Woodland Cordial: Herbalism Experiment 1.0

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Lyra Huntress

Re: Woodland Cordial: Herbalism Experiment 1.0

Post by Lyra Huntress »

The spirit of the books do reflect the intentions of the author, but they also have access to herbs and things which we cannot find in Earth's current age. Optimally, you could include ingredients from all around the world. I think Indian Intellect Tree, Ginseng, Goji Berries, and Ginger could all potentially add to what you're making. There are more exotic things too, like Cordyceps fungus, which is directly energizing and seems to decrease recovery times for exertions (and doesn't have much of a taste by itself). Or if there is a way to add caffeine, that might not be a bad idea.

Ginger, though, is almost too good to pass up for what you are making: It's anti-inflammatory, settles the stomach, and is energizing and tasty for most people. You could probably even allow a higher concentration of other ingredients due to the stomach-settling effect of the ginger. Most people find the smell uplifting, and Ginger Beer was a common drink in Europe at least a couple hundred years ago. I don't know how far back Ginger beer goes, but it pre-dates our favorite author by a bit.

Turmeric is another good one, which is related to Ginger and might have even more anti-inflammatory properties, and seems to be an excellent medicine for the liver when combined with black pepper (but now maybe we're making chutney instead of a cordial).

If you perfect your recipe and want to make something totally different in character for different occasion, a Lemon, ginger, turmeric, honey tincture might be nice, and might go well with a little black pepper in it. Energizing and would probably just about cure a cold. You might even slip a little Cayenne in there to give it bite and the extra edge over a cold. But I don't know how medicinal or spicy you like your herbal things.

Keeping things as European as possible, in my opinion, doesn't exclude ginger though, based on what I've read about the popularity of ginger beers.

Overall though, I find many of the European herbs very subtle in their effects compared to Asian or South American plants. If you have a definite purpose you want to achieve, such as something energizing for when you're walking a long haul through the forest, I feel its easier to achieve this with a world-wide palette of herbs.

Just my thoughts. I found this an extremely interesting thread.

--Lyra
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I thought that you might find this interesting:

http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/bl ... nt-page-1/

You'd have to substitute the vanilla and citrus to be realsitic for Arnor. The recipe uses Elderflower and Honey as two of its main constituents.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

And, by way of another version, I'll be starting a batch of mead, with elder flowers added, soon. This will be nothing like the cordial, but should be interesting with regard to the taste. I got the idea from looking at that last recipe, which comes across as more of a beverage than a healing or restorative draught. And I should have that version ready soon.

But now I'm speculating about the second stage of the fermentation, what I could add... I won't interfere with the first stage. Too much room for things to go pear shaped. And mead has a more delicate taste. A cordial with a strong flavoring and alcohol can actually cover up a lot of tastes. But a mead is a different matter...
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Pwyll wrote:And, by way of another version, I'll be starting a batch of mead, with elder flowers added, soon. This will be nothing like the cordial, but should be interesting with regard to the taste. I got the idea from looking at that last recipe, which comes across as more of a beverage than a healing or restorative draught.
It does seem like more like a drink. But appearances can be deceptive.

Elderflower is an extremely powerful healing herb. It is also a stimulant. It has a long history of being used in cordials.

Then there is the energy boosting and anti-microbrial properties of the honey. Also, the vitamin C of the citrus. I think that raspberry leaf can be substituted for the citrus if you want to go the northern European route. This is another powerful, stimulating, healing herb that is loaded with vitamin C.

I don't drink (many consider this a character flaw) but I'm interested in how your batch turns out.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

I will let you know. I'll start the first stage soon. Not sure when yet. Kind of depending on the weather.

Tomorrow, I combine the ingredients on that beverage version. I used that same recipe, complete with the orange, lemon and citrus. But I've also had some nettle seed steeping in the vodka for a few weeks now. We'll see how that turns out. Should be an interesting cordial.

I've also done a couple of experiments along the lines of the first version discussed here. Should be ready on those as well. Three versions, each with a different purpose.

That's one thing I love about this whole site. A wealth of information from different people, lots of ideas floating around.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.