single sip of the cordial *much* of a hit of alcohol - it's already 1/3 honey or thereabouts, so while you feel there's some in there it won't turn you woozy or anything. I'd not go downing bottles of it though. (eek!)
Alright, alright...I just wanted to explain why I didn't pay as much sttention to the post when it was originally written. Most people who make homemade tinctures use Vodka, but other forms of alcohol are also used. They last many years if stored correctly. Glycerin is typically used for children and alcoholics--but the shelf life isn't as long, maybe 3-5 years. Apple Cider Vinegar is also sometimes used, but the shelf life is maybe a year.

The High School I went to was taught by a monastic order. They used to have crates of alcohol behind the Brothers' residence.
Elder flower sounds interesting - I like that combination! I'll have to try it sometime - in a tea perhaps?
Yes, that is how the flowers are often used. The fruit can be made into jellies and wine.
As useful as ginseng and ginger go - in modern life that sounds great and worth trying - I think I'll continue to avoid them in a Middle Earth context however. I know the Professor imported some flora, but I try to limit that in my own stuff much as possible. :)
Entirely your call. I would point out that ginger was known in Europe in the Middle Ages and, if I recall correctly, ginseng as well.

I would encourage you to consider adding Red Raspberry Leaves. I wrote extensively about it on another forum. It is one of those stimulating herbs which are packed with nutrition and helps with all kinds of things. It also tastes good.
And also Harper - I have something I'll ask you to look over via DM in the next day or so) :
Sure. I don't know if I can help you much more with cordials though.