Antler cord lock?

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Antler cord lock?

Post by Laothain »

I've started on a new archery bracer but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to keep it tight to my arm with out it loosening up on me as I shoot. I've seen people use antler as a type of cord lock but how do I go about making one?
Worldwalker
Wayfarer

Re: Antler cord lock?

Post by Worldwalker »

You may be talking about using antler as a toggle, not a cord lock. Cord locks as we understand them are recent inventions with springs inside them. Perhaps an antler toggle for your bracers would work, like this:

Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You can also use antler or wood/bone for a cord lock. Take your piece of antler/wood or bone drill at least two holes (you can do more) in it. Thread your cord through the first hole then into the next one from the side it came out of the last one. Continue through as many holes as you've drilled, it becomes a friction lock.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - well that's clever!

I was wondering if two holes in the antler - one cord through each hole - then both cords through a tight bead would work - but that sounds much more effective Peter!

That said... either a barely-too-tight cord looped over hooks (or buttons as Worldwalker shows).. or a buckle or two might be a more convenient solution. I've seen at least one extant historical bracer on leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com, so it's supportable here as well I think. Admittedly it's late period though.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

K.I.S.S.!

Post by Udwin »

This is how I have laced my boots for the last 6 years, and I've never looked back.
You use one single lace, so you can tighten/loosen with just one hand, which makes it perfect for bracers. If your holes and lace are similar sizes, the leather will friction-lock in place on their own.
Plus, there's no big, white, farby antler buttons to get snagged on brush like in the image above! (gasp! the F word!) : p
Attachments
Works for me!
Works for me!
bracer_ladderlace.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 11669 times
I tried finding this method online, but alas, you'll just have to make do with my MSPaint tutorial.
I tried finding this method online, but alas, you'll just have to make do with my MSPaint tutorial.
boot tuut.jpg (106.07 KiB) Viewed 11669 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Does this diagram show what you do?

(From this article on lacing bodices and stays, actually)
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

All the boot-lacing pages I found with 'ladder lacing' used both ends of the lace (and were kinda skinhead-oriented, go figure), so yeah, that's pretty much it.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

Thanks for the info I went with a friction lock and I've tested a few times and I like how it works