Not sure where to fit in this one....

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Not sure where to fit in this one....

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Ok, well I got a new knife a few weeks ago, but it is too modern for our purposes here for kit, but serves me very well as a go to knife inside and out. Mora of Sweden has been producing very high quality, low priced knives for years, so I decided to see for myself and ordered one from BudK for 14 dollars plus shipping. It is their Pro-C knife (C for carbon, S for stainless)

it fits very well into the hand:

and comes with a molded plastic sheath:

If you Google Mora knives, you will find that they lend very well to modifications, so I did a small one by putting a vinegar pantina on the blade. As for the plastic sheath, it is made for skinny Euro-belts and to hang off coveralls, so I thought to give making a new sheath a go. I don't have any pics of the actual process, but I think most of us have made sheaths before. What I did different was to dye (ox-blood) leather for the first time, and add on a fire steel holder. Also, I experimented with another way to make the belt loop, which involves making a fish tail cut into the leather, and weaving the tails through holes in the back of the sheath. I then tapped those with a hammer and left to dry with the knife inside the drying sheath, protected by plastic and tape.

The firesteel is held in a wooden needle container, of all things, a perfect fit and held secure by two small straps and copper rivets. Also, I thought it would be nice to add that small plate that I have from Michaels, with the quote by Tolkien, "not all those that wander..." attached with copper nails and glue. After the attachments, I buffed the sheath with beeswax.

Feel free to ask any questions, comments and critiques welcome!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Not sure where to fit in this one....

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's a very nice comfort-izing.

The plaque is a very nice touch! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Not sure where to fit in this one....

Post by E.MacKermak »

Very nice. I once met Mors Kochanski while I was in Canada with the Army and he was the first person to show me what a simple Mora knife is capable of. Up until then I was in the "Cult of Rambo" thinking bigger is better and I would need an expensive blade. His knife of choice was a Mora and he showed us that there were good quality blades out there that wouldn't break the bank. You have a good quality blade there.

As for remaking the sheath, it looks really good. I like the addition of the loop for the fire striker; even though it is modern it does not detract from the overall look. The plaque is also a nice touch as previously noted. I might have to steal that idea if I ever find something like that. You have a great knife and have made a beautiful sheath. Not sure what could be done about the red on the handle, but it is not glaringly fire-engine-red so it doesn't jump out and break the feel of a ranger's blade.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.