Urine Tanned Salmon leather.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Urine Tanned Salmon leather.

Post by caedmon »

Ok, I know what you're thinking. But urine was historically very useful and collected specifically for purposes like this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Urine-T ... n-Leather/
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Urine Tanned Salmon leather.

Post by Elleth »

Hunh..

.. you making some? :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Hunh..

.. you making some? :)

Not this year. Not going dip netting because we took to many last year, and I doubt tanning previously frozen skin is good.

But I set the link as a placeholder for a reason.

-Jack
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm under the understanding that urine can be used to put a patina on steel too. I haven't tried it. My customers can vouch for that - their blades didn't have a patina when they got them. :mrgreen:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

An undisclosed source I've read mentions flintlock barrels, before being fit to the gunstock, being heated to a dull red and repeatedly quenched in cow urine to brown the steel.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It's hard to believe that salmon skin would hold up to any use. I guess it's been done, though.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kortoso wrote:It's hard to believe that salmon skin would hold up to any use. I guess it's been done, though.
It was a fairly traditional textile material here in Alaska. What little I have read suggests that salmon leather is comparable in strength to sheepskin. It is waterproof, windproof, and light weight.

http://www.academia.edu/8869603/Fish_Sk ... _Cultutres
-Jack Horner

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eric C wrote:I'm under the understanding that urine can be used to put a patina on steel too. I haven't tried it. My customers can vouch for that - their blades didn't have a patina when they got them. :mrgreen:
Do you remember when they scaffolded and re-sheathed the Statue of liberty? The crew that was working on the face would work 8-10 hour shifts without coming down and they got the bright idea that when they needed to pee they would just let go between the scaffold and the ladies cheek. When the scaffold was removed the telltale tears the lady was crying was brought to light. Yes Urine will do a fine job for patina, a couple of brewsky induced streams will work even better.
(BTW the sheathing was not steel but the same applies for many metals)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: