Natural Draft Bronze Furnace

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Natural Draft Bronze Furnace

Post by caedmon »

So I'm building a natural draft bronze furnace based off three sources. The brass furnace from Theophilus' Diverse Arts, Sebastien Asmus' 'A Natural Draft Furnace' paper, and Backyard Metalcasting's refractory formula. It is technically portable, but might be a stretch of the term. It's currently about 100 lbs. and will probably gain another 50-75lbs once I've add another 1.5" of refractory. to the outside.

I hope to add iron bands and another layer of refractory tonight, with a couple days curing and a hopeful first firing on Thursday.

furnace.png
furnace.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 7176 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Natural Draft Bronze Furnace

Post by Ursus »

Very cool! I'll be eagerly awaiting to see how this works.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is awesome!

Is it for the historical village at faire? Or purely for fun/personal work?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:That is awesome!

Is it for the historical village at faire? Or purely for fun/personal work?

Yup. All of the above.

In addition to the historical village at the local ren faire (for those who don't know, Elleth & I have been a part of the same Ren Faire guild here in Alaska, sadly never at the same time.), I do pewter casting at some other local events. And then my 12 year old has become the family bladesmith (on his twelfth knife) and requires MOAR FIRE.

This furnace is satifies all these requirements and will hopefully up the ante and allow me to do bronze as well.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Now this I want to see! I'd love to see a video of that thing in action.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.